How to improve away record?

• Thread starter Thread starter Red4Life
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 2K

Red4Life

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have just recently got the game and I chose to manager Liverpool (May have been a mistake for my first season) and the expectations are to win the title, and surprisingly, I was only given 2.3M pounds to spend in the transfer market and that is just not enough! I have only bought one young player who looked like he has potential but he is not that good ATM... Anyway, I have played 5 league games already and I am lying 7th with 2 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses.
The 2 losses are the 2 away games I played and my season goes like this:

I played against Sunderland at home and drew 0 - 0
Then played Fulham at home and won 4 - 0
then played against Norwich City away and lost 2 - 1
then played Stoke at Home and won 7 - 0!!
then lost to QPR away 2 - 1

How can I beat stoke 7 - 0 in one game, then lose to QPR the next week?? I am supposed to be mounting a title challenge and it doesn't seem to be working!

My default formation is the 4-4-2 Diamond... I play Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll upfront with Stevie G or Charlie Adam behind them and I play Kuyt on the right and Downing on the left, and Lucas Leiva as a holding midfielder behind.

Last edited:
Liverpool are a hard team to be on Football Manager, as they are not consistent enough. I always do a save with them as they're my supported club.

You could try going into player instructions and editing that to make the players play a more specific way, or just simply try a different formation like 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3?

OK, this year FM seems to put more stock in Home/Away games than ever before, away you need to play counter-attacking, direct and quick. Keep the defenders and the more non-creative players passing short to minimise the risk of losing possession and the more creative players on direct to get the ball forward before the opponants have a chance to re-group.

You need to allow some time for the players to learn the formation too, any weaknesses will obviously be exposed when you're playing away from home. You're a new manager too, so they will take a while to listen to you, to trust you. I bought M. Gotze in my first season, first game for Arsenal, and it took him 2 seasons before the message (from memory) 'Finds it difficult to adhere to your tactics due to your inexperience as a manager' after that he exploded into a massive threat to the opposition.

Back