Scott Dickson

Reaction score
I apologise to those who were following my previous FM15 story. My previous attempt at this story suffered from a corrupt file and as a result I have had to start again. Thankfully I was not that far into my story so should be able to get to the point I was at fairly quickly. Anyway, after finding my joy for the game again, I decided to start a story with my favourite club. St Mirren Football Club are one of the oldest clubs in Scotland.

Background
Formed in 1877, the Paisley outfit are known for playing in black and white stripes - and being the only Football Club in history to sack Sir Alex Ferguson as their manager.

Nicknamed the "Buddies" and unofficially the "Saints", the club have been plying their trade in Scotland's top flight since 2006. The club have won the Scottish Cup on three occasions - 1926, 1959 and 1987, but have never won the Scottish Premiership - their highest record position is 3rd place.

St Mirren are a club steeped in rich history. In 1922, the club won the Barcelona Cup and became the first British team to bring a cup back from mainland Europe. On the 13th August 1966, Archie Gemmill became the first tactical substitute in Scottish football, when he replaced Jim Clunie. In 2001. Ronaldinho signed for French Club Paris Saint Germain, and considered spending 6 months on loan at St Mirren while awaiting a permit. However a fake passport scandal in Brazil put an end to that.

Stadium History

Initially a cricket club, St Mirren played their first ever game at Shortroods, defeating Johnstone Britannia 1-0 - where John Goold scored the clubs first ever goal. In 1879 the Paisley club moved to Abingdon Park, however spend just a single season here before moving to Thistle Park in 1879. This ground was the home of the clubs first ever National competitive game, where they put 3 past Johnstone Athletic in a 3-0 victory. Westmarch became the Buddies 4th home. The final 2 games ever played in this ground produced 23 goals. Dundee left on the back of a 10-3 defeat in 1894, and a few weeks later Abercorn suffered a 10-0 loss in the Paisley Charity Cup Final. 1894 saw St Mirren move to the much loved St Mirren Park A.K.A Love Street. This is the stadium which I grew up with, and is deeply en-grained in the heart of every Saints fan. In 2009, the final game was played in this ground, with an emotional 0-0 draw to SPL club Motherwell - 115 years of Love Street history came to an end.

1km away lay the Saints new Stadium - St Mirren Park or Greenhill Road. This site was minutes away from the clubs previous grounds of Thistle Park and Westmarch. Over the course of the second half of the 2009/10 season, the press mistakenly called the ground New St Mirren Park - where fans adopted the name.

Ambition, Passion, Delusion

St Mirren are a club with European aspirations, but since their promotion to Scotland's top flight in 2006, they have failed to finish inside the top 6, never mind obtaining a spot to compete amongst the European Elite.

However, with the recent success in the Scottish League Cup in 2013, there is a new energy surrounding the Paisley outfit. The current crop of youth players provide the fans with high hopes for the future, and the potential for a place in Europe for the first time since 1987.

The club must, however, overcome their difficulties first. With the Board of Directors turning their interests elsewhere, funding for the first team is limited. As the club looks for new investors, the current squad suffers. Poor league form for the 2013/14 campaign led to the dismissal of League Cup manager Danny Lennon. Criminal behaviour of club favourite Paul McGowan, has resulted in the star midfielder's transfer to newly promoted club, Dundee. Injury to local hero Steven Thompson, has left the club without their star striker, and their key hope of survival for the 2014/15 season.

Fans are quickly becoming fed up with the current direction of the club and are seeking change. They demand better league results, they demand better league positions, and they demand European football.

Who will be the man to realise these ambitions?

BREAKING NEWS: ROOKIE TO TAKE OVER BUDDIES

St Mirren Football Club have appointed Scott Dickson as their new manager for the 2014/15 Scottish Premier League season. Local born Dickson takes over in his first ever managerial role after being appointed by the Board of Directors following Mr Dickson's outburst at the clubs recent AGM.

Mr Dickson exclaimed that the club had been poorly run and managed since Chairman Gilmour took over and was challenged by the board to do a better job. It is believed the board hired Dickson while they seek to sell the club, and are looking to keep outgoing costs to a minimum while they secure a deal.

Fans are said to
be outraged by the appointment of a man with zero experience to the helm of their football club, and are reportedly boycotting the season in protest to the Board

More to follow once updated have been provided.

First Press Conference

Scott: Ladies and gentlemen. I'd like to thank you all for coming here today. If you have any questions I'll take them one at a time.

Question 1

The Paisley Prophet: How does it feel to be the new St Mirren manager? Being a fan of the club, it must be a special experience.

Scott: I'm very happy to be the clubs new manager. As you have stated, I'm a big fan of the club, it's a team that i've supported my entire life. I share the same views as the majority of the fans that support the club. But, I'm not here as a fan, and I'm certainly not here to sit in the stands with a half time pie and Bovril. I'm here as the club's manager, and I have a job to do. I have the targets of the board to meet and the expectations of the fans to realise.

Question 2

The Sun: Yes, you mention the expectations of the board. Many fans of the club feel that the board of directors are no longer interested in the aspirations of the club, and that their only interests are selling up and leaving. What do you make of that?

Scott: Well, while the board of directors are looking to sell the club on, they know they still have a job to do. In order to sell the club at the best possible price, the club has to be successful and attractive. If the club are playing terrible football, and perform terribly, no one will be interested in buying the club. So the board will have act accordingly in order to sell the club for a health profit.

Question 3

The Times: You speak in defense of the board, but they don't seem to have much confidence in you as a manager. They hired you, but on the basis that a new owner will come in and hire a more experienced manager.

Scott: It's true that the board may have hired me to prove a point. I have no managerial experience, and I have very little experience of playing the game myself. In fact the only experience I can call upon is under 19's football coaching for the past 2 and a half years. However, I intend to prove the board wrong, and I firmly believe that I am the right man for the job. Yes there were a load of other candidates for the vacant position, but I have one thing going for me that none of those other candidates have - I'm a fan of the club, and I will do what I believe is best for the club.

Question 4

The Mirror: One last question. How do you think the club will fare without striker Steven Thompson, and midfielder Paul McGowan.

Scott: Well Stevie is out for 7 months, he is a big loss to the club. He's a fan favourite and a top professional. However, we have two new strikers in the form of Ross Caldwell and Callum Ball, both have a good track record, and are looking sharp in training. Callum has a little extra weight about him, but its early doors in training and we will have that sorted before the opening fixture at Motherwell. As for McGowan, it's not my place to say, and its an issue that I would personally like to stay out of. We have a young midfielder in John McGinn who can fill in the gap left by McGowan, and there is also young McLean who has a number of similar attributes to Paul.

I thank you all for your questions, but I have to get go and set up today's training programme. I'm sure you all understand.

First Scout Reports

Previous St Mirren managers have often scoured the lower divisions in search of hidden gems at reduced prices. Mark Yardley - clubs top goalscorer, and Darren McGregor - Signed by Rangers at beginning of 2014-15 season, were both signed from Cowdenbeath and proved to be a great hit in the SPL. I currently have team scout Jim Morgan out on a 1 month scouting trip around the lower division clubs of Scotland while I work through my friendlies and alter my formations and team lines.

Goalkeepers

Currently, the club have 2 goalkeepers listed in the first team. Marian Kello is 31 and is in his prime years as a goalkeeper. Although he is a quality SPL goalkeeper, he is rather injury prone. Mark Ridgers is the clubs number 2, and has just recently signed from relegated Hearts. Mark is not yet ready for first team action and lacks experience to command the number 1 spot. In order for him to gain the necessary experience I will play him in the Scottish Cup this season. However, I will be looking to sign a much younger goalkeeper to play in the League Cup.
Craig Burns is a 16 year old goalkeeper who is currently a free agent. Early indications show he has the potential to be a star Premier League goalkeeper, and his wages aren't too high either. Further scouting reports are needed, but for the moment I have taken him on a 3 week trial.

Josh Lumsden is a player who I have previously signed for St Mirren, using the same methods I am adopting this year - playing him in the League Cup - I am hoping to replicate his success in past games. However, his transfer price is a little off putting this year with Dumbarton wanting nearly 3/4 of my transfer budget to sign him.

Defenders
St Mirren's back 4 has been a disgrace, and has never looked the same since the 2010 League Cup final defence where Scott Cuthbert and Will Haining provided a strong central pairing, while Franco Miranda and Jack Ross terrorised down the flanks. Marc McAusland has always been error prone and it has caused be to develop a strong disliking towards the 26 year old. His stats in the game aren't particularly impressive either. However potential replacement Danny Wilson looks a decent candidate to take charge at centre back. Hearts are asking for a high transfer sum, however with their financial crisis, the intended price may decrease.

Midfielders

St Mirren currently posses one of the strongest midfield lines I have ever seen in the Scottish Top flight with the exception of Rangers and Celtic in days past. However, with an aging Gary Teale taking up a coaching position and no longer having the legs to go the distance a replacement may be needed on the wings.

Billy King is one winger than I have looked at to replace the aging Gary Teale. While the club currently has Adam Drury on loan from Manchester City, I have not been impressed with him in the opening 2 friendlies and will be looking to replace him the first moment I can. Early scouting reports indicate the King is a fast player who will fit in well with the team, the issue is that he would command a higher wage than I can possibly afford at this time, and Hearts are looking for 4 times the transfer sum I currently have.
Another player I am looking at for the wings is Inverness midfielder James Vincent. Vincent is a versatile midfielder who can play in the central attacking role should need be as well. Inverness have also transfer listed him for just 28k and early scouting reports show good stats. Perhaps a definite transfer target here!

Lewis MacLeod is a central midfielder I have always admired, and a player I have personally played football against. His performances for Rangers have set him apart from another other player in a Gers top and have earned him a transfer to Brentford for £1million. His stats also show that he would immediately fit into the squad should I decide to play a central 3. His price tag isnt too high either should I be able to get him closer to the 200k mark. Further scouting needed here.

Forwards

In the absence of Steven Thompson, the club lack a clinical striker. Ball and Caldwell look good, but should I suffer an injury, there is not enough depth in the squad to keep the goals going. Greig Spence is another player I have previously signed and possessed pace, strength and a clinical goal-scoring ability. With a price tag of 100k it will use up my entire transfer budget, but should I be able to sell deadwood players, I may be able to sign him and a few other players.

Transfer Business

St Mirren Football club have taken ex Celtic and Wolves player Steven Mouyokolo on a 3 week trial. Steven was released by Celtic at the end of the 2013/14 season after failing to impress then manager Neil Lennon. Buddies gaffer - Dickson - had opted to hand the 27 year old Congolese centre back a trial as Saints look to bolster their back line. Following the departure of Darren McGregor to Rangers, the Buddies have been actively searching for a replacement centre back.

Saints boss, Dickson, has also publicly expressed his desire to sign Rangers midfielder Lewis Macleod with the youngster reportedly delighted with the news.

Burns Signs for Buddies

16 year old stopper Craig Burns today signs a youth contract with Paisley outfit St Mirren. The young goalkeeper has been without a club for a while now and is relishing getting back to playing.

Saints Victorious in Vincent Deal

St Mirren Football Club have signed their second player of the day after securing the signature of James Vincent from Inverness Caledonian Thistle. The 24 year old attacking midfielder - who cost the Buddies £28,000 - is looking forward to linking up with his team-mates who are currently training in Holland.

Thistle Seal McAusland Deal

Partick Thistle have paid £39,000 to St Mirren for centre back Marc McAusland. The Saints defender was recently transferred by manager Dickson who is thought to have been unimpressed with his recent performances during the close season.

St Mirren Snap up Spence

Greig Spence of Alloa has shocked the Scottish Football world by signing for SPL side St Mirren. The 22 year old striker has only recently joined Alloa on a free transfer from Raith Rovers. The transfer free is rumoured to be £140,000.

Gregg Sends Paisley Wylde

St Mirren recorded a 1-0 win over Newcastle United in the final friendly before the beginning of the new SPL season. New signing James Vincent set up winger Wylde in the 68th minute to seal a home victory for the Saints

Clubs Battle for McGinn

Reports from St Mirren Park indicate that a number of clubs are interested in young midfielder John McGinn. Sunderland and Southampton have already had bids of £900,000 rejected. St Mirren boss Dickson has told the media that McGinn will not leave St Mirren unless the price they value the player at is realised.

Buddies Reduce Steelmen to Rubble

Sportscene Interviewer: A good win for your side today Scott. 4-1 victory over last years runner's up. You must be happy with your sides performance?

Scott: Delighted. The boys played well, played some good football, and scored some terrific team goals. We started off sloppy, nearly gifted Motherwell an early goal through a defensive mistake, but we calmed down and found our shape and came away with the 3 points today.

Sportscene Interviewer: Just how vital were the performances of Gregg Wylde and Grieg Spence today?

Scott: Well all 4 goals came from them today. I know Kenny scored the penalty, but the foul was on Wylde. Spence had a great debut and has shown the qualities in which we signed him for. I'm pretty pleased he was able to display those so very early in the season. If you look at Wylde's first goal, it comes from the Motherwell corner. Spencey managed to intercept it before it gets to McManus, and makes a long pass to Teale who sets up the goal. Again Grieg in the second half, set up Wylde for his second.

Sportscene Interviewer: You left out young John McGinn today. Would that be as a result of the transfer speculation surrounding him?

Scott: No, no. We chose to put John on the bench this week due to some niggles in training. John is a professional player and despite the transfer interest in him, he would have been able to keep his focus for the game.

Sportscene Interviewer: One final question for you Scott. Will McGinn be a St Mirren player at the end of the transfer window?

Scott: Well that all comes down to the money involved in the transfer at the end of the day. I would love to keep John here, he's a cracking player with a bright future ahead of him. However, it will be very hard to keep a hold of him if the right money comes along, so far none of the clubs involved had reached that figure - no where near it, but who knows.

Sportscene Interviewer: Well that's all we have to ask you Scott, thanks very much for your time.

View attachment 313455View attachment 313454View attachment 313453View attachment 313452View attachment 313448View attachment 313442View attachment 313438View attachment 313437View attachment 313436

St Mirren Put 4 past League Newboys

Second game of the season ended in a 4-1 home victory against newly promoted Hamilton Academical. Spence once again proved to be an effective player, getting himself 2 goals.

Hamilton scored the first goal, through player/manager Alex Neil, but Spence equalised almost immediately. Kenny McLean then put the Saints ahead with a penalty shortly before half time.

Adam Drury increased the lead with a headed goal from a McGinn cross in the 89th Minute, before Spence added a 4th less than a minute later.

Month of August

League Fixtures

Motherwell (Away) - 1-4 (Win)
  • Goals from Spence (2), McLean, and Wylde for St Mirren
  • Ainsworth scores for Motherwell
Hamilton (Home) - 4-1 (Win)
  • Goals for Spence (2), McLean, and Drury for St Mirren
  • Neil scores for Hamilton
Aberdeen (Away) - 0-3 (Loss)
  • Rooney (2) and Goodwillie for Aberdeen
Dundee (Home) - 1-2 (Loss)
  • Clarkson and McGowan score for Dundee
  • Vincent scores for St Mirren
Dundee United (Home) - 2-2 (Draw)
  • Reilly and Wylde score for St Mirren
  • Mackay-Stevens and Ciftci score for Dundee United
League Cup Fixtures

Forfar (Away) 3-5 (Win)
  • Dunlop, Husband, and Hilson score for Forfar
  • Reilly (3), Naismith, and Goodwin score for St Mirren
Goalscorers (All Competitions)

Spence (4)
Reilly (4)
McLean (2)
Wylde (2)
Drury (1)
Vincent (1)
Naismith (1)
Goodwin (1)

Player of the Month - Greig Spence

Was a tough choice between McLean, Spence, and Reilly. Reilly and Spence contributed a lot of goals this month, with 4 a piece. Reilly saved the club from an early, embarrassing defeat in the cup against Forfar, while Spence - who is still trying to find his feet with the club - has hit the mark well in his opening few games. Spence also provided assists in the 2 opening games he played in the season, being involved in all 4 in the Hamilton game.

McLean not only scored and assisted with goals, but assisted in the defense in the opening 2 fixtures. However based on their goal-scoring performance, and assisting ability - so very early on into his Saints career - Spence has to take my Player of the Month award for August.

Transfer Business

Players In

• Craig Burns (GK), Free Transfer
  • James Vincent (AMC), £28k, Inverness CT
  • Greig Spence (ST), £140k, Alloa
  • Gael Bigirimana (MC), Loan, Newcastle
  • Danny Wilson (DC, £750k, Hearts
  • Eiour Guojohnsen (ST), Free Transfer
Players Out
  • Marc McAusland (DC), £31.5k, Partick Thistle
  • John McGinn (MC), £2.9 Million, Southampton
  • Adam Brown (MR), Loan, Airdrie
  • Mark Barrowman (DC), Loan, Albion Rovers
  • Jordan Stewart (MR), Loan, Annan

Month of September

League Fixtures

Kilmarnock (Away) - 1-3 (Win)
  • Marwood, Drury, and Reilly score for Saints
  • Muirhead scores for Kilmarnock
Partick Thistle (Away) - 0-2 (Loss)
  • Craigan and Elliot of target for Jags
Celtic (Home) - 1-1 (Draw)
  • Vincent put St Mirren ahead
  • Wakaso equalises late for Celtic
League Cup Third Round

Kilmarnock (Away) - 1-3 (Loss)
  • Muirhead, Hamill and Magennis score for Kilmarnock
  • St Mirren coach Teale scores early for St Mirren
  • St Mirren youth/reserve players out of cup

Marwood (1)
Drury (1)
Reilly (1)
Vincent (1)
Teale (1)

Player of the Month - James Marwood

There weren't many performers this month and with limited league fixtures it was difficult to decide who was top performer for the Paisley outfit. Spence failed to score the full month and McLean spent 2 weeks out with an injury. However, Marwood put in a few good performances and the Ex Gateshead player wins this months Player of the Month award.

Please feel free to leave any comments with advice on how to improve either my team, or this story. Tactics and other monthly reports will also follow.

Thanks

Month of October

League Fixtures

St Johnstone (Away) - 0-1 (Win)
  • Spence scores for St Mirren to end goal drought
Inverness CT (Home) - 2-4 (Loss)
  • Caldwell and Spence score for St Mirren
  • Sanogo (2) and Christie (2) win game for ICT
Ross County (Home) - 1-1 (Draw)
  • Guojohnsen scores on St Mirren debut after returning from injury
  • Ross scores for County

Spence (2)
Caldwell (1)
Guojohnsen (1)

After a month of no goals and poor performances, words were issued to the young striker. Spence responded with an assist for Caldwell in the loss at Inverness, as well as 2 goals of his own.

Month of November

League Fixtures

Dundee United (Away) - 1-1 (Draw)
  • Spittal scores for United
  • Marwood equalises for St Mirren
Partick Thistle (Home) - 1-0 (Win)
  • Guojohnsen wins 3 points for St Mirren
Hamilton (Away) - 1-5 (Loss)
  • Spence scores late consolation for St Mirren
  • Imrie, Tena, and Antoine-Curier (3) all on target for Hamilton

Scottish Cup Fourth Round

Dundee United (Away) - 0-3 (Loss)
  • Mackay-Stevens, Mason, and Shepherd score for Dundee United

Spence (1)
Marwood (1)
Guojohnsen (1)

Despite some poor performances by the entire squad, Spence put in a shift in the games he played and scored 1 this month. Proving to be worth the money paid for him so far.