flamindamon

Reaction score
Hi, I just started with MK Dons in league 1, this is the lowest i have ever managed as i am always in premier league.(I know its not that though league and i didnt think it would really go into the tactics section as its only advice). Anyway, how would i have to change my tactics if/when i start in lower league than premier league, as MK Dons aren't premier league style so they wouldn't have premier league tactics.
So any advice for a first time lower league manager?
Thanks;)
Help would be appreciated soon?

Last edited:
That's not all that low. I play lower so I don't allow for roaming and I play more direct. The players just aren't smart/fast enough to recover from mistakes or make the right decision. There's only 2 players I allow to have a lot of creative freedom and they're my playmakers (advanced and deep lying). Look at your squad. on my game MK Dons have a pretty good squad in the 1st season and they use a vannila 4-4-2. Probably one of the best squads on paper in L1. So I'm not sure that going the disciplined/direct route is best. IMO all the tactics used for the higher leagues will work it just depends on your players strengths and weaknesses.

I've used these tactics at lower levels (Blue Square South/North level)
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=1762
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=1534
and am currently using
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=1257

They all work you just have to have the players to do it. The attribute values may change for the players at different levels (a player attribute of 5 for passing for your playmaker may work for Isthman level but it's not going to work at L1 level).

Ok thanks mate, im not very good at this lower league stuff (even though it is not that low) i think i tried before but just got too frustrated after about ten games. But i have always wanted to get good as there is loads of stories of people getting bad teams into good league positions, and as mk dons are my local team and i go to watch them frequently so i would like to get them in a good place.
Is there anything bad about this?: I know its not my best team, as there is many injuries.

View attachment 38235
View attachment 38236
View attachment 38237

Last edited:
TBH I couldn't say if it's good or not. I'm not too familiar with the MK Dons squad. Knowing your players is the trick for low leagues. for my guys I use this in general but in the advanced section I do more tweaks for specific players. For me I want to go attack but I don't want to get exposed too often so I try to get my guys to win the ball as high up the pitch as possible. And most of my squad with the exception of my wingers are pretty good tacklers for this level I'm playing. Some refs don't like it so for those matches I change the instructions to stand off more.

ie Sol Davis is on the slow side maybe just keep him back with a defend duty only as he's not fast enough and will get caught out in transition?
Jabo Ibehre as a target man with (support duty - supply to head also get him to challenge the keeper at corners) and Sam Baldock as a poacher instead?
Don't know if a counter/slow tempo is the right way to go. considering how fast this team is in general pretty sure you could run most teams off the park. Take this with a grain of salt the only other team I'm familiar with on L1 is Leyton Orient and they're generally a fair bit slower at most positions.

I assume you've read this?
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f73/important-attributes-for-players-t23869.html

Last edited:
TBH I couldn't say if it's good or not. I'm not too familiar with the MK Dons squad. Knowing your players is the trick for low leagues. for my guys I use this in general but in the advanced section I do more tweaks for specific players.

ie Sol Davis is on the slow side maybe just keep him back with a defend duty only as he's not fast enough and will get caught out in transition?
Jabo Ibehre as a target man with (support duty - supply to head) and Sam Baldock as a poacher instead?
Ahh, thanks a lot mate.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

But surely Thurrock aren't a very good team in bsp, so why are you playing attacking? And not or defensive? Is it working using attacking and i dont think mk dons are that good in league 1 so i play counter.

Last edited:
Ahh, thanks a lot mate.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

But surely Thurrock aren't a very good team in bsp, so why are you playing attacking? And not or defensive? Is it working using attacking and i dont think mk dons are that good in league 1 so i play counter.

They're not. But buying players and loan deals help. ANd I attack because in general my fullbacks are fast enough to recover at this level. I have a my central defenders set as limited defenders so they always stay back. But they're fairly quick as well to run down and put pressure on strikers. Not many strikers with pace higher than 13 at this level. I actually try not to buy anyone with a pace attribute less than 10 if I can help it even at this level.
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f79/my-attempt-bss-to-premiership-t30476.html
It works for me (one of my best players is an MK Dons youngster David King BTW) I just buy players that will fit the system. I loaned Gael Kakuta last season and used him as my main playmaker. So Ok I'm not going to be able to sign a player with his stats so I bought a CM with good passing, creativity and decision skills for this level. He's nowhere near as fast or anywhere near potential but in his role it's more important to be creative and a good passer than to be fast for the deep lying playmaker role. he's coming 3rd in the league through 21 games with 7 assists and 3 MOM performances. He's actually probably doing just as good a job if not better than Mr Kakuta did for me last year with a 75% pass completion rate and 3 tackles p/g against tougher opposition. Tackling isn't one of Mr Kakuta's strong suits in this game. that's what I mean about knowing your players. lesser guys can do the job if you use them properly.

Last edited:
Thanks you helped me a lot, how did you know about to put ibehre support and baldock poacher etc? I usually just put any of them poacher how do i know in the future to put as poacher now? And do i always need a supporting striker and this level?
Thanks

See the link for important attributes for players?
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f73/important-attributes-for-players-t23869.html
Baldock has all the pretty good attributes to be a poacher. Ibehre has decent jumping and ok heading plus 188cm. In lower leagues as long as they have ok attributes for most things for that role they'll do well. They can have less for one or two attributes at level and lower because if they were perfect they wouldn't be playing here they'd be in the big leagues

You have to remember that it's a team game. having too many players doing the same thing makes your attack stale and predictable. With a poacher I always like to have a big target man next to him. Especially if he's small which Mr Baldock is at 171 cm. His pace is deadly. You could use a Complete forward with a poacher if he was a good enough passer.

Last edited:
I'm in my 4th season with MK Dons, and am in the premiership with them. Winning L1 with them isn't terribly hard, as a couple inspired loan signings and a little luck with your players' fitness are all you really need to win with them. Their standard 4-4-2 works fairly well, but I tend to move to a 4-5-1 with them, as they can be strong in that formation as well.

Easter, Puncheon, Leven, Lewington, Johnson, Gueret, and Doumbe should all be in your Starting XI week in and week out. Baldock, Gleeson, Chadwick, Wilbraham, Gobern, and Howell should have plenty of appearances as well. Teaching one of Baldock, Easter, or Wilbraham to play out on the wing (AMR/AML) is a good strategy to give more people playing time and to be able to rotate your squad better.

As for who is fairly worthless: Sol Davis is terrible. The only reason why he should be considered is because of the lack of depth at that position in the squad (although Adam Chicksen is a good young prospect). Jabo Ibehre, although he's a somewhat decent player at this level, isn't any better than the other three strikers you have, and doesn't have any room to improve, so he's fairly useless. Searle is only on the squad because of a lack of depth there too, so look to get a good young keeper in there ASAP.

The rest of the players that I haven't mentioned are either marginal players or solid substitutes or very streaky players. They'll fit in well when injuries abound, but they don't deserve regular playing time if you can help it. David King, Danny Powell, and Adam Chicksen are your best young players.

Where/How to get good players for this level? Scout as much as possible, look for frees, and affiliate yourself with a Premiership club (Arsenal is a fairly good one to try and get) so you can loan good young players with greater ease.

Where in the squad should you improve? Theoretically, the whole squad. Only 3-5 of those definite starters have enough quality to play in the Championship, the rest will be rotation players at best, so bringing in young talent should be a big priority. As for the season at hand, another good central midfielder will help you immensely, as will a central defender. Take a look around and see if you can find a right back as well, as Woodards is very streaky. Finally, get a young goalkeeper that can rotate in for Gueret regularly, or will be ready to next season.

Beyond that, it's all up to you, but I think that's a fairly good jumping off point.

I know this is a little late (3 months eh) but this is my first post on this forum and I thought I have something to give. I've just been promoted to champ with these guys. First of all I'll start by saying the squad is actually quite strong for a L1 side, but will need to be reinforced with decent loans. I'm just going to note some random facts that I can remember from the top of my head:

I played with a 4-2-2-2 explained below:
4 defenders. DL and DR set to auto. Set one of your CB to cover.
2 Mids. Set one to Defend and one to either support or a Deep Lying playmaker.
2 wingers. Play these guys in the AML/R positions wide. Attack tactics, ask them to cross rarely as we are weak aerially.
2 strikers- set one (strongest) as poacher and the other to advanced forward.

General tactics: Fluid, attacking start, expressive, drill crosses. I think all the rest are default
Play with a slightly deep def line, play quite wide and pretty fast tempo. For corners I usually went for short option.

Gueret is better than Tuffey, don't listen to your assistant lol. Be aware he will retire at the end of the season

Sam Baldock is your strongest striker as you know, but be careful not to dwarf him by using Player Preferred Moves that your backroom advise you on. I asked him to shoot with less power which led to him scoring less.

Ibrehe is an underrated striker and can actually bang them in quite easily.

Moube is pretty much your best centre back and will save your *** alot.

I don't really rate Jermain Easter, didn't do much for me. Same with J Johnson. I got better wingers in.

You will need to sign some quality DL DR, I got david gray from man u.

Can't think of anything else right now but let me know how it goes!

Haha, i havent been on here since the last time I posted I dont know why I came on here, luckily I did. Thanks