stothy862

Reaction score
Original Thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/236526-Stothy-s-False-Nine

I recently stumbled across an article about a not so common football system called the false nine, It has been attempted by many teams most significantly in recent times by Manchester United (In the Ronaldo days) The team in essence plays with no attackers but uses the winger to cut in and shoot. The attack mid or the lone striker pulls the centre backs further forward by sitting deep and working in a play maker role.

I was very intrigued by whether this worked and after some research I saw that some people had attempted this not very successfully but it did work. So I set about my own tactic! Behold, Stothy's False Nine!
Woking%20%28Woking_%20Tactics%29-7.png

As you can see I opted for both the Attacker and Attack midfielder position. The Striker drops deep and the Attack midfielder attacks with the Wingers. I find the Attack mid to be the most deadly position of the lot! But goals are fairly spread out between players!

I don't like the new tactics system so I opted for the old one and It seems to have worked well! I would like your opinions and suggestions! I love it and 2 season in my Woking team are topping their league!

Stothy's False Nine v1

Stothy's False Nine v2

Currently Incorporates:

• False Nine
  • Nike Defence
  • 5x5 Attack/Defence
  • Elements of Kawee's Invincible's

Known Issues:
  • Leaky Defence From Centre
  • Too direct passing
  • Can't Defend Throw ins!

Thanks to Kawee, aleksiss, Elhan and mojojojo101.

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

This is one of the sort of things a false 9 can achieve!

1.png

Jeffers is open for a pass being tracked by a centre back.

2.png

Jeffers receives and the centre back goes in to tackle him, leaving lots of room in the centre for Newton.

3.png

Newton recieve in a one on one position

4.png

Newton Scores!

looks quite like my system , i will try this soon and report , but how did you gave the players those arrows or barrows ?

looks quite like my system , i will try this soon and report , but how did you gave the players those arrows or barrows ?

Convert the tactic to classic and either right click and drag or change the run from deep option.

tx a lot 4 info, but i'm getting used to the new system so np here ;)

tx a lot 4 info, but i'm getting used to the new system so np here ;)

That's alright! But really? I have found a 10x + improvement with the classic system! So what's your tactic called?

Is there a version that uses the new system? (so i can use the touchline shouts)

If it works for Woking, it should work for Blackburn (though I think have too many strikers- Kalinic, Araujo, Griffiths, Benjani)

Would it work better if the pitch were wider?

Last edited:
Is there a version that uses the new system? (so i can use the touchline shouts)

If it works for Woking, it should work for Blackburn (though I think have too many strikers- Kalinic, Araujo, Griffiths, Benjani)

Would it work better if the pitch were wider?

No sorry, I don't like the touchline shouts! Too much to think about, I prefer just to tweak the tactic. Yes probably do have too many strikers there, you want someone who is good at the deep lying striker role.

No, the pitch is better narrower because that way your wingers are still very close to the centre so can cut inside!

Despite all that, please do give it a go :)

I've always had one problem with the false nine. The theory is that the striker drops deep and pretends to be a classic no.9 physcial etc, and when he drops deep, the central defenders man mark and get dragged out of position which is exploited by inside forward, but surely if the opposing team uses zonal marking, they wont get dragged out of position which means it will fail.
Can someone clarify that?

I've always had one problem with the false nine. The theory is that the striker drops deep and pretends to be a classic no.9 physcial etc, and when he drops deep, the central defenders man mark and get dragged out of position which is exploited by inside forward, but surely if the opposing team uses zonal marking, they wont get dragged out of position which means it will fail.
Can someone clarify that?

Ahh yes this is one thing that people can be mistaken by, but let me draw you a diagram!

diagram.png

Each defender has there own zone, the stiker enters this Zone and the defender follow him. As the striker is on the edge of the area a massive gap appears, he could even track back a little bit as the CB is now set on marking him (to an extent of course!) so the AM or Wingers have loads of room in the centre to make a critical pass and score!

Attacking fullbacks/wingbacks, inside forwards cutting in, and a striker that drops deep.

Wingbacks provide width, your "wingers" cut in, best played with fast dribblers, high flair, high finishing and technique.

And play with their strong foot inside, like Messi in Barcelona.

Just give your players "cuts inside" PPM option.

In essence is this not just a 4-2-3-1 with wingbacks?

Yes but the 4-2-3-1 Leaves the wings open to too much attack! The fullbacks are too far back and the wingers are too far forward so there are lots of goals scored from crosses!

Ahh yes this is one thing that people can be mistaken by, but let me draw you a diagram!

diagram.png

Each defender has there own zone, the stiker enters this Zone and the defender follow him. As the striker is on the edge of the area a massive gap appears, he could even track back a little bit as the CB is now set on marking him (to an extent of course!) so the AM or Wingers have loads of room in the centre to make a critical pass and score!

Ahh thanks i understand now :D

It works for a team which uses a high defensive line and a lot of pressure in pressing.

Wingers do not provide width, the fullbacks do.

If your full backs are so attack minded, you will push THEIR wingers back to help defend, and make them extremely uncomfortable.

I think you will also like 4-3-2-1 Christmas Tree with attacking wing backs and a centre-forward who drops back creating a 4-3-1-2/2-3-3-2 in attack. Try it, it works brilliantly if you have very high skilled centre forward.

Glad I helped! :)

It works for a team which uses a high defensive line and a lot of pressure in pressing.

Wingers do not provide width, the fullbacks do.

If your full backs are so attack minded, you will push THEIR wingers back to help defend, and make them extremely uncomfortable.

I think you will also like 4-3-2-1 Christmas Tree with attacking wing backs and a centre-forward who drops back creating a 4-3-1-2/2-3-3-2 in attack. Try it, it works brilliantly if you have very high skilled centre forward.

Wingers CAN provide width in the attacking area when off the ball. Yes exactly, If their wingers have less room they pose less of a threat!

I see what you are getting at yes, but my CF is Francis Jeffers so no thanks ;) I'm playing low league football at the moment so that wont really help me or the people I am aiming this at... EVERYONE. I want every team to be able to play with the false nine not just the best teams!

My philosophy, attack is the best defense. :D

Well I like attacking football, even if I lose!!! So let's get those wing backs to start piling pressure on the enemy and make turn their wingers into defensive wingbacks!!! LOL.

I will definitely give this a go.

Personally I go for style and flair in this game, try to play the most exciting football or even if it's not the most exciting, go for a particular brand.

My philosophy, attack is the best defense. :D

Well I like attacking football, even if I lose!!! So let's get those wing backs to start piling pressure on the enemy and make turn their wingers into defensive wingbacks!!! LOL.

I will definitely give this a go.

Personally I go for style and flair in this game, try to play the most exciting football or even if it's not the most exciting, go for a particular brand.

I agree completely! But also remember: If you don't concede you can't lose! :D

Lol I'll stick to wing backs thank you ;) It was a big risk at that!

Yes exactly, the better the club you are please experiment with Tempo, Passing style and Creative Freedom as I made these more suitable for lower league clubs!

No sorry, I don't like the touchline shouts! Too much to think about, I prefer just to tweak the tactic. Yes probably do have too many strikers there, you want someone who is good at the deep lying striker role.

No, the pitch is better narrower because that way your wingers are still very close to the centre so can cut inside!

Despite all that, please do give it a go :)

Looks like Kalinic will fill the deep forward role. I think this might be more effective for teams like Bolton, where Big Kev is there to supply. Although if its possible i might move up the AMC to ST and accomodate a fast player that will move in for the kill after the defender is dragged out by Kalinic- what's your verdict on this one?

---------- Post added at 04:32 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 05:31 PM ----------

I can't believe its working so well!

I had Griffiths in AMC (not a natural AMC), working a treat.

Might I recommend setting the gk to kick it to the striker on goal kick