Importance Of Morale - Phatmos Morale Theory

Phatmos

Reaction score
Firstly let me say I believe Team Talks are one of the most important aspects in the FM series if you are to create a successful season. There are many great tactics out there, many tactical theorem's all of which i use myself and helps add to my success. But without the right balance of Morale in the squad, no matter how good your tactic is. Your not going get the most out of your squad. This is a TT Theory i wrote up, for FM09 & I can say it's working in FM10 as well. Why? Because Sports interactive have not changed or expanded on their team talk options.

I add my thanks to Tyler_Bode if he is still on the scene. It was from some instructions of his that i expanded on this theory.

So you have your three team talks within a game.

Pre Match:

*If your favourites for the game then do not give a team talk, regardless of being home or away
*If your playing a rival team then set team talk [For the Fans]
*If underdog, At home set team talk [We can win today] If Away [Wish Team Luck]

The rival and underdog team talks make sense to me although im still baffled with the favourites team talk being nothing, i can only think this is to not cause overconfidence pre game.

Half Time:

*If your winning the game then do not give a team talk.
*Drawing the game, this is a little more complicated, If your doing better than the other team then don't give a team talk. If your doing worse then the other team set team talk to [Want to see more from you] or [Disappointed] Why this is trickier is because it can be hard to tell who is playing better when drawing. So i would suggest you check match statistics and make a decision from that.
* If Losing set team talk to [Want to see more from you] or [Disappointed]

The half time team talks can really have a big effect turning the result your way. for example [Want to see more from you] [Where's the passion] can turn your result from 2v0 down to winning 3v2 iv'e seen this happen many times and the AI uses it as well. look for "the manager must have said something at half time" in commentary it appears for the AI as well as you. But do not overuse it, mix it up with [Disappointed] for your half time team talks. It's my belief that if I was to say [Want to see more from you] every time my team were losing it's would be come less effective each time because the talk loses stimulus for the players.

End Result:

* The end result team talk is always the same regardless of result! You give the team talk, according to player ratings not end result.
*5.0 or under [Disappointed]
*5.1 to 7.9 [Well done]
*8.0 or higher [Delighted]

I believe you can experiment with this. For a lower league team who are not anything great, you would be best to stay with outlook on end result talks i have posted. Because your players are not as capable of achieving high ratings unless they have a great game. For example i have been playing the championship for two season and yet to see any of my players get a 9+ rating, but in the premiership i see this happen a few time per season. Maybe it's just luck.

Here is where you can experiment, if your playing premiership football, or top league football around the world. Then you could look at altering the end result team talk. Because it's very unlikely that the likes of Rio or Terry are going to ever drop lower then 5.0.

So an example for better teams.

*5.5 or under[Disappointed]
*5.6 to 8.4 [Well Done]
*8.5 or Higher [Delighted]

I believe this could work better because, say your Man Utd. Your tactic is good, you have good training and generally your achieving good results. The problem is Overconfidence! the team has superb morale, but because of this they "believe" they can win without little effort and that's when things go down hill. From personal experience I have played a lot with Arsenal on FM, were doing great then half way through the season, we start drawing & losing. I'm baffled because I'm doing everything the same and morale appears to be good, the problem is overconfidence, the players have stopped working for the wins.

So to the point, why raise the bar for better clubs, because it's more likely that a player will go under 5.5 than 5.0 and your strikers are more likely to get 8.0's. If your at top club level, So don't reward them as easily in morale, this will stop them becoming overconfident and they will always be looking to improve their game in order to receive your praise.

All i can say is, following this Theory is not going to hurt, it's worth a shot. Please give me your feedback & Follow it for at least 15 games.

Hope you enjoyed reading, i thought this would be a useful for people just coming into the game and the more experienced users.

I shall give this ago, I usually left this to my assistant unless i didn't like what he said and changed it

Np guys, post any changes you see, results etc... Thanks :)

il try this out

what about things like no pressure if your playing a young player ?

il try this out

what about things like no pressure if your playing a young player ?

That may be a good idea, I would go by how much first team experience he has had. If it's the players first or second game, i can imagine this type of talk would benefit his game. But if he is a youngster who is playing fairly regularly in your squad then i wouldn't use this, because he will develop the habit that there is little pressure for him to perform at all. Another point for example. Say your Wolves playing Manchester Utd & You are playing the youngster for the second time, your not going to be expecting him to peform. (The opposition has to much quality & he lacks first team experince) so by saying "no pressure" he may actually be able to express himself on the pitch a little more and end up putting in a decent performance for you.

Have a go at tinkering with that and see what works best for you.

About the talking at the end of the match, u spoke about players rating. But do u give a personal talk to each player in relation to his rating, or a global talk to all the team in answer to the average rating of the whole team???

_perfido_

these are good, but why well done at 5.1? imo thats an awful rating, id say 5.7 or above but thatrs my opinion

About the talking at the end of the match, u spoke about players rating. But do u give a personal talk to each player in relation to his rating, or a global talk to all the team in answer to the average rating of the whole team???

_perfido_

You give a talk to each individual player based on his rating at full time.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

these are good, but why well done at 5.1? imo thats an awful rating, id say 5.7 or above but thatrs my opinion

Well like i said through my article you should experiment with scores in relation to the individual players. I'm not trying to say that what I wrote up is exactly what you must follow. Experiment with it, if people give me feedback i may even be able to strengthen the theory. Personally (well done) with a 5.1 + rating has always worked for me. But give it a go with 5.7+ It's possible it could have the effect of making your players work harder in matches, because you have raised the bar of what is expected of them.

Give me the feedback if you go that route, thanks

P.S. I Do actually mention in the write up that for better teams you could use 5.5+ (well done) 5.1+ is an example of where you should start off if your not to sure & want to run this through to see how it goes & tinker with it afterwords.

Last edited:
This is more or less what i do anyway. I see myself as the angry scotsman shouting the head off at players who play bad. I usually tell them i am disappointed with anything less than a 6.7

Younger playes how every i try to show faith because you cannot shout at the wee kids.

These are good, I sort of do this anyway, but yeah I get it wrong sometimes when drawing at HT.

This is more or less what i do anyway. I see myself as the angry scotsman shouting the head off at players who play bad. I usually tell them i am disappointed with anything less than a 6.7

Younger playes how every i try to show faith because you cannot shout at the wee kids.
You're not a manager Kris, just an angry bully :'( :p

**** right! My players would be out there thinking 'if i don't pick up a bit that ugly so and so will start screaming at me in his weird accent'

Team talks probably have more of an impact on results than tactics.These are the same intstructions that Tylerbode gave with his tactics and they worked for him so cheers.

also i found usually if i bring on a sub at half time depending on the options i usually tell him i have faith in his ability or he can be the difference

**** right! My players would be out there thinking 'if i don't pick up a bit that ugly so and so will start screaming at me in his weird accent'
Ha Haa :p

And yeah like JP said, this was on Tylerblode's tactics.

Just followed your instructions for a game against Roma,im Inter and was unbeaten in something like 50 odd games,thank god i saved the game before the match:

Ive just replayed the game using my usual teamtalk theorys.

just followed your instructions for a game against roma,im inter and was unbeaten in something like 50 odd games,thank god i saved the game before the match:

ha! Ha!! Ha!!!. <)

Last edited: