Keegan dismisses England hopes with Rooney doubts

Reaction score
Source: Goal.com

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2890...d-manager-kevin-keegan-three-lions-would-have

Kevin Keegan has said that England have got no chance of lifting the World Cup in South Africa this summer should Manchester United striker Wayne Roonye be out with injury.The ex-Newcastle United boss also warned current England manager Fabio Capello that he may face backlash from the England fans should their expectations not be fulfilled in this year's World Cup.

Your thoughts?

How optimistic...
Nah, as an England fan, i won't judge Capello should we not do well, he's been superb.

shush, Keggy.

*Like*

Was quite surprised when I first saw this but it did make some sense.

I don't think we have 'no chance' if Rooney's out with injury,but it would be a massive blow should he be rocked with injury.

its so annoying when people think if rooneys out england have no chance its not like his the only good player in the squad

its so annoying when people think if rooneys out england have no chance its not like his the only good player in the squad

Yeah I know,it's called a national team for a reason.

Last edited:
The pundits are propably saying this to spur the others to play better and up thier game to prove that england aren't a one man team and can go all the way

think keegan should keep his trap shut

Yeah I know,it's called an national team for a reason.
To be fair though rooney is our only striker who is a proven goalscorer on the international stage. If we were without him i wouldn't be confident in the abilities of his replacements to step up and fill the void.

To be fair though rooney is our only striker who is a proven goalscorer on the international stage. If we were without him i wouldn't be confident in the abilities of his replacements to step up and fill the void.
we have a good midfield capable of scoriing goals. if rooney was injured, i'd switch to 4-2-3-1, crouch dropping off and everyone attacking in an around him

Is Defoe not a proven goalscorer?

imsure crouch has got a good internation goal record hasnt he ??

Is Defoe not a proven goalscorer?
On the international stage? As in, in international games?

Not really. He's never scored in a world cup.

I'm not saying he would definetly fail if he had to step up but i wouldn't be confident in england winning the world cup with defoe as our main striker.

I mean even with him our chances aren't great, we could do it but without him i wouldn't bet on it.

Crouch does have a good record but seriously they're all a major step down from rooney and i just wouldn't be confident in us winning it.

Not really, Bent can step up to the challenge, so could Defoe.

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Yeah I know,it's called an national team for a reason.

Its actuall called a national team. ;)

Defoe and Crouch play well together,

peter crouch has scored 20 goals in 37 games for england which i think is a very good scoring record for england and it proves rooney isnt the only good goal scoring striker for england

peter crouch has scored 20 goals in 37 games for england which i think is a very good scoring record for england and it proves rooney isnt the only good goal scoring striker for england
As much as i love crouch and think he's a good player all of his international goals have come against minnows.

I'm not saying the backup we have is **** or that some of them don't have good goalscoring records but i just personally wouldn't back a defoe/ crouch partnership to lead us to the world cup or any other combination of strikers which doesn't involve rooney. Even with him theres a good chance we won't win it so without him i reckon our chances are slim. He is our only genuinely world class striker.

If unfortunately rooney is injured for the world cup i'd love to be proven wrong but i just don't see it.

Do you think it's a good idea playing a combo of Darren Bent, Jermain Defoe and Crocuh and/or Walcott Upfront in the group stages instead of risking Rooney and his "favourite International partner" Heskey? Because Englnd will get past the Group Stages and don't need to risk Rooney.

Do you think it's a good idea playing a combo of Darren Bent, Jermain Defoe and Crocuh and/or Walcott Upfront in the group stages instead of risking Rooney and his "favourite International partner" Heskey? Because Englnd will get past the Group Stages and don't need to risk Rooney.
No. If Rooney is fit, play him.