Not open for further replies.

sunilvk7

SAF greatest ever.
Reaction score
images

October 15, 2011
Kick off: 12:45 PM
Anfield,

Liverpool versus Manchester United and all the fiery history that goes with it is just the game to blow away the cobwebs after the international break and herald the return of the Premier League. Some cynics may even suggest it's the perfect showpiece upon which Reds managing director Ian Ayre might like to hang a controversial proposal to break away from the league's collective TV bargaining deal in order to go rogue and land bundles of lovely foreign lucre. But we digress. Back to the football.

United head into the Saturday's early kick-off at Anfield in a position of strength, six points clear of fifth place Liverpool and top of the league, having made one of their best ever starts to a season. But United's recent performances have not been as convincing as at the beginning of the campaign and questions are beginning to be asked of a relatively inexperienced back line that, although they have conceded just five goals this season, have allowed 97 shots on David de Gea's goal, the most of any club in the division.

Newly capped England international Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans have filled in admirably in the absence of centre-back pairing Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic, but have started to look somewhat shaky of late and United will need an experienced head at the back when they travel to Anfield, a venue where they last avoided a defeat in 2007, courtesy of a Carlos Tevez strike in 1-0 win.

A good time then to welcome back captain Vidic, who has finally recovered from the calf injury he suffered against West Brom in United's opening match of the season and is back in contention for a starting berth following a run out with Serbia on Tuesday. Vidic, 29, will bring added maturity and leadership to a defence that is sure to be severely tested by the dual threat of leading-scorer Luis Suarez and the physicality of Andy Carroll.

That is, of course, if Vidic manages to stay on the pitch.The Serbian defender has famously been sent off on three consecutive occasions against the Reds, although his last dismissal came in 2009 and his tormentor in chief, Fernando Torres, now wears the blue of Chelsea. Vidic was absent when the central defensive partnership of Wes Brown (now at Sunderland) and Smalling shipped three goals in last season's humbling 3-1 defeat at Anfield but was present in United's 3-2 victory at Old Trafford, even managing to put the shackles on Torres.

It was Steven Gerrard who popped up to score both of Liverpool's goals in that particular Premier League clash and the Reds skipper is set to make a timely return to the starting line-up on Saturday. The 31-year-old is slowly recovering from the groin operation he underwent in April and having featured as a substitute in Liverpool's last three games is ready to take his place in the team following a rest during the international break.The last time Gerrard started a game for Kenny Dalglish's side was the aforementioned 3-1 win over United in March.

The returning captain, who has scored five goals against United down the years, remains a truly talismanic figure and will give Liverpool, who head into the match already high in confidence following back to back victories over Wolves and Everton, a further boost. Dalglish's biggest headache will be how to squeeze Gerrard into an overstocked midfield that was further boosted by the arrival of £20 million Stewart Downing, £16 million Jordan Henderson and £9 million Charlie Adam over the summer.

Gerrard replaced Adam in the Merseyside derby and the Scotsman could once again be the victim, unless the manager opts to revert to a five-man midfield and ditch the 4-4-2 that has brought maximum points from the last two games.Manchester United have also gone with a 4-4-2 in their three away matches in the Premier League this season, with Anderson and Tom Cleverley the preferred partnership in central midfield before the latter injured his foot against Bolton in September. However, Cleverley, who recently signed a new deal with the English champions, could make an early comeback at Anfield

.Liverpool player to watch: Dirk Kuyt. The Dutchman was restored to the Liverpool side in place of Jordan Henderson against Everton and, despite missing a penalty, excelled in the 2-0 derby victory at Goodison Park. Kuyt is Liverpool's equivalent of United's Ji-Sung Park in that he is not usually the most spectacular player on the pitch but is always dependable. However, Kuyt did score a hat-trick, his first for Liverpool, the last time United visited to Anfield and he's clearly a man for the big occasion.

Manchester United player to watch: Wayne Rooney. The England striker was sent off against Montenegro last Friday, leading to accusations that he wasn't in the right frame of mind to play in the Euro 2012 qualifier following the arrest of his father the day before by police investigating a football betting scam. However, United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has defended the former Everton striker's temperament and is confident he is ready for another tough test at Anfield. The Premier League's leading goalscorer possesses undoubted quality and if he can rise above the inevitable taunts could well add to his nine-goal tally for the season.

Key Battle: Jose Enrique v Nani. Liverpool's new left back has started all seven Premier League games this season, earning a man of the match performance against Arsenal and turned provider for Suarez and Carroll against Wolves and Everton respect

Trivia:
After three home games this season Liverpool remain unbeaten at Anfield, with two wins and a draw, while Manchester United have exactly the same record away from home.

Stats: Manchester United have the best shot conversion rate in the Premier League this season at 26%.ively, but it will be his defensive qualities that are put to the test Nani. United's pacy winger has enjoyed a prolific start to the season with three goals and three assists in seven games and will be one of the main threats at Anfield.

Last few seasons our performance at Anfield has been below average. One of the trickiest fixture and hardest as Rooney said. I would take draw gladly. Last season we played with Carrick Scholes midfield combination which was epic fail and also we played with Smalling and Brown as CBs. No wonder we got beaten so badly. Our mobility or lack of it was so pathetic, hopefully we will do lot better this season.

2-2.

Last edited:
Is that tosspot Atkinson the ref for this? Can't remember. Will wait for reply before giving prediction for obvious reasons............

Is that tosspot Atkinson the ref for this? Can't remember. Will wait for reply before giving prediction for obvious reasons............

Andre Marriner is the ref, glad its not Atkinson :)

• United have lost on each of the last four occasions that they failed to name Fletcher in the starting XI against their old enemy.

• The only action the midfielder played in any of those matches was as a late substitute in the 3-1 defeat at Anfield last March..

• To further illustrate his importance, United’s last three wins against Liverpool have come with Fletcher in the centre of midfield.

Andre Marriner is the ref, glad its not Atkinson :)

Thank god for that-for footballing reasons. That case should be a corker-but I just cannot see which side will win-they've both got goals. So sitting on the fence for a 2-2. Really looking forward to watching this match. And also expecting Dalglish to ***** and moan if a ref decision goes against them, and to keep quiet about an ill-advised decision that may go against Utd saying he didn't see it and to jump on a journo if he mentions it.

Im going for a narrow 1 goal win for liverpool.
Possibly 2-1.
United havnt looked unbeatable in recent weeks and Liverpool can pose a genuine challenge.

My Fav O'Shea moment. Winner at Anfield after they battered us for 90 mins. Epic game that was.

[video=youtube;qHxJThRSkHQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHxJThRSkHQ[/video]

Liverpool 2 - 1 Manchester United

Suarez || Carroll
-----
Hernandez​

I think suarez will be too much for their defense, whoever plays. Whether it's vidic starting without match fitness and the risk of yet another red card or a younger less experienced defense, that as the OP outlines, has conceded more shots than any other team.

I just can't see us losing this fixture if we give a good performance.

2-1 liverpool.

Think we'll see goals in this game. Neither side has looked super solid at the back and both look dangerous going forward. I'd like to see us line up

De Gea
Smalling - Ferdinand/Vidic - Jones - Evra
Nani - Fletcher - Anderson - Young
Rooney - Welbeck​

Welbeck over Hernandez as Chicharito will only arrive back from international duty on Thursday night so he'll be more tired + Welbeck didn't have a midweek international. Jones should play for his pace to match up against Suarez with Vidic to battle Carroll/Kuyt in the air (if he's fit) and Ferdinand to do the same if he isn't.

I think we'll win and I'd love it if De Gea kept a clean sheet but I just can't see it. Nani/Young will have a blinder, one of them to score a brace :)

Liverpool 1-3 Man United

I think we'll win and I'd love it if De Gea kept a clean sheet but I just can't see it. Nani/Young will have a blinder, one of them to score a brace :)
I reckon enrique will do enough to keep nani quiet for most of the game. Though as much as I love kelly, he'll have a tough game against young.

United Aiming for Revenge Via Wide Men at Anfield

by Paul McKinnon at Wednesday, Oct 12 2011 11:22

2011%2f10%2fKuyt-United.jpg

Saturday lunchtime brings with it one of the most anticipated match-ups of the English domestic season, as Liverpool play host to Man United. Typically fraught with tension, these encounters tend to throw the form book out the window, as shown by last season’s equivalent Anfield fixture where Sir Alex Ferguson’s side were seen off 3-1 thanks to a Dirk Kuyt hat-trick.

Liverpool come into the game buoyed by the fact that Steven Gerrard is poised to make his first start of the season, after fully recovering from a groin strain. United, on the other hand, have Wayne Rooney’s big-game temperament coming into question once again and after his sending off for England last Friday, the Anfield faithful can be expected to ensure a hostile reception for Fergie’s star man. Ahead of the weekend’s glamour tie, WhoScored puts the game under analysis:

Wings The Key

2011%2f10%2fLiverpool-United-Characters.jpg

A look at the WhoScored Team Characters suggests the flanks will play a prominent part in determining Saturday’s showdown. While one of United’s many strengths is “Scoring from wingplay situations”, a weakness of Liverpool’s is “Defending wingplay situations”.

With this in mind, we eye up the key protagonists- Nani and Ashley Young versus Jose Enrique and Martin Kelly. Between the two of them, Nani and Young have played a part in 13 of their side’s 24 goals so far this season. Nani has grabbed 3 goals and 3 assists, while Young has picked up 2 and 5 respectively. Though Wayne Rooney leads the way for key passes (3), the wide areas see United wreak havoc- Young has produced 2.7 key passes, with Nani just behind on 2.6; an indication of United’s reliance on creativity from the flanks.

When it comes to tormenting full-backs with trickery, Nani is far and away the most impressive of the pair- 3.3 successful dribbles per game from the right hand side, with Young recording just 0.7 in comparison. Nani is also top for United when it comes to successful crosses, with 1.6 just pipping Young’s 1.3, and the Portuguese winger is second only to Rooney (6.2) for shots, with 3 to Young’s 2.3. As a result of their displays thus far, the pair are rated fourth and thirteenth in WhoScored’s match ratings for the season, with 7.94 and 7.60 respectively. Perhaps it’s no surprise to see Nani edge it, with 36% of his side’s play coming down the right; 33% comes on Young’s left.

2011%2f10%2fLiv-FB-United-WM.jpg

Liverpool have used Enrique’s left flank 38% of the time, compared to Martin Kelly’s 36% and with the Spaniard prospering going forward, his defensive duties haven’t been too outstanding. He’s made 1.9 tackles and 1.3 interceptions, with Kelly a better ball-winner, 2.5 and 0.5 respectively. Kelly also leads the way for clearances, with 4.3 per game to 1.4, though has won a mere 20% of aerial duels, with Enrique winning 50% in comparison.

As mentioned, it’s Jose Enrique’s attacking stats which have really shone so far- 1.7 key passes is just behind Stewart Downing’s 1.9 and he leads the way for successful dribbles (2), with Luis Suarez next up on 1.7. His 2 assists are also joint-top with Charlie Adam, an indication of his importance going forward and explanation as to why Liverpool can be weak defensively out wide. If he continues his attacking tendencies at Anfield on Saturday, his head-to-head with Nani will be fascinating- United will look to target the space left behind when he bombs forward.

Last Time Round
The 3-1 win for Liverpool last March came about in spite of United’s dominance of the play. The visitors had 58% possession and won 15 tackles to 10, but managed just 3 shots on target all game. Liverpool’s superior cutting edge saw Kuyt grab 3 goals, with the home side managing 6 shots on target from a total of 16.

2011%2f10%2fLiverpool-Match-Analysis-United.jpg

Dalglish’s side targeted the United left flank all game- 51% of their attacks came from this side, with Raul Meireles, up against Ryan Giggs, playing a crucial part. As the player position map shows, Meireles (4) foraged forward time and again, with Luis Suarez (7) drifting out wide, as his movement and trickery caused the visitors problems throughout. Glen Johnson (2) was an able supporter from right-back, with Maxi Rodriguez (17) tucking in on the left of midfield and assisting his side from a more central position.

The central midfield area proved crucial; Paul Scholes and Michael Carrick had 85 and 100 touches each, the most of United’s side, with Scholes hitting 14 long balls as United looked to break with speed. Steven Gerrard and Lucas, the Liverpool central midfield pairing, also saw more of the ball than any team mate and with 4 and 7 tackles respectively, their ball-winning was key to their side’s resistance. Scholes and Carrick, on the other hand, managed just 4 tackles between them, with Patrice Evra making 6- an indication of just how tough a shift he had at left-back.

Despite United using Nani’s right flank 39% of the time, he was ineffectual- no shots, key passes or dribbles were indicative of a woefully disappointing performance and he has much to make up for this time round. Suarez, on the other hand, dazzled throughout the game- 7 successful dribbles ripped United apart and they had little answer but to foul the Uruguayan 6 times. For United, Rooney and Berbatov up front disappointed, losing possession 6 and 4 times respectively, with just 2 shots on target between them.

It’s a sign of how quickly personnel has changed in both sides that, of the above-mentioned players, only Suarez, Gerrard and Lucas are likely starters for Liverpool, with Johnson still recovering from a hamstring strain. United will still have Rooney and Nani as part of the first XI, though Fergie may opt for the experience of Giggs once again. Regardless of tactics or new faces, however, one thing’s for certain- this clash of the titans will prove to be a frantic and fascinating showdown, as always.

I reckon enrique will do enough to keep nani quiet for most of the game. Though as much as I love kelly, he'll have a tough game against young.

I think Enrique will have a tough time keeping Nani quiet tbh. Nani's in fantastic form and although Enrique has had a great start to the season he hasn't really come up against any top class wingers. Plus the fact that Nani and Young are both equally capable on both flanks means they can chop and change against the full-backs, something we couldn't do last year with Valencia and Nani as the wingers.

And if things go wrong for Liverpool, they can rely on Suarez to "conjure" something up. If you get my meaning. (6)

no not bitter or anything. much.

The wingers are likely to switch during the game, Kelly is in for a tough game all the way through, Enrique less so. But anything less than near blinders from them will likely give us the advantage

Hoping for a United win, but I'm predicting Liverpool 2 - 1 Manchester United.

Prove me wrong.

Nani will be the key player for us. He can change game on his own with moment of brilliance like the goal against Stoke and Chelsea. But Enrique is very tough LB to beat, so I think Nani will drift centrally many times in the game.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Rafa is trying to spice up the derby by claiming Sir Alex Ferguson's success was all down to money.

Rafa Benitez: Sir Alex Ferguson's Man Utd success down to money - ESPN Soccernet

As usual.

United money is down to SAF's success.

Status
Not open for further replies.