General Historical Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redrup

One Nerdy Gamer
Reaction score
If anybody is interested in posting about anything of Historical Importance, past wars/people/events then this is the place to be. I'm looking for sexy debates people. Let's get it on.

Good idea seeing as the "Do you believe in God" thread is turning into a war.

Okay i start.

The USSR ws killed off my afganstian. thats my opinion. what you all think.

I think Afganstan war killed off detente as a policy between the east and the west. it also made the improving relantionships between the 2 countries and the American Publics Opinion on CUmmunist go back to the 1947 opinion. The cost of the war also out more strain on the Declining Economy in USSR. which never recovered

Chelsea have a good history..... Oh wait.

I say we bring the God discussion over here. Anybody who hasn't seen it - Clicky (It's about 3 pages long pages 7-9)

what a ******* discussion that was, absolutely amazing, personally i think joseph stalin is the most evil man in history, i will do some discussions later guys, going to watch lost

Okay i start.

I think Afganstan war killed off detente as a policy between the east and the west. it also made the improving relantionships between the 2 countries and the American Publics Opinion on CUmmunist go back to the 1947 opinion. The cost of the war also out more strain on the Declining Economy in USSR. which never recovered

What? I hope I'm not the only one who has no idea what that is.

I don't understand either. Not sure whether it's my surprising lack of Historical knowledge, his poor spelling or a huge misunderstanding on his part.

I don't understand either. Not sure whether it's my surprising lack of Historical knowledge, his poor spelling or a huge misunderstanding on his part.

Probaly the 2 latter, But what s it that particalu confusing.

Basically i thought this thread was for disscussing history,.

and i have been studying international relations in the last 80yrs currently. and i think the AFGANSTIAN war in 1970-80s was the reason for the Disbaning of the USSR( SOVET UNION.) then i listed a few reason.

Okay i start.

I dunno, you could argue that it was always gonna end badly for them when they tried to rival America in the space race and the development of Nuclear weapons, being in charge of Eastern Europe and being communist meant that there was very little money in it for them. They couldn't trade with any Capitalist nations unlike the Americans so money was always going to fall short. The Americans were pretty much working on a blank cheque. I think however, the USSR's failures in Afghanistan did contribute to there downfall because they were so adamant that they could invade it. Even today, we are seeing how resilient the Afghans really are.

To be fair I think the USSR would have been destroyed anyway, their aggresive ways would have caused friction between armys at some point, at that point they would be defeated and BOOM no more Soviet Union:

Probaly the 2 latter, But what s it that particalu confusing.

Basically i thought this thread was for disscussing history,.

and i have been studying international relations in the last 80yrs currently. and i think the AFGANSTIAN war in 1970-80s was the reason for the Disbaning of the USSR( SOVET UNION.) then i listed a few reason.

Understood. My historical knowledge simply doesn't broaden that far. I only have a few areas of general expertise. (K)

I can simply argue about:
WW2 and Germany around that time.
American War of Independence
American Civil War
Sengoku Jidai Period of Japan
The Three Kingdoms Era in China

(Any takers? :D)

I dunno, you could argue that it was always gonna end badly for them when they tried to rival America in the space race and the development of Nuclear weapons, being in charge of Eastern Europe and being communist meant that there was very little money in it for them. They couldn't trade with any Capitalist nations unlike the Americans so money was always going to fall short. The Americans were pretty much working on a blank cheque. I think however, the USSR's failures in Afghanistan did contribute to there downfall because they were so adamant that they could invade it. Even today, we are seeing how resilient the Afghans really are.

To be fair I think the USSR would have been destroyed anyway, their aggresive ways would have caused friction between armys at some point, at that point they would be defeated and BOOM no more Soviet Union:

Yh i used to think that, But i been doing a bit of coursework on Richards Nixons Policy of Detente. The USSR and USA started to Trade during this peroids. SALT one and two where also signed. relantionships started to re-grow. Western European Countries where going to russia to discuss politics and Treaties. But then Afganstan happens. Detente is over. America Cancel Salt 2. it all back to square one.

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 AM ----------

Understood. My historical knowledge simply doesn't broaden that far. I only have a few areas of general expertise. (K)

I can simply argue about:
WW2 and Germany around that time.
American War of Independence
American Civil War
Sengoku Jidai Period of Japan
The Three Kingdoms Era in China

(Any takers? :D)

well i could talk a little bit about **** Germany and hitlers raise to power. but it was 3 yrs ago i did that now.

I want an argument on the origins of the thieves of Ostia. I myself am unconvinced by contemporary theories on said topic.

Re opening this thread in the hope that it does not become cluttered with 100 different topics or ruined because of arguments. Enjoy the thread and the discussions.

maybe we should have set debates rather than 4 or 5 going on at once, if it gets like that, thatd be confusing as fuckk..

Thread Re-opened.

It needs to be said though that this thread needs to remain spam free for it to remain open and running smoothly. So no Man U - Liverpool discussions here like I seem to see everywhere else please.

What does everybody think is the main factor in the Rise of Hitler to power? I believe that would to be the Weimer Republic in general. The people of Germany were and are still very proud, as a result they could simply not bare to be bent over like they were when the 'November criminals' signed the Treaty of Versailles that they deemed completely unfair due to it's extreme punishments to the country. In my opinion I feel that they would always look for someone to stand up and try to take control of the situation as the Weimar Constitution was hated by many, giving Hitler the opportunity he wanted. I can honestly say that if the treaty was much more soft on the German people - or if it was never signed - then Hitler would not have got the opportunity to rise.

Well, I think i'll bring up the topic of Germany's downfall in WW2.

Am I the only person that thinks Hitler lost the war because he tried to invade Russia?

Related but different, if he would have succesfully invaded Russia do you think we'd be typing in German now?

Hitler's rise to power had a lot to do with the fact Germany were proper screwed after WWI
The German people saw Hitler as their saviour who could restore their pride and broken infrastucture
Also the fact that he eliminated all his competition as soon as he got into power

Thread closed.

Its far too general, its basically a general discussion.

Someone asked why close a thread thats got lots of posts with different things, well thing how hard it is in real life, even in a chatroom to be heared or have a proper discussion when theres 10 differetn convos going on at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.