CommandoRick

Reaction score
Is anyone else out there playing in the MLS? I've found that, for me, its the hardest professional league to play in. All of the rules and restrictions, as well as a packed game schedule make it a unique experience as well. The trade off is of course no major international competitions, but if you're looking for a new challenge, or just to start a 2nd save, its worth a look. (By the way, there's no bias because I'm American, because i hate the MLS in real life :D)

So is anyone playing in the MLS right now? Any tactics or players to share?

Is anyone else out there playing in the MLS? I've found that, for me, its the hardest professional league to play in. All of the rules and restrictions, as well as a packed game schedule make it a unique experience as well. The trade off is of course no major international competitions, but if you're looking for a new challenge, or just to start a 2nd save, its worth a look. (By the way, there's no bias because I'm American, because i hate the MLS in real life :D)

So is anyone playing in the MLS right now? Any tactics or players to share?

Haha, i guess this is to be expected, this being a UK forum and all, but still, youre missing out if you dont at least try it out

I was thinking of giving it a go but just never got round to it. Is it really worth trying?

I was thinking of giving it a go but just never got round to it. Is it really worth trying?

I think so. the rules take a bit of trial and error to figure out, but the thing i like is that the focus is mostly on tactics and trying to win with what youve got. most of your transfers will have to be free transfers or youngsters. the salary cap really is an interesting challenge to try to work around. is it better to have a big squad or a smaller more talented one?

id say try it out at least

Think i will give it a bash, ive been looking for a new challenge ever since i got sacked on my southampton game so theres no harm in trying. What team would you recommend?

I cba to try really, after all, I hate the MLS

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

no offence to you CommandoRick

I cba to try really, after all, I hate the MLS

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

no offence to you CommandoRick

its fair, i hate it too in real life, i refuse to even watch it, even though its the only televised version of the sport here in the states. in the game though, its really pretty entertaining.

i started a few days ago in the mls it really is a new challange and it more fun then i thought , yeh the transfer budget that u get is worthless so look for some great free tranfers there are alot out there . but the player trading is where u will get alot of good players and if you do it good i wont cost you alot too. but keep the drafts in mind you get some nice players there too

MLS i actually really great fun. I've started one with the Galaxy (lol american commentators are terrible) and its a good challenge although the rules are quite hard to understand lots of restrictions etc.

Think i will give it a bash, ive been looking for a new challenge ever since i got sacked on my southampton game so theres no harm in trying. What team would you recommend?

i would say you should try Houston as they are former winners and have a half decent squad ;)

for a real challenge try columbus crew for a man city like challenge try seattle they have money

In previous games i have managed in the MLS. Won the title with Chicago Fire, i know a bit about the MLS so i know which players i want to sign. It is slightly frustrating managing an MLS team though. I managed the U.S national team, really enjoyed that.

Hang on, how to LA Galaxy pay Beckham all that money if there is a salary cap?

I tried it out with LA Galaxy when I was experimenting with save games on FM 09 but I just forgot about it then...I will look to get a job there on my next journeyman campaign though....seems interesting

wow, way to resurrect an old thread.

i enjoy MLS games, but for me the A-league is a bigger challenge to due harsher restrictions/regulations and teams with smaller reputations

Wow, i really wasnt expecting to see this thread again. I must have just made it at the wrong time?

Hang on, how to LA Galaxy pay Beckham all that money if there is a salary cap?

Each team has a "designated player" position. Its basically one player whose salary doesn't count towards the salary cap. Most of Beckham's money comes from endorsement deals anyway though, which is pretty common here in the states.

Mls

Well, as a rookie to FM 2010 and living in the US, I'm about to embark on some MLS duty. Starting with Toronto FC, I think I'll do my learning of the basics before I begin a game in Europe.

Well, as a rookie to FM 2010 and living in the US, I'm about to embark on some MLS duty. Starting with Toronto FC, I think I'll do my learning of the basics before I begin a game in Europe.

If you wanna learn the basics I would say play as a major European club first. MLS has some weird, out-of-date rules in this game regarding DP's and such.

Might have a go at it before FM 11 comes out. How many rules exactly are there?

Edit: Also do you take part in the draft on the game personally?

Last edited: