sunilvk7

SAF greatest ever.
Reaction score
ManchestervsChelsea.png

Date: 18th Sep 2011
KO 16:00
Ground: Old Trafford

Match Preview:

Andre Villas-Boas faces the sternest test of his Chelsea reign to date with a trip to Old Trafford on Sunday to face a rampant Manchester United.

United and Chelsea
spacer.gif
have been the dominant forces in English football over the past decade but have never been prepared to stand still and there is a freshness about both sides at the start of the new campaign.
While the Blues recruited a manager and several players over the summer, Sir Alex Ferguson has also begun to build another exciting team at Old Trafford
spacer.gif
with the injection of some new blood.

The foundations were already in place at United but Ferguson will have been overjoyed with the way in which the latest batch of youngsters has been integrated during the early part of the season.
The Red Devils have been in astonishing form in the Premier League so far, not only claiming maximum points from their opening four games but also scoring 18 goals in the process.

Wayne Rooney
spacer.gif
has grabbed eight of those, including back-to-back hat-tricks, and he will make history if he repeats the feat this weekend by becoming the first player to net a treble in three consecutive Premier League games.
Keeping Rooney in the side is one of the easier selection decisions facing Ferguson ahead of the visit of the Blues, who the manager admits will provide a tough challenge.

Ferguson changed his team in midweek for the UEFA Champions League clash with Benfica as he opted for a more experienced line-up away from home in Europe.
Having returned from Portugal with a creditable 1-1 draw, the United boss is now considering how many players to recall that were rested on Wednesday.

David de Gea is expected to come back in between the posts despite Anders Lindegaard's assured performance against Benfica, while Ryan Giggs could also start and Rio Ferdinand is likely to return.

Javier Hernandez, Ashley Young, Nani and Anderson are also in contention to come back in, although the likes of Darren Fletcher, Park Ji-sung and Antonio Valencia will all be hoping to stay in the side.

Ferguson has reported no fresh injury concerns, leaving Nemanja Vidic (calf), Tom Cleverley (foot) and Rafael (shoulder) on the sidelines, whilst Danny Welbeck (hamstring) is not expected to be available until next week.

Chelsea news

Chelsea may not have received the same plaudits as United, or indeed Manchester City, during the first few weeks of the season but Villas-Boas has nevertheless made a quietly impressive start to life in English football.
A goalless draw at Stoke on the opening day has been followed by three straight wins in the Premier League, and the Blues can climb above United by winning at Old Trafford.

Chelsea also managed to kick off their Champions League campaign with a 2-0 victory over Bayer Leverkusen in Group E, as Villas-Boas looks to deliver the European glory that has proved so elusive for previous managers at Stamford Bridge.
Villas-Boas arrived in London with a reputation as perhaps the most promising young tactician in world football and, while there has been little to criticise so far, his tactics are sure to come under scrutiny on Sunday as he engages in a battle of wits with the master Ferguson.
The Portuguese has made it clear that he is not afraid to drop players whatever their status, leaving out Fernando Torres for the game against Sunderland last week before recalling him to face Leverkusen.

An internal investigation into comments made by Torres, when he allegedly branded his 'older' team-mates as 'very slow' has been declared officially closed but the Spanish striker may still be omitted in favour of Daniel Sturridge and Nicolas Anelka.
Didier Drogba had hoped to recover in time from a sickening head injury that caused him concussion in the 3-1 victory over Norwich on 27th August, but will not now be risked.

David Luiz marked his first appearance of the season against Leverkusen with a goal and is likely to stay in the side alongside skipper John Terry, who was rested on Tuesday.

Branislav Ivanovic could therefore be the unlucky player to miss out, unless Villas-Boas decides to play the Serbian at right-back instead of Jose Bosingwa.

Ramires is also available again following a European suspension, but Michael Essien is a long-term absentee following knee surgery.
Possible starting XIs

Manchester United: De Gea, Smalling, Jones, Ferdinand, Evra, Nani, Anderson, Giggs, Young, Rooney, Hernandez.
Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Terry, Luiz, Cole, Mata, Lampard, Ramires, Meireles, Anelka, Sturridge.

Opta stats: The last three Premier League meetings between Chelsea and Man Utd all ended 2-1 as did the last meeting in the Champions League.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

• Manchester United ended a run of three successive league defeats to Chelsea when they beat the Blues 2-1 at Old Trafford in May.

• In 38 Premier League meetings, Chelsea have the upper hand with 13 wins to Manchester United's 11.

• Chelsea have only managed one clean sheet in their last 16 league trips to Old Trafford.
  • This will be the 162nd meeting between the sides. Manchester United have won 70, Chelsea 44 and there have been 47 draws.
Manchester United

• Manchester United's 18 goals after four matches is the most by any club at this stage of a top-flight season in 64 years since Wolves (20 goals) in 1947-48.
  • There have been 94 goals scored in the league this season - 33 of those have been scored by Manchester Utd and Manchester City combined (35%).
  • Wayne Rooney has scored eight league goals this season - it took him until 2 April last season to reach the same milestone.
  • United have scored in their last 32 consecutive matches at Old Trafford in the league, winning 30 and losing just one of those matches. The solitary defeat was against Chelsea in April 2010.
Chelsea

• At this stage of last season Chelsea had scored 15 goals in four matches (6-0, 6-0, 2-0 and 3-1).

• The Blues have only kept one clean sheet in their last eight league games.

• Chelsea had 19 shots at Sunderland on Saturday but only five were on target.

My take: Our home form has been excellent and scoring for fun. But expecting much tighter game against Chelsea. Rooney's form will be key for us, with Anderson coming back our game will be much faster and with much more short passes. Hoping for exciting game.

Prediction: Hard fought 2-0.

Last edited:
Fully expecting a loss tbh... we are still a work in progress and we are still gelling while Manchester United have really come out of the blocks flying and are in a really good vein of form, if this match was happening in the end of October then I would have been optimistic but David Luiz has just returned from injury, we dont have drogba for the game and what not and we are playing at OT

Think it will be 2-0 to Manchester United

I hate you Sunil -_-

Anyway. 2-0 United. Rooney and Hernandez to score. The injection of pace back into the team will be a massive boost IMO as we saw how we struggled last night with the lack of forward movement. I expect Rio to start at CB with Jones, Smalling RB and Evra LB.

I hate you Sunil -_-

Anyway. 2-0 United. Rooney and Hernandez to score. The injection of pace back into the team will be a massive boost IMO as we saw how we struggled last night with the lack of forward movement. I expect Rio to start at CB with Jones, Smalling RB and Evra LB.

Could have told no, I would have waited for you to start one.

Could have told no, I would have waited for you to start one.

Nah I'm just playing bud. Was planning on making one, but you got there first. The only time I didn't plan on making one was last night - then you didn't make one either so I just used my Match Preview from my blog to start one up lol..

But yeah, should be a good game definitely. We'll have to watch Mata closely. Not too worried about Sturridge tbh, reckon we should be able to handle him.

I'm going to go for a 1-1 draw.

United have been pretty electric so far this season (last night excepted) but I think Chelsea could give them a lot of difficulty, especially if they play Smalling at right back. Evra should be able to keep Sturridge/Anelka quiet but I think Mata will cause some serious problems on the left.

If both teams are on the top of their games, United should win 2/3-1 but if it's the nervous, cagey affair it looks likely to be then I can see a draw, with United edging the game but unable to get the second goal.

Going with 3-0 Utd like I mentioned in some other thread. If Ferdinand is back, it gives SAF an interesting headache over his defensive choices. Should be a good game. :D

3-1 Utd.

EITHER - Chelsea score first - fairly early, Utd turn it on and end up dominating...

OR - Utd go 2-0 up, Chelsea get one back and Utd hit them on the counter late on to wrap it up.

Torres (!) / Rooney, Nani, Hernandez (or Rooney x2) - Young to get at least 1 assist. ;)

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Going with 3-0 Utd like I mentioned in some other thread. If Ferdinand is back, it gives SAF an interesting headache over his defensive choices. Should be a good game. :D

Does it? Evans is ****...

I'm so glad our toughest game of the season has come very early and isn't at a crucial title deciding point of the season like it has been the previous two seasons. Will be happy to see Chelsea take a point from this and seeing as nobody has yet predicted a Chelsea win I'm going to predict 1-2 Mata and Anelka to get the goals for Chelsea.

I think it'll will be a comfortable 2-0 United with chelsea getting a few chances here and there. The midfield will be key as Ando will have to step up with Cleverley gone. Carrick and Fletcher do worry me after last night but hopefully they bring a different kind of game with Anderson beside either of them

Expecting a United win, but not a clean sheet.

Manchester United 2 - 1 Chelsea, perhaps 3 - 1 if Hernandez and Rooney start ahead of Berbatov.

3-1 Utd.

EITHER - Chelsea score first - fairly early, Utd turn it on and end up dominating...

OR - Utd go 2-0 up, Chelsea get one back and Utd hit them on the counter late on to wrap it up.

Torres (!) / Rooney, Nani, Hernandez (or Rooney x2) - Young to get at least 1 assist. ;)

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Does it? Evans is ****...

He isnt.. but it doesnt really give him a headache

This game cvould turn out to be a shock for utd. Remember Chelsea last season? 100% record, scoring goals for fun and then we had our first test of the season against City and we lost then look how the season went for Chelsea.

3-1 United.

Rooney, Hernandez & Smalling. Mata to score for Chelsea.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

This game cvould turn out to be a shock for utd. Remember Chelsea last season? 100% record, scoring goals for fun and then we had our first test of the season against City and we lost then look how the season went for Chelsea.

Mentally, we're alot stronger than Chelsea. If our 100% record is going to end before the month is out then it'll be away at Stoke. I can't see us losing at home all season tbh.

I thought that too last season. I was so confident after Chelseas great start I thought we would run away with the league infact I was too confident and I could not take it when Chelsea hit their really bad form. We lost to clubs such as Birmingham and wolves who we really should be beating. Chelsea have a much better chance of winning on Sunday then a lot of people think.

Im cagey on the precise prediction but I'm bullish on my semi generic prediction, Chelsea will not lose.

If you stuck a hot poker to my eye and forced me to give numbers I would say 1-1, possibly 1-2 and Torres to win the game.

Im cagey on the precise prediction but I'm bullish on my semi generic prediction, Chelsea will not lose.

If you stuck a hot poker to my eye and forced me to give numbers I would say 1-1, possibly 1-2 and Torres to win the game.

I take your word for nothing anymore - "Strawberry Sally".. ;)

2-1 to United, I think. Rooney, Young, and Torres. It'll be a close one.

Curtis made a similar, such bold prediction about the UCL final. :(

Did you not learn about making specific predictions from last time, strawbz?