Leaking too many goals with Spurs

• Thread starter Thread starter BartonFink
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 2K

BartonFink

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in my 3rd season with a counter attacking Spurs, I play 3 central defenders (defensive)-Bassong, King, Howedes, 1 deeplying playmaker (defensive)-Parker, 2 box-to-boxers Modric, Sandro, and Attacking mid centre (attacking) van der Vaart, 2 inside forwards (attacking) on either wing- Bale, Muniain, and a poacher- Doumbia.

I'm 27 games into my 3rd season and I've conceded 30 goals, scoring goals fine, but was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on ways to stop leaking goals? Cheers!

My best guess is that when using a formation without any wide midfielders or defenders you will conceed to matter what settings you use. especially when playing in England facing teams that do like to counter down the flanks using those classsic wingers

Also, if you have no trouble beating teams and seem to conceed everytime you are 3-0 up, then its basiclly because your team stops to play and close down the opponent- If using a high pressing approach, this means that as soon as your team stop closing down as a unit, you will be dragged out of position and the team will loose its shape. Better then to try to keep possession and sit back a bit

In My opinion i dont have anything i can say which will help, Done these tactics And didnt enjoy for the above reasons.

Fm ME is very much Against 3 defence, its very very underated. Concidering Juventus went unbeaten and let in the least useing 3 Defenders this season. Hopfully in FM13 they make some changes to allow people to create more Stable and consistant 3 defence tactics.

Infact 1 might might help you,

Remove 1 of your Box to mob Midfielders and Replace it with a Sweeper sitting in behind the 3 man defence, Set to Full Close down and Roam from position.

This meens that the Player in behind the 3 man defence will be able to close down the wing to give him less room.

GK
SW
DC DC DC
DLP
BBM
IF AM IF
P

Also Play Very wide

Thanks guys! I reviewed all the goals I conceded this season (FAR too much time on my hands...) and a lot of them were from players attacking down the flanks. Gonna see if 4 defenders and no AMC works, which seems to suit Modric when he runs into the box.

Furthermore, about team instructions, my impression would be that for counter attacking football, I should have a back line which stand off rather than close down, tackle cautiously and employ zonal marking. Thoughts?

I am a naughty littel spammer. Oh, I also have a tiny little p....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back