Manchester United Vs Manchester City | 23rd Oct | Old Trafford

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunilvk7

SAF greatest ever.
Reaction score
Manchester-United-Vs-Manchester-City.jpg

Old Trafford provides the setting for a titanic clash on Sunday with top spot in the Premier League and Manchester bragging rights up for grabs.

Both sides have played some exhilarating football during the early part of the season and are unbeaten in their opening eight league games going into one of the most eagerly-awaited derbies in years.

They have already met once this term, of course, with United coming from behind to prevail 3-2 in the Community Shield at Wembley back in August.
While it is hard to draw too many conclusions from that game about what can be expected this weekend, hopes are high that it will be a similarly thrilling affair full of attacking endeavour.

City and United have scored more than 50 goals between them in the Premier League already and have been setting the pace in the title race from the very start.
It is Roberto Mancini's men who currently hold a two-point lead after taking advantage of United's 1-1 draw with Liverpool
spacer.gif
last Saturday to beat Aston Villa 4-1.

A trip to the red half of Manchester represents their stiffest challenge so far, even if there have been confident noises coming out of the City camp this week and defender Micah Richards says it is United who are 'frightened'.
Sir Alex Ferguson insists he is ready for the challenge, calling the match a 'six-pointer', and the Red Devils have such a formidable record at home they will fancy their chances of returning to the top of the table by 3.30pm on Sunday afternoon.

United have dropped just two points in their last 25 games at Old Trafford,
spacer.gif
with those coming against West Brom last season after United had given themselves a two-goal lead.

Team news

Ferguson can be expected to name his strongest available line-up for the visit of City after carefully managing his players through the past couple of games.

Wayne Rooney returned to the starting XI against Otelul Galati in the UEFA Champions League after being surprisingly named on the substitutes' bench at Anfield, and will be relishing the chance to shine again on Sunday following his spectacular late winner in last season's corresponding fixture.

Brazilian defender Rafael (shoulder) remain sidelined but Ferguson has no fresh fitness worries and faces some tough selection decisions.
Nemanja Vidic came back into the side for the win over Galati and is set to start despite being sent off in Europe, while Rio Ferdinand missed the trip to Romania to save him for the derby.

Manchester City stayed at home in midweek as they claimed a vital 2-1 victory over Villarreal to keep alive their hopes of advancing to the last 16 of the Champions League.
Sergio Aguero stepped off the substitutes' bench to score the last-gasp winner and is likely to start at Old Trafford after recovering from a groin injury.

Mario Balotelli comes back into contention following his European suspension and will hope to partner Aguero up front after impressing against Villa.

Edin Dzeko is another attacking option, although Carlos Tevez is not expected to play any part against his former club after attending a club disciplinary hearing over Mancini's allegation that he refused to come on at Bayern Munich, which the player denies.

Mancini has been very positive in his approach this term and has made it clear he wants to win against United, so City are unlikely to tinker too much with a successful formula and they have no major injury worries.
Gael Clichy may replace Aleksandar Kolarov at left-back and Richards could come in for Pablo Zabaleta on the opposite flank if Mancini decides to freshen things up.

Opta stats: There have been five 90th minute or later goals scored in the last eight matches in all competitions between City and United, three of them to win the match for United.

Trivia: City last went into the Manchester derby ahead of United in the table in August 2007, when Sir Alex Ferguson's men drew with Reading and Portsmouth in their opening two games. City won the derby 1-0 courtesy of a deflected Geovanni goal, but United won the title and the Champions League that season.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• United have won 66 of the 159 matches between the clubs since they first met in the old Division Two in 1894. City have 43 victories, with 50 draws.
  • Manchester City have only won once at Old Trafford since 1974 - a 2-1 victory for Sven-Goran Eriksson's side in 2008.
  • United have scored 50 goals in 28 Premier League matches between the two clubs. City have scored 28 in that time.
  • There have been a total of five red cards in this fixture in the Premier League era - Cristiano Ronaldo (two), Roy Keane, Alan Smith and Bernardo Corradi.
  • The last hat-trick in this fixture came from Andrei Kanchelskis in a 5-0 victory in 1994; United's biggest home win over City.
Manchester United

• United are unbeaten in their last 25 Premier League home matches, winning the last 19. This is the club's longest-ever run of top-flight home victories. They have now gone 37 games at Old Trafford without defeat in any competition.
  • Wayne Rooney has scored five league goals in Manchester derby matches - the equal-second highest scorer in the fixture during the Premier League era with Paul Scholes (five). Only Eric Cantona (seven) has scored more.
  • United have scored in all of their 13 league and cup matches so far this season - notching 37 goals along the way - and have now scored in their past 17 games.
Manchester City

• They have scored 14 goals in four Premier League away games this season; an average of 3.5 goals per game.
  • City failed to win in all four Premier League visits to so-called 'Big Four' clubs last season (United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool).
  • Samir Nasri has provided seven league assists this season - more than any other player in the division - and previously scored both goals in Arsenal's 2-1 home win against Manchester United in November 2008.

Biggest Manchester derby in many years with both teams fighting for title and heading to the match occupying first two positions. Full squad is available for both teams bar one or two players. Rooney and Nani will be key for us as both have the ability to produce moment of brilliance. We need Anderson and Carrick on their top form to battle with City's midfield.

Going for 2-0 home win.

Last edited:
I'd like to see City win this for a change, but I can't look past United at Old Trafford.

Manchester United 2 - 1 Manchester City.

5-4 please to one of the them

Want a epic game.

My heart says that we (City) will win 5-0, my head says that United will win 3-2 but I just want a good game as a spectator. My nerves will be all over the place, as usual, though, when the game kicks off. United are a good team and I respect them as opponents but I just can't wait to trash them with our brilliant new strikeforce, although I doubt Edin Dzeko will start. Edin Dzeko is currently one of my favourite players, he's a brilliant team player and looks like he wants to play for us. I think it'll be the best derby yet, though, between us and United - and I'm not exaggerating or anything!

I'm going 3-2 to City, liability Lescott to cost City a goal and the other will be a piece of brilliance.

City's goals will probably come from (pure guesswork here) a set piece, a low cross stuck away and a one on one.

The stat about United conceding the most shots can be misinterpreted as goal scoring chances shots when in reality a lot of their shots conceded have been long range shots mostly to test out De Gea. I back De Gea to push away whatever long shots City throw at him, and a large portion of City's goals have come from outside of the 18 yard box shots, so that should dampen somewhat City's attack.

I do think United's defence, even with Vidic back, is volatile simply because of the style of football United play. But likewise Lescott is a huge liability and Kolo Toure lacking any sort of match fitness more so.

Unless Mancini throws a curve ball and goes with Savic/Kompany (Which I would do personally) then City are just as 'get-at-able'.

I would go with Nasri simply because he can retain the ball and that's going to be the major area at Old Trafford for City, Balotelli would be my choice up front especially given his display vs United in the FA Cup semi final which I personally thought was excellent.

I can't answer what has happened to Dzeko to make him revert into his shell, his confidence seems shot and I'm guessing pulling him out of the starting lineup after he scored 4 goals and putting him in and out may have some effect. He will probably stick with Dzeko because he has faith in him, especially in big games.

Fletcher will be key to United and De Jong key to City, but what's new there.

I'm going 3-2 to City, liability Lescott to cost City a goal and the other will be a piece of brilliance.

City's goals will probably come from (pure guesswork here) a set piece, a low cross stuck away and a one on one.

The stat about United conceding the most shots can be misinterpreted as goal scoring chances shots when in reality a lot of their shots conceded have been long range shots mostly to test out De Gea. I back De Gea to push away whatever long shots City throw at him, and a large portion of City's goals have come from outside of the 18 yard box shots, so that should dampen somewhat City's attack.

I do think United's defence, even with Vidic back, is volatile simply because of the style of football United play. But likewise Lescott is a huge liability and Kolo Toure lacking any sort of match fitness more so.

Unless Mancini throws a curve ball and goes with Savic/Kompany (Which I would do personally) then City are just as 'get-at-able'.

I would go with Nasri simply because he can retain the ball and that's going to be the major area at Old Trafford for City, Balotelli would be my choice up front especially given his display vs United in the FA Cup semi final which I personally thought was excellent.

I can't answer what has happened to Dzeko to make him revert into his shell, his confidence seems shot and I'm guessing pulling him out of the starting lineup after he scored 4 goals and putting him in and out may have some effect. He will probably stick with Dzeko because he has faith in him, especially in big games.

Fletcher will be key to United and De Jong key to City, but what's new there.

The thing about De Gea is that the shot spread is 50-50 long and close. And despite the huge number of saves he has had to make compared to hart, they have both conceded the same amount. He's actually very hard to beat, despite what pundits say. City will need to be very clinical if they want to take the game.

Style of game/scoreline will come down to how Mancini wants to play it.

I agree Mike, I'm not going to 'tot up' the mistakes this season of Hart and De Gea but both have made some undeniably. I'm sure if you looked at the mistakes Hart has made for England/City so far they would add up to more goal conceding errors than De Gea.

Both teams are open, the question before kick off will be will Sir Alex pack up the midfield with runners like Park/Fletcher/Anderson/Valencia who will give 100% in defence and in attack along with Nani in the midfield or Chicharito up front or will he stick with Rooney/Chicharito with Young/Nani wide.

If both managers, including Mancini, go for this it could be anyones game and analyzing parts of the pitch will almost because useless because both sides will want to retain/hunt for the ball and that should make for a high line - open - game of football. It should resemble the Chelsea game but obviously City are in more of a 'groove' than Chelsea at the moment.

The amount of game-changers on either side from Rooney/Chicharito to Aguero/Nasri just makes this game pretty simple for both teams: retain the ball and be clinical. Whoever does that best will win the game.

I agree Mike, I'm not going to 'tot up' the mistakes this season of Hart and De Gea but both have made some undeniably. I'm sure if you looked at the mistakes Hart has made for England/City so far they would add up to more goal conceding errors than De Gea.

Both teams are open, the question before kick off will be will Sir Alex pack up the midfield with runners like Park/Fletcher/Anderson/Valencia who will give 100% in defence and in attack along with Nani in the midfield or Chicharito up front or will he stick with Rooney/Chicharito with Young/Nani wide.

If both managers, including Mancini, go for this it could be anyones game and analyzing parts of the pitch will almost because useless because both sides will want to retain/hunt for the ball and that should make for a high line - open - game of football. It should resemble the Chelsea game but obviously City are in more of a 'groove' than Chelsea at the moment.

The amount of game-changers on either side from Rooney/Chicharito to Aguero/Nasri just makes this game pretty simple for both teams: retain the ball and be clinical. Whoever does that best will win the game.

Pretty much this, would prefer cleverley along side Fletcher in a 4-2-3-1, to cause De jong problems even from deep when in possession (as he will obviously be marking Rooney) I would start both Young and Nani, get Kolarov pinned back becuase he is far better forwards that defensively. And it will force Nasri to track back, becuase Nani will eat him alive 1 on 1.

Any plans for Yaya Toure?

He has to be one of the hardest players in world football to set a game plan to, he was the major difference in the FA Cup game.

The only United player I can see really having a good go at dispossessing him is Fletcher with Vidic attempting it if it comes to it.

I mean the guy is just unstoppable, Fergie needs to set some kind of plan for him. I would argue Toure is just as important as Silva because what Yaya does so well is break lines and commit people which frees up Silva and opens up the middle of the park.

Real danger man and resident pain in the backside for United, interesting to see what plan is in place to try and stop him galloping.

Any plans for Yaya Toure?

He has to be one of the hardest players in world football to set a game plan to, he was the major difference in the FA Cup game.

The only United player I can see really having a good go at dispossessing him is Fletcher with Vidic attempting it if it comes to it.

I mean the guy is just unstoppable, Fergie needs to set some kind of plan for him. I would argue Toure is just as important as Silva because what Yaya does so well is break lines and commit people which frees up Silva and opens up the middle of the park.

Real danger man and resident pain in the backside for United, interesting to see what plan is in place to try and stop him galloping.

Close him down from deep. He isnt that hard to stop, just many teams dont seem to attempt to stop him getting to speed early Admittedly it requires a physically strong player but still. I'd have Rooney moving on to him, force him to pass back to de jong

And it was all going so well, Mario.. I guess his good headline/bad headline ratio had got too high for him.

Let's hope he can carry his explosive form onto the pitch!

Eh?!

EH?!

Balotelli is awesome, he's playing well on the pitch, and a livewire off it.

I think he said yesterday it's because he doesn't go out as much and stays in with his girlfriend playing games consoles and watching romantic films.

But on the same day he said he couldn't play properly last season because of a knee injury, then to an Italian station he blamed it on his diet and later claimed his recent burst of form was down to his mothers cooking.

Whatever it is, he seems more controlled...

On the bright side it could be worse, he could have been English and let off an air rifle that would have been 'controversial'...

A strange thing I find is when Balotelli does well (Like now) everyone in Italy hates him and no one wants him, like DeLa last week claiming Hamsik is '100 times the player with 100 times the better attitude' yet when Balotelli was struggling last season literally everybody in Italy wanted him.

He plays up, but everyone else just spurs on his pantomime.

I think he would do a better job than Dzeko tomorrow I have to say.

Even more off topic note: ''Mario Balotelli is organizing this years Club Christmas party which will be attended by club staff and academy players along with senior players.''

I can only imagine what sort of stuff will go on, we could start a thread with the suggestions as to what sort of things Balotelli will throw into the party and still probably not come close.

Status
Not open for further replies.