Leeds United - The New English "Hoffenheim"

Micky Pain

Reaction score
Alright, big surprise, another Leeds United save.
What can I say, I always try different clubs but after two seasons at the most I long back to managing my Leeds team.

As a lot of time I end up with my usual suspects as key signings I want to try something different this time, namely a scenario.

The scenario is as follows:
A long-time fan and supporter of LUFC decided to whip out his checkbook and donate a lot of his own money to the club in hopes of helping the team to regain their once proud position in the Premier League.

With all those foreign owners, consortiums and the likes, it doesn't sound too unlikely a scenario, and the real-life counterpart of Hoffenheim is the best example of them all.

The idea is to attract a lot of young talent to the club and rise through the ranks to challenge on both domestic as well as European level. I will still not be easy, even with a big transfer budget, as even rising stars are not all that likely to want to play for a League 1 team (even with an ex-international player as manager).

So, to sum up, I am going to start a new save with a one-time budget cheat (say, 20-30 million) and take it from there.

Now, I know cheating is frowned upon here, and I do get that sentiment, but after all my Leeds saves that tend to look very similar in the first few seasons, I'm longing for something new.

To sum it up, I will start that save no matter what, I just want to know if anybody might be interested to follow my story about it that I can update here, or if you'd all rather I keep it to myself.

Id be interested :) just try keep the signings sort of realistic if u get what i mean.

Post it m8 it would be interestin to see what results you are gettin with big budget and what youngsters you sign. and i wouldnt worry too much about youngsters not wanting to come to you leeds may be league 1 but they have quite high rep after all there ex prem team. and even at the minute have enough quality about them to play top end championship / low end premiership with the right guidance good luck mate keep us posted

Good luck but like Berg Kamp said keep it realistic.

no offense, mate. but from the other stories which were edited, there werent many friendly comments. so i would suggest that you do a proper story instead or keep the edited save to yourself so as to avoid them. nevertheless, i will follow, no matter which database you use cos im a fan of leeds as well. cheers :)

Id would check your story out, be interesting to see which players you could sign with that budget...

Thanks guys.
I guess I WILL be making a story out of it.
I got a few targets in mind.
As for (somewhat) realistic, I think it's a given. The likes of Vela are completely out, certainly.
I suppose the biggest names I can realistically target might be Feghouli and possibly Zuculini.
I want to get in guys up to age 20 that can grow up together with the club, maybe reinforece it with some cheap veterans that can tutor them.

As for the cheating, as I said, it will be a one-time finance boost to start the scenario. No further player editing or other "outside aids" will be used.
I will start this thing tonight when I get home from work.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

EDIT:
Although, I wish I could have Delph back...but, nah, THAT would be cheating....

I'll be following. I love editing. It's so fun :p but I don't use it in stories. However, good luck.

Yeah, I know, League 1 is usually not much of a contest.
However, I'd really like to build the core of a brand new team now, with good young talent, that I can keep all the way to the top.
Before, when I was playing, I had money for maybe one or two that were good enough for lower Premier League, but the rest was one or two season signings before they were in over their head.
This time, I want a fresh start, scrap most of the team and refill it with under 20s that will help me go places.
Also, if I build a team now (in League 1) that is good enough to win the Championship they will have a whole season to gel and I have a good chance after promotion with little new signings.

I'm still at work, so no-go for another few hours, but here's a few hot targets that I was thinking off so far:

Hot Targets:
Beevers (CB), Mattock (LB), Joao Paulo (AMC), Adailton (FS), Ticinov(MC), Danjil Aleksic (ST)
Possibles:
Feghouli (AM), Zuculini (either, or both), Sneijder and most likely Appiah on free, as it would be a shame NOT to sign him.

I know, many foreigners, but I do find English players terribly overpriced (and jaded) to begin with, and unless they are really unhappy it will be no small feat to rip them from the likes of Liverpool or Man U...

Feel free to add any suggestions, especially for a good young keeper.

David Jensen. Very good promising young goalkeeper. He's 16 years old and can be signed for 2.5k! My scouts think he has the potential to be as good as Shay Given. Check him out!

Alex Smithies or Joe Lewis are good young english keepers who would walk into leeds first team
smithies is very young 18/19 and i think lewis is 21/22

I'll check in on this from time to time :)

Quick update:
I got Jensen, Joao Paulo, Beevers, Adailton, Ticinovic and Rodney Sneijder.
John Fleck on a loan with option to buy as well as Appiah, Lauren and Andre Zuba on free transfer.
Aleksic accepted but I couldn't get a work permit (same with a very promosing looking Jamaican goalie...).
As expected, Mattock turned down the offer, and the transfer attempts for Traore, Feghouli and F. Zuculini petered out.

I will start a proper thread once I'm back from work again.
Didn't feel like doing so last night as I was so busy number crunching to get an assistant manager and comparing players (which was hard as I can only scout UK and France....).

All in all, I don't feel really dirty for the "rich man gives money" scenario, as it is still quite tricky to attract players to join. I think for now I bide my time and hope I can get some more desired targets in the January window.

---------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 01:07 AM ----------

Great...two games in the season my hard drive died.
Had to replace it and spent all night yesterday reinstalling the OS and all the other stuff.
I only managed to set up the initial game save, start of season now.
I will start the new season this weekend and will start a new thread about it when it get's underway....

Work intervened with posting, but I finished my first season, and I hope I can start posting the actual story over the course of this weekend.