Raikan007's Tactical discussion & help thread

Hello guys, sorry for the newbie question I'm about to ask: What "CCC" stands for?

Hi Raikan i was wondering if you could help me with the only formation i have been unable to get decent/good results with.

I am trying to add a 4-2-3-1 as another formation option yet i cannot get both the AMC and ST to play well in the same game, it is normally one or the others that has a decent performance and sometimes both flop.

Currently testing with my Man Utd save after one year in, Ganso is the AMC and Rooney/Hernandez as the ST.
Ganso is set to Advanced Playmaker support and Rooney as Complete Forward attack with run with ball set to middle or Hernandez as poacher. Center mids are Ball Winning CM Defend as fletcher and Anderson is set up similar to your Carrick CM role. Wide Players are AML Young as Advanced Playmaker Attack and Nani as Inside Forward attack and set to move into channels.

If there any advice you can give me on how to settup my AMC and ST to get them working together or do i need different types of players for it to work?

Thanks in advanced and keep up the good work

Fairly quick one and no doubt a simple answer...

I'm playing 4-2-3-1 (as newcastle) and none of my central 3 are getting anywhere near as much of the ball as I'd like. My full backs are making more passes than anyone else in the team.

The three central players are set up as BWM-d, DLP-s and AP-a/s(dependent on opposition). The BWM I have set at shortest possible passing setting with the intent of him winning the ball and giving it to the DLP.

But as I mentioned for some reason my full backs are making more passes than anyone else. How can I get my central midfielders, in particular my DLP who is one of my best players, on the ball more?

Thanks!!

hey mate :)

you have the right players just not the right instructions for them!

set Ganso to run from deep - never, through balls - sometimes, runs with ball - sometimes, move into channels and roam from position while playing direct passess.. this will allow him to drop deeper into the Cm to pick the ball up from your ball winners and look to play out from there...

Rooney is similar to Ganso and could be used to rotate with Hernandez & Welbeck up front as Poachers set to run from deep always no long shots or through balls crossing sometimes from the byline and move into channels :)

feel free to look at the settings I have used for the Might and Magic tactic for the Poacher (Str) that is what you need to use for players like Hernandez etc :) and the Dlf (Stl) role for Rooney as well as the Amc position (Ganso of course will have a little more creative freedom though)

good luck mate :)

Fairly quick one and no doubt a simple answer...

I'm playing 4-2-3-1 (as newcastle) and none of my central 3 are getting anywhere near as much of the ball as I'd like. My full backs are making more passes than anyone else in the team.

The three central players are set up as BWM-d, DLP-s and AP-a/s(dependent on opposition). The BWM I have set at shortest possible passing setting with the intent of him winning the ball and giving it to the DLP.

But as I mentioned for some reason my full backs are making more passes than anyone else. How can I get my central midfielders, in particular my DLP who is one of my best players, on the ball more?

Thanks!!

that is what happens mate :) your fb's make quite a bit of the passes! make him playmaker.. it goes down to many more factors than this though, your players movements, your team instructions etc :)

it is very easy getting players to make over like 80-100 passes in a game but most of the time they either just win by 1 goal as Barca or draw which is pointless!

if you are winning then thats great :) make him move into channels as well which helps him free up space to receive the pass!

Thanks for the reply!

My full backs aren't brilliant, that's why i don't want too much play going through them!

My DLP is averaging around 30-35 passes per game, seems really low to me? Will try your suggestions though, thanks :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply, early signs are looking good so far, just need to wait now until Nani trains to stop shooting from distance everytime he gets the ball with his PPMs and high flair.
Going to try and adapt those AMC settings to a 4-3-2-1 with 3 cms, a poacher up front, attack mid - attack and those settings for the other AMC with Southampton.

Another question to bug you with if you dont mind is do you know any up and coming youngsters that would fit the carrick role you use? That would be good enough for maybe mid tableish prem once developed?

Thanks again! :)

Hi I have a few questions. First I'll give you some background information. Basically I've got a career save on the go at the moment with Rochdale, I'm consistently scoring 3 or 4 goals a game, the formation I use is a 4-1-1-2-2 which is normal defensive set up, 1 defensive midfielder, 1 central midfielder, 2 attacking wingers and 2 strikers. I was 1-0 up in a game against Wycombe when after 20 minutes I got Pablo Counago sent off, leaving me with 1 striker for the rest of the game yet I still won 6-1. Counago plays as a Target Man and my other striker Stefano Bensi plays as a poacher. I was wondering if it was possible the 2 strikers were getting in the way of each other? And if I may score more goals with just 1 striker being used as a poacher? As well as scoring quite a lot of goals, I concede at least 1 if not 2 goals a game, so I was wondering would I be better getting rid of one of the strikers and playing with a third centre back? The roles I currently use for my centre backs are stoppers and as central defenders, would my defense work better if I had the centre backs set to different role, I.e one as a cover defender?

Thanks for the quick reply, early signs are looking good so far, just need to wait now until Nani trains to stop shooting from distance everytime he gets the ball with his PPMs and high flair.
Going to try and adapt those AMC settings to a 4-3-2-1 with 3 cms, a poacher up front, attack mid - attack and those settings for the other AMC with Southampton.

Another question to bug you with if you dont mind is do you know any up and coming youngsters that would fit the carrick role you use? That would be good enough for maybe mid tableish prem once developed?

Thanks again! :)
hey bud, I would look at Andre Ayew, Vincent Pajot, Yann M'Vila, Casemiro etc :)

Hi I have a few questions. First I'll give you some background information. Basically I've got a career save on the go at the moment with Rochdale, I'm consistently scoring 3 or 4 goals a game, the formation I use is a 4-1-1-2-2 which is normal defensive set up, 1 defensive midfielder, 1 central midfielder, 2 attacking wingers and 2 strikers. I was 1-0 up in a game against Wycombe when after 20 minutes I got Pablo Counago sent off, leaving me with 1 striker for the rest of the game yet I still won 6-1. Counago plays as a Target Man and my other striker Stefano Bensi plays as a poacher. I was wondering if it was possible the 2 strikers were getting in the way of each other? And if I may score more goals with just 1 striker being used as a poacher? As well as scoring quite a lot of goals, I concede at least 1 if not 2 goals a game, so I was wondering would I be better getting rid of one of the strikers and playing with a third centre back? The roles I currently use for my centre backs are stoppers and as central defenders, would my defense work better if I had the centre backs set to different role, I.e one as a cover defender?

I would leave it as is mate and work on your defence and team instructions affecting your defence! try and either drop the one cm to the dm position and have your wingers drop deep to get the ball :) sounds like you are scoring goals which is good so I would not change anything upfront ;)

The main problems I have are deciding the mentality for each player - Whether it should be 1 click between each of the players - but this means that my poacher isent as far forward as I would like and is quite ineffective. However when I play a rule of two mentality - I find that the defence conceedes more.

The other problem I have is deciding which players to give run from deep, run with ball and through ball options too. I tend to give my forward players run from deep - rarely so they dont get caught offside too many times.

And the final problem is working out what closing down should be given to the individual players. Following lots of advice on here from various posters I have set the closing down for the centre backs and goalkeeper to 4 and the poacher and playmaker to 0. The other players I'm not sure whether to increment in 2's or whether to have them closing down higher up the pitch - Would this then affect the shape of the defensive line as my defensive line is quite low - one click off deep.

Hello Raikan. Im currently in the works of creating my first own tactic. Im trying a sort of 3-5-2 with defensive wingers. This because 1. I've never used a 3-man defensive line before and 2. I've never used defensive wingers either. :p

Now I'm wondering how i should use my defensive players. Should I have my backline high up the field or low? Im using them as:

C-X-C as I figure this would work well and my defensive wingers are on support mentality, to make sure that the flanks will be well defended.

Essentially what Im asking is how do I make sure that my backline is close enough to the midfield to avoid to much space but also how I make sure that the oppositions cant just run past them?

The main problems I have are deciding the mentality for each player - Whether it should be 1 click between each of the players - but this means that my poacher isent as far forward as I would like and is quite ineffective. However when I play a rule of two mentality - I find that the defence conceedes more.

The other problem I have is deciding which players to give run from deep, run with ball and through ball options too. I tend to give my forward players run from deep - rarely so they dont get caught offside too many times.

And the final problem is working out what closing down should be given to the individual players. Following lots of advice on here from various posters I have set the closing down for the centre backs and goalkeeper to 4 and the poacher and playmaker to 0. The other players I'm not sure whether to increment in 2's or whether to have them closing down higher up the pitch - Would this then affect the shape of the defensive line as my defensive line is quite low - one click off deep.
run from deep should be used the most from your strikers, this encourages them (with move into channels) to find gaps and play on the shoulder of the defenders... only if you have a striker that drops deep like Rooney, Tevez, Rossi, Berbatov etc you must set it to never!

as I said in the PM I have players that are on 20 clicks (I call it full) closing down! it all just depends :)

rule of thumb, keep your cb's to the same closing down

I use my Cm's, wingers, fullbacks to close down the entire pitch!

Hello Raikan. Im currently in the works of creating my first own tactic. Im trying a sort of 3-5-2 with defensive wingers. This because 1. I've never used a 3-man defensive line before and 2. I've never used defensive wingers either. :p

Now I'm wondering how i should use my defensive players. Should I have my backline high up the field or low? Im using them as:

C-X-C as I figure this would work well and my defensive wingers are on support mentality, to make sure that the flanks will be well defended.

Essentially what Im asking is how do I make sure that my backline is close enough to the midfield to avoid to much space but also how I make sure that the oppositions cant just run past them?
hey mate, good to hear :)

play narrow, play direct and quick and set your defensive wingers to man mark and tight marking! is this how you want to set up?

-----------------Gk-----------------
--------Cb-----Cb------Cb-------
-------Cm------Cm-----Cm----
-------Dw--------------Dw----
-------------St----St------------

Actually I am trying out some different formations and haven't settled for one just yet. However im thinking something like:

------------GK-----------
-------C-----X----C-----
DW---BWM--DLP--AP---DW
------------T-------------
------------AF------------

Thoughts?

Thanks for your input. Will try manmarking with DW and playing narrow and direct!

Edit. Also considering if the BWM will be necessary of if I should use an attacking player instead, seeing as im using 3 man central defense.

Last edited:
Wonder if i could get away with

RWB - DMC - DMC -LWB

as a high back four instead of the normal defence.. lol...

Wonder if i could get away with

RWB - DMC - DMC -LWB

as a high back four instead of the normal defence.. lol...
hahaha, try it, see if it works :)

Actually I am trying out some different formations and haven't settled for one just yet. However im thinking something like:

------------GK-----------
-------C-----X----C-----
DW---BWM--DLP--AP---DW
------------T-------------
------------AF------------

Thoughts?

Thanks for your input. Will try manmarking with DW and playing narrow and direct!

Edit. Also considering if the BWM will be necessary of if I should use an attacking player instead, seeing as im using 3 man central defense.
it is quite defensive, how attacking are you going to individually set your DW? what shouts are you planning on using?

Thanks for the reply. What did you mean by keep cb's to the same closing down? It might be me not reading/understanding it properly.

Ive been trying some different mentalities for the DWs.. Im want them to be quite offensive, but not to far up so they leave their area of defense too unguarded. Do you think I could get away with changing the BWM to something more offensive then?