Making Money From Youtube? - Music

Kylo

MAAAATTT DAMMOONNNNNN
Reaction score
Fellow managers, been ages since I've posted but I'm still here!

So basically, some of you know that I used to remix music from big name artists i.e Tinie Tempah, Eminem etc, and I got good feedback on my mixes but stopped because the software I was using annoyed me so much, aswell as me being so busy with my GCSEs. Well I've decided I'm going to start remixing again, but take a different approach, I'm going to make some calm(ish) dubs and dubsteps from quite peaceful songs, I think those kind of dubsteps and remixes sound amazing, see the likes of this for an example of how I want my work to turn out:

[video=youtube;ASqTw6PjV9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ASqTw6PjV9I[/video]

I'm hoping to remix a load of songs, such as Mad World, Mazzy Star's Into Dust etc. HOWEVER. You'll notice these are popular songs, and are copyright covered. I was hoping to make a new channel for my remixs and hopefully get it partnered around youtube, and get advertisement and make some money from youtube itself, as I know I could pull in a load of views, as I only made say, 4 songs on my old channel, and had close to 80,000 views, which is quite considerable in my opinion. So just a quick question, do any of you know how I should approach getting a copyright license or permission from record lables that own Gary Jules' - Mad World etc, so I could still get money from my remixes? Or should I just remix as a hobby and not have to worry about copyright?

Let me know your thoughts please guys, I'm very interested in using youtube as my primary job!

Thanks,
Kylo.

Good luck, wish you all the best, but, not for me.

Dubstep is cool, but tiring. Plus, it is the new pop.

You will have to pay royalties to gain access to the rights to it. More popular songs will have higher royalty costs than others. I would focus on just doing it as a hobby for now and then once your fan base stabilises you can proceed to get royalties. :)

You will have to pay royalties to gain access to the rights to it. More popular songs will have higher royalty costs than others. I would focus on just doing it as a hobby for now and then once your fan base stabilises you can proceed to get royalties. :)
Agree with this. Else you're gonna get sued :D

Just change one note in the song and Whala! It's not copyright, just VERY similar.