How to get in the gaming industry and what jobs are there to offer?

rikkyponnting

Jul 30, 2010
In 11th grade (Junior) in high school. I'm really interested in going into the gaming industry. All my life, I have had nothing but a passion for games and movies. Going into the industry would be a dream. I'm clueless as to how to get into it though. What do I go to college for and what jobs are there within the gaming field? And how much do they pay? Please any links or additional info would be helpful. Thanks!

Alcaraz

Jun 15, 2010
My uncle is in the gaming industry,I know that the salary you get depends really on the type of job you hold in the company eg.Programmer,Creative Director and the company you are in eg.Bungie,Rockstar Studios

Cal.

≡
Apr 6, 2010
It's very competitive now, and from the sounds of it you're American, I'd imagine it's even more competitive over there. If you don't know what field you want to go into yet you'd be best off doing a general Game Development course at 'college' which would cover design, programming, GUIs, writing and 2D/3D graphics & animation, as well as helping you to build a good portfolio. Salary won't be good anything special to start with, after that it's down to your skills, brown nosing and networking to work your way up the ladder (the games development industry is largely contract based, especially lower down the chain).

I was going to follow this route, just finished my 'Game Development ' course at college this year (equivalent to junior and senior years), but it was absolute ****. Was going to do a 4 year sandwich course at uni in Video Game Art & Design, but can't afford to spend another 4 years in education now...

snwr

Aug 26, 2020
It’s very hard thing right now, and from an American ideology, I think it’s even more tougher there. I learn from dissertation writing help now. Oyaya will not have anything good specifically to start with, after he has come down to his skills, brown corset and Network to work his way up the ladder (game development companies are very much in agreement , even below the chain).