Lynx adverts - TOO 'raunchy'...

W4FC B3N

Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15849142
(
I put raunchy as the title because my browser won't let me re-open it if it contains the word '***'. Stupid work internetz!)

'Offensive' Lynx adverts banned by advertising watchdog
_51212676_asacomp.jpg

The banned adverts included five internet-based adverts and one poster

Six adverts for Lynx men's toiletries have been banned in their current form by the advertising watchdog after attracting more than 100 complaints.

The Advertising Standards Authority concluded that the five internet adverts and a poster "were likely to cause serious or widespread offence".

Many complainants said an ad for Lynx shower gel was sexually suggestive.

Lynx manufacturer Unilever said its adverts provoked diverse reactions and it had not intended to cause offence.

The adverts were circulated during the summer.

'Demeaning'
The poster for Lynx shower gel showed a woman in a bikini under a shower at a beach, with the headline: "The cleaner you are the dirtier you get."

The 113 complainants said it was sexually suggestive, demeaning to women, and inappropriate for public display because it could be seen by children. Some of the complainants reported they had seen the poster near schools.

In its adjudication, the ASA concluded the poster was "likely to be considered offensive by many members of the public, particularly those who were accompanied by children".

But the ASA said two TV ads in the campaign, featuring a group of women in bikinis, were unlikely to cause offence because they had timing restrictions to protect children.

Five internet adverts for Lynx Dry Full Control deodorant, which featured model Lucy Pinder, attracted 15 complaints.

The adverts, shown on sites including Yahoo, Hotmail and Spotify, showed Ms Pinder eating an ice lolly, stripping wallpaper or bending over an oven door.

Now who the **** is complaining about these!? I'm betting it is a handful (113) of people who sit next to their phones, watching the T.V. just so they can complain about something for a tiny bit of attention.

Last edited:
Everybody knows that 1 person who complains is actually like 1,000,000 people who are offended by it (the other 999,999 are too offended to complain) so that's like 113,000,000 people who were offended by it! Can't argue with the facts there mate. (;

More importantly, you are just as bad as these losers waiting by the phone to complain. I mean, you're complaining about them complaining, which is probably worse.. Why do you even care about a Lynx advert? Unless you work for Lynx and have recently lost your job because the advert you produced was too 'raunchy', then I can understand your frustration.

[video=youtube;cycXuYzmzNg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cycXuYzmzNg[/video]

Everyone has the right to be offend, no one has the right to not be offended.

To be honest, I don't see why they would offend - but then, I haven't watched them so can't really judge.

I'm pretty sure that Lynx should be allowed to use some sexual scenes in their adverts, that is what most brands do to advertise their products (as in, get some beautiful models to advertise it for them). But personally I don't think these things should be on TV for everyone to view, even at night time 'adult' TV, because these sort of things will mess with children's minds.

[video=youtube;_7KE5iQFE0E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7KE5iQFE0E[/video]

I am offended!