How do you respond to players getting sent off?

How do you react to player sent off?

• I do absolutely nothing

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I try to keep tight defensively, sub a forward for a defender.

Votes: 27 58.7%
  • I send more players forward

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters

CorvetteC3

Reaction score
After watching last nights Champions league match between Bayern and Lyon and seeing Lyon unable to take advantage of the numerical advantage they had after Ribery's (rightful) dismissal and before Toulalan's red card, I started thinking how do you cope with players getting sent off in FM. Both yours and the opposition players. Do you send more players forward trying to overload the vacated position? Substitute a forward for a defender when your center back gets sent off? All views and opinions welcome.

If its in mid or def I sub or move a striker to the position. If its a striker then its one up front time. Tactically I drop from overload to either Att or Counter depending on opposition. It varies really, what I do is detemined by formation/tacticts and the oppositon.

if one of my players get sent off:

1) attacker - play 1 upfront and stick to game plan
2) midfield - if playing with 2 strikers, sub one out for new mid (especially if Cm)
3) defence - sub out striker if 2 stick to game plan

(most of the time a play attacking and then defensive, sometime i play defensive against a lower team, works well for me, keeps me possession)

if one of their players get sent off:

1) i keep to my orignal game plan, the numbers will definately work against them! ( if im 0:0 then i would play more attacking) but if im leading then its even straight to defensive to see out the rest of the game if im more than 1:0 up)

i dont usually get players sent off apart from on my Newcastle season where Joey Barton does it for fun, but if i do get somebody sent off i don`t tend to change anything around.

Let's make things more difficult and say you've used all your subs. What do you do then? Move players out of position to keep a decent formation defensively? Change focus passing to one flank?

If it's a violent sending-off, then they get fined 2 weeks.

If it's a straight red for something else, I give them a warning. If it's two yellows, then I don't really care.

When the Com gets a player sent off , I slow down my passing and play wider , it seems to work well and tires them out chasing the ball around.

When ever any of my players tend to get sent off i give them 3 warnings then if still get red cards ect i will fine them but aint got that far to have 4 reds in a season since playing FM :p and ill normally take off my winger and play a more narrow line up or take of the player with the worst rating XD

sometimes when im down to ten men i just turn to 4-2-2-1 formation and change strategy to counter , and use retain possession , i never concede at this point and 80% of the time you score on the counter :)

When my playerws get sent off I normally get a defender on for a forwrd if one of my defenders are sent off.I change strategy to counter as I will expect to lose the battle for possesion and change my passing to more direct.Most of the time as the opposing team will push players forward i get more space to exploit behind their defensive line and will score on the counter