Global Warming/Climate Change

Nixon

Reaction score
Love my topical threads :wub: Couldn't find a similar thread (searched all the words in the title) but this can be deleted if one exists.

The terrible earthquake and tsunami in Japan made me consider the idea of climate change yet again. I'm still not convinced either way by arguments for and against it, so I'd like to see the thoughts of the wise (and not so wise) people of Fm-Base.

Anyway, global warming - truth or myth? Discuss.

myth as i have yet to see this so called "Global Warming" in Scotland as its still always rains here

How can global warming/climate change affect the earths tectonic plates? It has nothing to do with the disaster in Japan. Global warming is just a theory. I personally don't believe in it (recently changed my opinion)

Global warming-naturally occuring. Completely man made-total myth. Man doesn't make volcanoes erupt to create more global warming gases. These sort of gases would have been around during pre-historic times

Not enough substantial evidence, but we may as well do something because the alternative of doing nothing is far worst. :)

myth as i have yet to see this so called "Global Warming" in Scotland as its still always rains here

I hope that's just a poor joke.

Global warming-naturally occuring. Completely man made-total myth. Man doesn't make volcanoes erupt to create more global warming gases. These sort of gases would have been around during pre-historic times

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/bams-state-of-the-climate/2009.php

Not enough substantial evidence, but we may as well do something because the alternative of doing nothing is far worst. :)

Not enough substantial evidence for what? The Earth is on a warming trend, Ice shelves and glaciers are shrinking, there's more CO2​ in the atmosphere than ever before. All facts, the only thing which is still up for debate is whether it's because of Humans or not.

First off, Global warming is real, however its a natural phenomena and not caused by the Greenhouse Effect
Greenhouse effect is completely political and isnt funny that you almost never hear about it from scientist, its always politicians like Al Gore, Kevin Rudd

secondly, climate change does not effect the earth crust, whatever you believe in "greenhouse effect" or anything else, that earthquake still would of happened, its natural and happens all the time (just not on this scale)

Oh and Lee, if your a supporter of stuff such as the greenhouse effect, care to explain the massive cooling period between 1940-1970? a time where a world war was fought and place like America became complete and utter industrial giants? When the USSR changed from being a massive peasant farming society to a Communist Super Power. These things just tell me its not real

Last edited:

There is definatly enough substantial evidence to say the climate is warming! Just not enough evidence to say whether its just part of naturally occuring cliamte cycles, or whether its human caused!
How ever, rock record evidnce also shows that higher temperatures globally, do coincide with higher CO2 levels in the atmosphere, so it is likely that it has had some impact! How much, however can be disputed

Not enough substantial evidence for what? The Earth is on a warming trend, Ice shelves and glaciers are shrinking, there's more CO2​ in the atmosphere than ever before. All facts, the only thing which is still up for debate is whether it's because of Humans or not.

I meant substantial evidence for global warming theory, not climate temperatures increasing. Should have made that clear.

ome people are idiots.

of course global warming and climate change is real.

for the last couple of years in britain and ireland we have had actual snow......................... in the last few years we have had "storm" type wind and rain in novemeber-december and then large snow falls in december-january. **** noone who watchs football should think otherwise. we have had a winter break the last couple of seasons... it may not be an official winter break but it was a winter break.

before this japan incident we have had the new zealand disaster and the australian.

this is the worst EVER earthquake in japan. last year the mid west of ireland had its ONLY ever earthquake. not too long ago new orleans was the new lost world of atlantis and tai land was almost wiped off the face of the globe with a tsunami. and what about the hurricane in birmingham............................ also the mini twisters that went through the oxegen festival a couple years back

of course its fecking real.

if you read anything about the global warming "myth" then you would know that earthquakes can be caused by climate change.

of course i doubt the "myth"-team have even bothered to research the topic before forming an opinion.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

put a sponge into the microwave and put it on for a minute and you will see how the greenhouse effect can cause earthquakes and volcanoes

I'm going to be honest, and say I'm not the brightest person, so when I clicked that link, I just saw mass of diagrams, words and all sorts that pretty much destroyed my brain. All I was pretty much saying was though, that there is global warming, and we are probably accelarating it with fossil fuels. Which is why we need nuclear power. But thats on another thread. But human kind isn't the only ones doing it. Its nature aswell.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

ome people are idiots.

for the last couple of years in britain and ireland we have had actual snow......................... in the last few years we have had "storm" type wind and rain in novemeber-december and then large snow falls in december-january. **** noone who watchs football should think otherwise. we have had a winter break the last couple of seasons... it may not be an official winter break but it was a winter break.

before this japan incident we have had the new zealand disaster and the australian.

this is the worst EVER earthquake in japan. last year the mid west of ireland had its ONLY ever earthquake. not too long ago new orleans was the new lost world of atlantis and tai land was almost wiped off the face of the globe with a tsunami. and what about the hurricane in birmingham............................ also the mini twisters that went through the oxegen festival a couple years back

if you read anything about the global warming "myth" then you would know that earthquakes can be caused by climate change.

of course i doubt the "myth"-team have even bothered to research the topic before forming an opinion.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

put a sponge into the microwave and put it on for a minute and you will see how the greenhouse effect can cause earthquakes and volcanoes

Any need to be insulting? Its a forum, not everyone is clued up. Just chill and let people be educated reasonably, without someone calling them an "idiot".

Last edited:
Oh and Lee, if your a supporter of stuff such as the greenhouse effect, care to explain the massive cooling period between 1940-1970? a time where a world war was fought and place like America became complete and utter industrial giants? When the USSR changed from being a massive peasant farming society to a Communist Super Power. These things just tell me its not real

Although temperatures increased overall during the 20th century, three distinct periods can be observed. Global warming occurred both at the beginning and at the end of the 20th century, but a cooling trend is seen from about 1940 to 1975. As a result, changes in 20th century trends offer a good framework through which to understand climate change and the role of numerous factors in determining the climate at any one time.

Early and late 20th century warming has been explained primarily by increasing solar activity and increasing CO2 concentrations, respectively, with other factors contributing in both periods. So what caused the cooling period that interrupted the overall trend in the middle of the century? The answer seems to lie in solar dimming, a cooling phenomenon caused by airborne pollutants.

The main culprit is likely to have been an increase in sulphate aerosols, which reflect incoming solar energy back into space and lead to cooling. This increase was the result of two sets of events.

Industrial activities picked up following the Second World War. This, in the absence of pollution control measures, led to a rise in aerosols in the lower atmosphere (the troposphere).
A number of volcanic eruptions released large amounts of aerosols in the upper atmosphere (the stratosphere).

Combined, these events led to aerosols overwhelming the warming trend at a time when solar activity showed little variation, leading to the observed cooling. Furthermore, it is possible to draw similar conclusions by looking at the daily temperature cycle. Because sunlight affects the maximum day-time temperature, aerosols should have a noticeable cooling impact on it. Minimum night-time temperatures, on the other hand, are more affected by greenhouse gases and therefore should not be affected by aerosols. Were these differences observed? The answer is yes: maximum day-time temperatures fell during this period but minimum night-time temperatures carried on rising.

The introduction of pollution control measures reduced the emission of sulphate aerosols. Gradually the cumulative effect of increasing greenhouse gases started to dominate in the 1970s and warming resumed.

As a final point, it should be noted that in 1945, the way in which sea temperatures were measured changed, leading to a substantial drop in apparent temperatures. Once the data are corrected, it is expected that the cooling trend in the middle of the century will be less pronounced.

source

ome people are idiots.

Sigh.

You realise the "myth" team are usually scientists trying to prove or disprove the global warming theory, so actually they know their stuff. It's cute how you call everyone idiot's for doubting global warming, when all you have shown here is data. You can draw theories from the data, but you can't prove a theory. I can drop something to the ground and could claim that it's magic pixies dragging it to the floor, does that make my theory plausible since I have data?

Actually it isn't the worst ever earthquake in Japan, it's the worst recorded earthquake. It's estimated it's the worst in 1000 years, does not mean there wasn't larger earthquakes before - you know, before man started polluting?. I can also counter your "argument" of us having climate rises now, with the fact there have been climate changes throughout history. Since we don't yet have a valid theory on these current changes, we cannot differentiate between the two.

Ignorance is awesome.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Any need to be insulting? Its a forum, not everyone is clued up. Just chill and let people be educated reasonably, without someone calling them an "idiot".

I think he was doing to opposite of educating. ;)

Japan is on a plate border so that earthquake was waiting to happen.
Global Warming occurs naturally anyways it's the way the work works. Go into a warming period then a cooling one then a glacial one and so on...
Although now it is being sped up by all the CO2 and what not.

Oh, and reading backwards it looks like I'm supporting scepticism. As from my my first post, I'm not. Obviously just because climate change occurred naturally in the past doesn't mean we aren't changing it now. Just pointing out since global warming is still fundamentally theoretical, people aren't "idiots" for being sceptical.

How do we know that by us taking thousands of litres of oil out of the ground isn't causing these shifts in the earth? I mean, what is left after we extract the oil? Just a massive gap which earth then has the space to move in to.. Think about it.

There's always been changes in the global temperature, and it usually occurs right before an ice age.

There's always been changes in the global temperature, and it usually occurs right before an ice age.

Yep agree with you. Although industrialism and what not has been speeding it up due to all the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Before it used to happen at a slower rate but now due to what I have said above it is happening much quicker.