Iran agents 'planned US terror attacks'

Joel`

Reaction score
The US says it has broken up a major terror plot in which agents linked to Iran sought to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to Washington.
Two men originally from Iran - one a naturalised US citizen - have been charged with counts of conspiracy, Attorney General Eric Holder said.
The plot was "conceived" in Iran by the Quds force, part of Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps, he added.
The state department has listed Iran as a "state sponsor" of terror since 1984.
Mr Holder described the $1.5m (£960,000) assassination plot as being "conceived, sponsored and directed by Iran", and said Tehran would be held accountable for its alleged involvement.
'Drug cartel informant'Top Iranian officials were responsible for the plans, Mr Holder said.

Iran has denied involvement with the plot, and the official Islamic Republic News Agency (Irna) called the plot a "propaganda campaign" by the US government against Tehran.
The two men linked to the alleged plot were named as Manssor Arbabsiar, a 56-year-old naturalised US citizen with dual Iranian and US passports, and Gholam Shakuri, based in Iran and said to be a member of Iran's Quds Force.
Mr Arbabsiar, who was arrested in John F Kennedy airport in New York on 29 September, has confessed to his involvement in the alleged plot, Mr Holder said. Mr Shakuri was said to be in Iran.
On 24 May 2011 Mr Arbabsiar made contact with an informant for the US Drug Enforcement Agency, under the impression that he was an operative of a Mexican drugs cartel.
Over a series of meetings, details emerged of a conspiracy that involved members of the Iranian government to pay $1.5m for the assassination of Saudi Ambassador Adel al-Jubeir on US soil.
The plot would have been carried out with the use of explosives, Mr Holder said. But he added that no explosives were ever put in place and the public was not in danger.
Mr Holder said the plans led Mr Arbabsiar, with approval from Mr Shakuri, to wire $100,000 to a US bank account as a downpayment for the assassination.
They have been charged with conspiracy to murder a foreign official, weapons conspiracy, and conspiracy to commit international terrorism charges over alleged plans to kill the Saudi ambassador.
President Barack Obama was informed of the alleged plot in June 2011 and has since been kept up to date with developments.

White House spokesman Tommy Vietor said the president had "directed his administration to provide all necessary support to this investigation".
"The disruption of this plot is a significant achievement by our intelligence and law enforcement agencies, and the President is enormously grateful for their exceptional work," Mr Vietor added.
Mr Holder said the alleged conspiracy amounted to a "flagrant violation of US and international law" and breaches international conventions that protect diplomats from harm.
FBI Director Robert Mueller told reporters: "Though it reads like the pages of a Hollywood script, the impact would have been very real and many lives would have been lost."
The treasury department later announced sanctions against five people - including Mr Arbabsiar and Mr Shakuri - whom it linked to the alleged plot.
Treasury Undersecretary David Cohen said the financial transactions involved "lay bare the risk that banks and other institutions face in doing business with Iran".
Mr Arbabsiar, who is due to appear in court in New York on Tuesday, faces a potential life prison sentence if convicted on all charges, the Department of Justice said.
Criminal charges will be brought in the southern district of New York because the alleged $100,000 downpayment was wired through a bank in the area, officials said.

--

BBC News - Iran agents 'planned US terror attacks'

Well, this should end well.

Oop. Hold on, everybody, it's another Joelthread.​

To paraphrase my thoughts, oh noes, 5/1 on the US attacking Iran soon.

Been talking to Rooneys dad? :O

This isnt good, moreso because its in the courts, which means there is some actual substance (any of this can be fairly easily seen by people, so any holes/ fabrications would be obvious)

I would facepalm if they occupied Iran. Luckily it seems they are starting to wake up to the damage it does to their own country let alone the damage to the countries they occupy.

This isnt good, moreso because its in the courts, which means there is some actual substance (any of this can be fairly easily seen by people, so any holes/ fabrications would be obvious)

And the Saudis would want rock solid evidence for it as well. If they fabricated it, they'd soon realise, and the US reputation would tank.

I would facepalm if they occupied Iran. Luckily it seems they are starting to wake up to the damage it does to their own country let alone the damage to the countries they occupy.

why facepalm? how about looking at the story first before talking about any invasion?

Yeah, and this is what i find most disconcerting. There are too many ways for any bluster to come out. More interested in the Saudi reaction on this myself

why facepalm? how about looking at the story first before talking about any invasion?

Why facepalm? Why do you think?
If you think I was saying I think they are going to actually occupy them you are mistaken. For future reference note the word if, and the fact that I'm not always dead cereal.

Why facepalm? Why do you think?
If you think I was saying I think they are going to actually occupy them you are mistaken. For future reference note the word if.

last time i checked they hadnt even thought about confirming military action, getting way ahead of anything

Hmmm, Iran who boast the 3rd highest oil reserves in the world? Who'd have thought that they would find a way to **** off the US?

Hmmm, Iran who boast the 3rd highest oil reserves in the world? Who'd have thought that they would find a way to **** off the US?

They've been finding ways to **** the US off for years, oil or not. Not everything is about oil. And let's not forget they were going to bomb the Saudi embassy

They've been finding ways to **** the US off for years, oil or not. Not everything is about oil. And let's not forget they were going to bomb the Saudi embassy

I meant that as tongue in cheek, but it's surely no coincidence that oil reserves are dwindling and the US has been at loggerheads with Iraq, Libya & Iran in recent years? They should have done something about their own oil consumption rates decades ago

I meant that as tongue in cheek, but it's surely no coincidence that oil reserves are dwindling and the US has been at loggerheads with Iraq, Libya & Iran in recent years? They should have done something about their own oil consumption rates decades ago

They had access to the oil in Lybia anyway. They may actually end up having less access now. US concerns in Iran are less to with oil and much more to do with their Nuclear Program and Israel. Iran has vowed to wipe Israel off the map, and if Isreal think they are even remotely close to a nuclear weapon, they will strike first, and very hard. Full on Middle Eastern war

I'm more concerned with the fact the Saudi's were targeted. One thing going after the US, but it will be viewed very differently in the Arab world going after another Arab country

Keep it to yourself fatty. Just checking if there are innocent people here.

So not only are you paranoid, but you apparently have something against fat people...

and I have no idea what you are trying to say with your last sentence.