Home and Away tactic vs one tactic all season??

mcbgun

Reaction score
Hey guys, feel free to move this if its in the wrong place....

I've freshened up my approach to football manager by reading various styles of managing on this forum. All good stuff and informative!

I'm currently east stirling and have won successive promotions, winning the third and second division in my first two seasons. Right now I'm second, playing well at home with 3 out of 3 wins, but away I'm not doing well at all.

It seems that flooding the midfield with a 4 5 1 away worked supremely well in the lower divisions because I presume the quality of midfielders is so poor that if you have good technical players in your team you can essentially pass them to death and outgun them.

This has not been the case this season (as expected). This is where my tactical weaknesses show themselves because I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Do I modify my away formation to be a more defensive version of the OOscotsman breaking point tactic that I'm using at home and abandon my 4 5 1 concept? Or are there any recommendations on solid away formations?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I feel that I'm almost there in terms of my team management skills etc. Just need to solve the scottish division 1 riddle!

Cheers guys as always

Mcbgun

change mentality to counter when away from home change passing to direct down both flanks

I use a single formation all the season. However, I do change the tactical system when I play away from home (against equal or better teams). For example: I play 4-1-3-2 with more attacking mentality when at home and the same 4-1-3-2 when away but with counter atacking mentality when I play away. I don't like to use 2 different tactical formations because in these case I need more players (which i don't like) and I need more money to buy those players. As I was saying, I play 4-1-3-2, so this means it's wingless. If I would have a second tactical formation, maybe it would be with wingers, but then I would need money to buy them.

As a conclusion, I stick to a single tactic all the season. I just change it's settings when it's needed but I never change my player's position on the pitch.