kandersson's 4-2-3-1 Lefty - won in style Italian serie C2

kandersson

Reaction score
My first time uploading a tactic, trying to give something back to the community I guess hahaha...

download link: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=3910

So with my very own 4-2-3-1 I managed to win in style the non-stylish Italian Serie C2 with Pro Patria, and I was particularly satisfied because probably for the first time since 2004 I've been able to dominate a league while displaying EXACTLY the kind of football I had in my mind.

An average 4-2-3-1 at first glance, this tactic aims to keep the ball in the offensive half, mainly using the technical skills and movement of the 4 attackers to dominate ball possession and create scoring chances.

Fullbacks and CMs will work hard to keep balance in defence but will support attackers as well, mainly to give an extra option, keep possession and restart the offence.

The tactic itself:

View attachment 116457

The final table (if you're wondering, other highlighted teams are my feeder clubs, yep they're in my own league!):

View attachment 116458

An impressive result in the Serie C Cup final against a strong Salernitana side from Serie C1:

View attachment 116459

Now, I have to say that thanks to a nice budget (about 800K euros) I was able to put together an extremely good squad for the Serie C2 standards, signing minor south american internationals/old glories (EU passport required!) as well as good italian players from lower leagues.

Now the players within the tactic: it's a Lefty (aka sx) 4-2-3-1 because all the 3 men behind the striker happen to be left-footed, and actually both wingers need to be lefties for this tactic to work. Of course they could be both right-footed (you'd need to adjust the various roles like watching a mirror in that case), the key is: same foot!

GK: just a good one. Rushing out is a plus.

DR/L: they're mainly defensive so tackling and marking are a must, but they will support offence too so first touch and crossing are huge bonus.

DCs: heading, marking and concentration are strongly recommended here. For the one set on "cover", some decent quickness would help.

CMs: hardworking midfielders. Tackling and marking are key attributes, but passing is also a must. For the deep-playmaker creativity is also recommended. Long shots a big bonus for both.

AML: classic winger. Will carry the ball down the flank and start many of the attacks. Often seen as the main assist man of the team. Pace, dribble, cross, pass, technique, flair all required.

AMC: your number 10 will rip the defence with through balls and score some goals too, dribbling all the way past defenders or finishing as an extra striker. Look for dribble, pass, technique, flair, creativity. Long shots would be nice too.

AMR: the second scoring threat behind the striker, cutting inside to unleash his left strike, starting one-twos, setting up forwards with the killer pass. Attributes: same as AMC, plus off the ball.

ST: the goal hunter of course, but should be as skillful as the other attackers to fit well in the offensive flow. Often found 1-on-1 with the GK, look for composure rather than finishing. Pace, agility, off the ball, dribble, technique are all vital for your striker to be lethal on the counter as well. Preferred moves: places shots or goes round keeper.

More screens
View attachment 116460 View attachment 116461 View attachment 116462

View attachment 116463 View attachment 116464 View attachment 116465

View attachment 116466 View attachment 116467 View attachment 116468

Now you may have noticed the ridiculous 20+ goals scored by my DC Curbelo, well I have to say they were ALL headers from corners, with him standing on far post... is that a cheat? no I wouldn't say so. Curbelo is a very good header for C2 low standards, and most of all due to my team spending a lot of time in the opponents'area, I regularly won LOTS of corners.

But is that something uhm "strange"? Yes indeed, but I kept taking advantage of that beacuse too many times in the past the AI has done much worse against me hahaha!

A couple of considerations:

You should be able to use this tactic in any league as long as your team has the right players and good overall technique. Remember this FM puts huge emphasis on players gelling and learning a new tactic, so try to be patient! And also keep in mind that good players are more important than great tactics (which is so true IRL as well).

There's no winning tactic in this game, but you can win with virtually any tactic if it has some logic (and good players of course). So my suggestion is don't look for plug and play tactics just to "win", but use other people's ideas to make your own tactics and ideas work.

I'd like to thank people like Koflok, Jp Woody, The better half, Stann, Mr Hough & others, whose ideas and theories have helped me developping my own tactic, it's really rewarding when your team plays exactly the way you planned from the start!

Last edited:
i m waiting for your tactic pls upload it asap :D

Seems very nice actually, I may download this.

And to answer mrjack41's question - It may be because the left winger is the main player. :)

Usually takes a couple of days for a tactic to be approved so hold on :)

It's 4-2-3-1 lefty because both wingers need to be left-footed - AML classic winger, AMR inside forward. I like the balance they give to offence this way and yes, AML is really a key player! My AMC also happened to be left-footed (just a coincidence) so it's def a "lefty" formation.

And to tell the truth, I'm totally left-footed myself so I may unconsciously lean towards lefty attackers, you know some of them aren't that bad...

please upload tactic today:)i want this tactic for my chelsea

should be up soon but if you feel you can't wait I can PM you a première :)

be careful though, using my tactic after Koflok's goals galore could be a major let down, really...

I'd appreciate your feedback, I'm curious how this would work with top teams in top leagues as i usually don't use those. I did some testing with Malaga and Porto and looked good (4th in la Liga at december, while Porto is just too strong not to dominate portugal) but Chelsea who knows, they def have good players, some of them should be not so good fits though...

should be up soon but if you feel you can't wait I can PM you a première :)

be careful though, using my tactic after Koflok's goals galore could be a major let down, really...

I'd appreciate your feedback, I'm curious how this would work with top teams in top leagues as i usually don't use those. I did some testing with Malaga and Porto and looked good (4th in la Liga at december, while Porto is just too strong not to dominate portugal) but Chelsea who knows, they def have good players, some of them should be not so good fits though...
ok thank you

are you using fm2011 as it looks like your using fm2010 as your def score nearly 20 goals?????

are you using fm2011 as it looks like your using fm2010 as your def score nearly 20 goals?????

as Jimmy said, and as shown in the screen, 11.1.1

In this serie C2 save Curbelo was just insane, during my Malaga testing my centre back Juanito hasn't been that shocking, still good though - if my memory serves about 5 goals in 15 games

btw download link is now in OP, obviously messed a bit with typing and screens, but there it is...

Last edited:
hello!!i use your tactic..and i like very much..i try creat my 4-2-3-1 but i failed xD...so i use yours and your tactic is amazing i will post my results!!my team is man city:

Premiere league

<script src='http://img406.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=primeiraligainglesainfo.png&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Champions league:

<script src='http://img340.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=taadoscampeeseuropeusin.png&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

cup:

<script src='http://img26.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=evertonvmancityestatsti.png&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

and my team without cristiano ronaldo(i buy ronaldo for this season) i had dzeko in my team but i sold because he didnt score in season....classification 6.24 lol

<script src='http://img137.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=manchestercitymancitytc.png&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

i not win against barcelona and everton because my strikers fails so many shots i dont know why..i think this game sucks at this point..the goalkeepers are god at this fm 2011...

your tactic is really good congratulations keep doing your job well!!!

sorry for my bad english!!

Last edited:
hello!!i use your tactic..and i like very much..i try creat my 4-2-3-1 but i failed xD...so i use yours and your tactic is amazing i will post my results!!my team is man city:

i not win against barcelona and everton because my strikers fails so many shots i dont know why..i think this game sucks at this point..the goalkeepers are god at this fm 2011...

your tactic is really good congratulations keep doing your job well!!!

sorry for my bad english!!

Obrigado Joao, glad my tactic helped you having some success. Your team did a great job in defence considering how offensive your midfield is, Ganso and Rakitic are the most "defensive" midfielders wow!

You will win the champions league when you'll use more left-footed players, who needs ronaldo when you have coentrao ;)

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Amazing job on corners, really!

hehehe in my second season star centre-back Curbelo is still getting the job done from corners, 7 goals in 17 games between league & cups.

btw my team is doing fine in C1, not dominatnig like in C2 but currently leading the league and fighting with fallen giants Torino (they really have a great squad) for the 1st place (which means direct promotion). We'll see...

Also I managed a couple of upsets in the Italian cup early rounds, beating 2 teams from serie A (Bari and Ascoli) who thought their reserves/young players could be enough against a neo-promoted C1 side... bad idea!

I have to face my beloved Fiorentina in the next round and I'm afraid even their under-20 team would beat me bad actually... well I can accept that!

hi again, so left-footed players its the key player for this tactic?? can you give me a key player for this position???i have 56 milions yet xD

hi again, so left-footed players its the key player for this tactic?? can you give me a key player for this position???i have 56 milions yet xD

well this tactic was designed specifically for left-footed wingers (both AML & AMR), but I wouldn't drop Ronaldo just because he's righty... maybe you can try him as a striker, or you may want to re-design the formation for right-footed wingers, or keep CR7 where he is now, after all you won the league...

I usually like to manage low budget (or lower division) teams, so in my personal experience the best I can recommend would be Martin Zeman and Diego Buonanotte, or unattached brazilian veterans Denilson and Savio Bortolini... but honestly none of them should be enough for top class teams.

Without budget limitations, I guess Gareth Bale should work great as a classic AML, then of course Robben or Messi himself are obviously top notch (both as AML or AMR). Once trained to AMR, I think Douglas Costa and James Rodriguez should be your best options amongst youngsters.

Let me know your progress, and if left-footed wingers will bring you success or failures!

i put CR7 at AML and he is insane, my team scores more and strikes scores more its fantastic!!! but i like your suggest to do this "you may want to re-design the formation for right-footed wingers"...maybe its the best option no?

my result with CR7 AT AML:

<script src='http://img821.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=manchestercitymancityca.png&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Last edited:
i put CR7 at AML and he is insane, my team scores more and strikes scores more its fantastic!!! but i like your suggest to do this "you may want to re-design the formation for right-footed wingers"...maybe its the best option no?

my result with CR7 AT AML:

<script src='http://img821.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=manchestercitymancityca.png&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

absolutely, use my tactic as a base then tweak it according to your players and your preferences, see what works and what doesn't.

Ronaldo at AML cutting inside to create chances for himself and others definitely not a bad idea...

cheers

hi again i finish my season with man city my results:

Premiere league

<script src='http://img442.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=primeiraligainglesainfo.png&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

cup:

<script src='http://img221.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=taadaligainglesainforma.png&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

champions league:

<script src='http://img375.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=taadoscampeeseuropeusin.png&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

hi again i finish my season with man city my results:

Premiere league

<script src='http://img442.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=primeiraligainglesainfo.png&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

cup:

<script src='http://img221.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=taadaligainglesainforma.png&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

champions league:

<script src='http://img375.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=taadoscampeeseuropeusin.png&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

wow that's some serious domination! 16 goals conceded in the whole season, and a 7-1 vs Madrid in the CL final!? nice touch

so what adjustments you did to the tactic?