Les Gones - Olympique Lyonnais Guide for FM12

StuW

Why So Serious?
Reaction score
Hello, and thanks for reading my guide to managing Olympique Lyonnais on Football Manager 2012. This guide isn't complete, or entriely correct. There are many ways to manage a club, this is just the way I do it...

LES GONES - Olympique Lyonnais Guide

*using LFCMarshall's Update, includes all major January Transfers*

lhNaa.png

Olympique Lyonnais is a French association football club based in Lyon. They play in France's highest football division, Ligue 1. The club was formed as Lyon Olympique Universitaire in 1899, according to many supporters and sport historians, but was nationally established as a club in 1950. The club's most successful period has been the 21st century. The club won its first ever Ligue 1 championship in 2002, starting a national record-breaking streak of seven successive titles. Lyon have also won a record seven Trophée des Champions, four Coupe de France titles and three Ligue 2 Championships. The club have appeared in the UEFA Champions League 12 times, and reached the semi-finals in the 2009-2010 season.

Full Name - Olympique Lyonnais
Founded - 1950
Nicknames - Les Gones(the kids), OL, Lyon
Fierce Rivals - Saint-Étienne, Marseille
Other Rivals - PSG, Lyon-Duchère, Bordeaux, Grenoble, Saint-Priest, FC Bourg-Pèronnas, Clermont
Club Legends & Icons - Jean-Michel Aulas, Bernard Lacombe, Alain Caveglia, Juninho Pernambucano, Sonny Anderson, Sidney Govou, Gregory Coupet, Cacapa, Fleury di Nallo, Serge Chiesa.
League - Ligue 1
League Position(2010-2011) - 3rd
Corporate Facilities - Good Corporate Facilities
Training Facilities - Top Training Facilities
Youth Facilities - Excellent Youth Facilities
Junior Coaching - Good Junior Coaching
Youth Recruitment - Extensive Youth Recruitment
Stadium - Stade Gerland(40,500) - moving to Stade des Lumières on 8/12/2013(61,556)
1085674.jpg

Kits

jS3bY.png
KygRQ.png
uyrRM.png

Start of Season Expectations

With Lyon, you have good budgets to work with. You will be given three options when you start -

Champions League Qualification(league) - £12m, £750k p/w
Title Challenge - £15m, £850kp/w
Winner - £16.25m, £875k p/w

Either are good choices, but I choose Title Challenge, which is very much attainable with a couple of good signings. ECL Qualification is maybe too easy, as you should finish in the top three or four without too much trouble. Only choose Winner if you are 100% confident you will win the title.

By choosing the Title Challenge option, you can raise the Transfer Budget to around £20m, but you shouldn't need to spend more than the initial amount. This can also be raised by selling players, but more on that later...

The Squad

5312.jpg

Goalkeepers
Hugo LLORIS
Remy VERCOUTRE
Matthieu VALVERDE

The three goalkeepers you have available should be more than good enough for the first season or two. Obviously Lloris is first choice, and I prefer Valverde as backup. The first season, I decided to sell Remy Vercoutre to raise a little extra cash.

IN - none
OUT - Vercoutre(£1.3m)

Defenders
DR

Anthony REVEILLERE
Mouhamadou DABO

Again, this position is perfectly fine. There is no problem with the two players here, I use Reveillere, with Dabo providing backup. However, look out for any good young DR to replace the ageing Reveillere(31), but this does not have to be a priority this season.

IN - none
OUT - none

DL

Aly CISSOKHO
Thimothée KOLODZIEJCZAK

This is a position that does need a better backup. Aly Cissokho is a top Supporting Full Back, but Timothee is not good enough yet to challenge for a first-team spot.

IN - Gaëtan Bong(Valenciennes, ), Cheik M'Bengue(Toulouse, £5m), Kevin Theophile-Catherine(Rennes, )
OUT - Thimothée Kolodziejczak(loan)

DC

CRIS
John MENSAH
Dejan LOVREN
Bakary KONE

Yet another strong position. However, there are two things to watch out for. Cris is 34, so he will need replacing eventually, and John Mensah has a tendency to pick up a lot of injuries. However, these are not immediately in need of adressing, and you can look to nurture some of the already good young talents for their spots in the future. Both Lovren and Kone will develop well, and will provide plenty of quality in the defence. This isn't a position I tend to change until at least a season into the game.

IN - Mapou Yanga Mbiwa(Montpellier), Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik(Rennes), Onyekachi Apam(Rennes).
OUT - John Mensah, only if you cannot look past his injury proneness.

Midfielders
DMC/MC/AMC

Maxime GONALONS(DM)
Kim KALLSTROM
Gueïda FOFANA
Yoann GOURCUFF(inj)(AMC)
EDERSON(AMC)
Clement GRENIER(AMC)

Plenty of quality here. Unfortunately, you will have to go on without Gourcuff, who is injured for 2-3 months. Kim Kallstrom should be your first choice midfielder. I prefer to play with 2 MC, one ball-winner(Kallstrom) and a creative player. You can go with Ederson or Grenier, but neither seem to play well for me. I tend to send Grenier and Gonalons on loan, whilst keeping Fofana as backup to Kallstrom. Look for a player to play as a Deep-Lying Playmaker to sign.

IN - Claudemir(FC Copenhagem, £3m), Fernandinho(Shakhtar), Youssuf Mulumbu(West Brom).
OUT - Clement Grenier(loan), Maxime Gonalons(loan), Ederson.

MR/AMR

Jimmy BRIAND
Jeremy PIED

A strong position. Briand will be first choice, whilst Pied will provide adequate backup to him.

IN - none
OUT - none

ML/AML

MICHEL BASTOS

In this position, there is very good player in Michel Bastos. But, unless you decide to use Pied to backup both wings(which can be a dangerous idea), you may need to look at bringing in another left winger.

IN - Marius Alexe(Dinamo Bucharest), Antoine Griezmann(R. Sociedad), Franck Tabanou(Toulouse)
OUT - none

Forwards
Lisandro LOPEZ
Bafetimbi GOMIS
Yannis TAFER
Alexandre LACAZETTE

Beyond the major quality of Lisandro and Gomis, you have two young inexperienced fowards. Tafer will be OK as a backup player, but both are better being sent on loan to get first team football, as they both can develop into top players.

IN - Marouane Chamakh(loan, Arsenal), Marcus Berg(loan, HSV), Dominique Malonga(Cesena), Amr Zaki(Zamalek), Artem Milevskyi(Dynamo Kyiv)
OUT - Alex Lacazette(loan), Yannis Tafer(loan)

And here are the transfers I made, and with money still left in the coffers, to bring in youngsters to develop:

Oa7JI.png

Coaching Staff

Assistant Manager -Bruno Genesio.
1st Team Coaches - none.
Coaches - Gerald Baticle, Stephane Roche.
Fitness Coaches - Robert Duverne.
GK Coaches - Joel Bats.
Youth Coaches - Gilles Rousset, Armand Garrido, Vincent Espie, Christophe Delmotte.

I keep Duverne(4.5* fitness), Bats(4.5* GK), Rousset(promote to GK coach), Garrido(promote to Coach).

Recommended Coaches-

Elio Carravetta(Assistant Manager)
Paul Winsper(Fitness) or Didier Farrugia(Fitness)
Francois Blaquart(Technical)
Adolfo Valencia(Attack)
Orjan Berg(Shooting)
Regis Beunardeau(Defence)

Tactical Setup

With the players at your disposal, plus potential new signings, I reccomend playing the following formations to get the best out of your team:

1) 4-2-4

xf3YY.jpg

This is my main tactic. There is a good balance of Defensive, Supporting and Attacking players.
Touchline Shouts - Retain Possession, Clear Ball To Flanks

2) Deep 4-2-3-1
IMtDA.jpg

This is specifically designed to nullify teams that play an AMC, or Attack-minded Midfield.
Touchline Shouts - Retain Possession, Clear Ball To Flanks, Pass Ball to Feet

3) 4-3-3 Wingers

UXhBb.jpg

A more attacking style, using two 'proper' Inside Forwards to support the lone striker, along with a balanced midfield.
Touchline Shouts - Retain Possession, Clear Ball To Flanks, Pass Ball Into Space

The Future of Lyon...

Lastly, I will take a quick look at the top 10 youngsters at the club, who if developed will possibly become good players.
Gueida FOFANA(DM/MC)
cfJKx.png

Yannis TAFER(ST)

M5bha.jpg

Thimothee KOLOODZIEJCZAK(D/WBL)

xniJn.jpg

Alex LACAZETTE(AMR/ST)

4UfDi.jpg

Harry NOVILLO(AMR)

eQH8E.jpg

Sebastien FAURE(DC)

LsQc0.jpg

Enzo REALE(MC)

Lx5WY.jpg

Clement GRENIER(MC/AMC)

LRf8B.jpg

Kevin TAPOKO(AMC)

DiwdN.jpg

Hamdan AL-KAMALI(DC)

dRZ7y.jpg

Other Players to watch -

Anthony Lopes(GK)
William Le Pogam(AML)
Theo Defourny(GK)
Sidy Kone(DM)
Jeremy Pied(AMRL)
Maxime Gonalons(DM)
~~~

Reccomended Downloads

Dunc's Training Schedules - HERE
Raikan's Traning Regime - HERE

LFCMarshall's Update - HERE

Infusse Skin by dforlan9 - HERE
B'Logos Megapack by me - HERE

Short & Sweet Tactic by Raikan - HERE

That is it for now, I will add some player screenshots soon for the team, and add anything I have missed out.

Thanks to---
Dunc- for great training schedules
Raikan- for great training schedules and tactic
dforlan9- for great skin

Last edited: