Making the most of how little you have...

W4FC B3N

Reaction score
I was just having a talk with my mate then and we got to the subject of Wigan.. Specifically;

Could Mourinho/Sir Alex/Mancini/Villas Boas, finish in the top 10 if they were the manager of Wigan? Using exactly the same players that Martinez has. The reason we are talking about this is, basically, I don't want him managing my club right at this very moment and I can't see that changing over the next couple of months because I don't know where we will be getting out next set of points from. I suppose it could go for any team wallowing at the bottom of any league really, could a top, top manager take a very small team to the top with limited resources?

Are Wigan destined to be bottom of the League or do we have the quality that another manager would be able to utilize in order to save us from relegation?

AVB did a good job with Academia who by far had a team filled with less quality than Wigan, he saved them from relegation and took them to a cup semi-finals... maybe if he stayed longer then in all probability, he could have reached greater heights with them

Mourinho took Leiria to their highest ever league place of 5th in one season

SAF took Aberdeen to the league title which incidentally was the first time anyone in fifteen years managed to break the Celtic-Rangers stranglehold on the title

So yes I dont see any reason why any top-class manager cant do a better job with Wigan... they are managing top clubs and have all this money to spend for a reason, most of them have worked their way up and/or have proven themselves in one capacity or another

If you give them few seasons then they will gradually improve the team and can end up finishing at around mid table, but with this squad I dont see any manager achieving that.

Success is relative to expectations. They may not turn Wigan into title challengers, but they'd be successful and improve their fortunes. As Alcaraz said, they didn't magically get to manage the top clubs - they earned the right.