Ferbian

Reaction score
So I decided to pick up where I left off in 2013, wanting to turn Real Madrid back into the dominant force of Europe. In 2013 it worked perfectly fine and all, but I cannot seem to wrap my head around playing Real Madrid properly in 2014.

Currently I'm 2nd in the league, that's no biggie, though whenever I tend to encounter a game that I could actually have somewhat of a struggle against, my entire team backfires into utter failure. I've also struggled with last minute winners against teams like Levante, Real Betis, Elche. So obviously there must be something wrong.

Currently I'm alternating tactics occasionally. Either I play the same tactic from 2013 which is an offensive balanced playing style, and the instructions I had back then were "Be more expressive" and then under the shouts / instructions before every game, I included "Retain possession" and passing into open spaces. Now this seems to work okay'ish against some teams, where others it completely backfires.
My other tactic that I've played with is a counter attacking fluid style, with the instructions of Go route one, Pass into open space, higher tempo and be more expressive. This also seems to work, sometimes, but rather rarely.

My player setup is the following: I play a 4-2-3-1 with 2 wingback supporters, 2 central defending stoppers, 2 central midfielders (A regular central midfielder - support, and an advanced playmaker - support). My attacking midfielders consists of one inside forward AML (Ronaldo of course), an alternating enganche / shadow striker AMC (Isco is enganche, Jese for example is a shadow striker) and an alternating advanced playmaker / winger AMR for Di Maria and Bale. Up top I play either Suarez or Benzema as a complete forward.

I have no idea where I may or may not be going wrong, but I would love if someone could figure out how I can assert the same dominance and easy steamrolling I had in 2013?

Real Madrid

I am also using Real Madrid, for now with the BETA. I really like Bale, so I wanted to try him out. So first, I must point out, I am not very experienced with FM. I just started last year with FM 13. I have loads of questions, and I do a ton of research. (probably why I really like this game.) so, with that being said, I use 4-2-3-1 and 4-1DM-2-2-1. My third tactic is something off the wall. My favorite is 4-2-3-1, but seems the one with the DM (set to anchor), is effective. Alonso plays anchor for me well. So far, this season, I am 10 wins, 1 tie and 1 loss. I have not rage quit and reloaded either, so I am proud of myself. In the beginning of the season, we were a hit or miss. Now that the tactics are coming into focus, it seems we are shaping up. I tied Barcelona 2-2. My main issue is my defense breaks down quick. The oppositions can do through balls that would make a FIFA 14 player proud.
with 4-2-3-1, I play Benzema as an AF(attack) or Morata when Benzema is tired, which seems like every other game. I told him his bed time was 9pm, but he ignores me. I play Ronaldo on the left side as an Inside forward set to attack. Bale and Di Maria play Wing on the right set to support. ISCO plays as an Advance playmaker set to Support. I rotate the standard line-up for my 2 x Center Mids. I play one defensive and one either automatic or support. I use 2 x Fullbacks and 2 x Center Backs. One center back will be a stopper and the other on defense. Both of my fullbacks are set to support.
I play 4-2-3-1 as fluid and attacking. I either use retain possession, short passing, hassel opponents and tighter marking or I use direct passing, hassel opponents and tighter marking. After this initial setting, I let my assistant make recommendations in the game. On the other hand, 4-1DM-2-2-1 with short passing, retain possession, hassel opponents, tighter marking, quick tempo, CONTROL and FLUID or VERY FLUID seems to really work well. I use the scout report and hope one of their weak formations is one of mine. Otherwise, I tend to use 4-2-3-1 at home. What amazes me is, I picked Real Madrid because of Ronaldo and Bale. These are 2 of my favorite players. Ronaldo has 8 goals in 9 appearances. Bale only has 1 goal in 7 appearances. I really imagined seeing Bale score alot. He is my free kick taker and so far I have seen no goals off free kicks. Not even the Computer scores on free kicks. in FM 13, free kicks were deadly. If I got a dollar for every time I hit the cross bar, I would be rich now. so anyway, I hope some of this provides helpful.