Style over Substance?

I still play some old classic games and some of them are better then todays games

counter strike beats call of duty

old time classic star trek birth of the federation play that more then fm atm

A lot of the new games are just bult up on fancy videos trailers and then it ends up being **** like nfs run is ******* *****.

Well this can be somewhat relative, perhaps we associate the older games as the "golden times" because we were also kids, and it always leaves that "nostalgy" in us , I do feel differently because of the old FF's I used to play, doesn't mean they're better, but they accompanied my childhood and that means something, I remember good old Worms, ahah, even Toy Story, Tarzan,Hercules .... the epic Tekkens...

I disagree the basis in which your point stands on to be honest, you say 'games like the original Metal Gear Solid that you can play for 100 hours and not get bored ... have sequels that are nowhere near as good'.

Well, only someone very special would be able to play MGS1 for 100 hours without completing it enough times to know the entire script. Not to mention that Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is the best MGS game in almost every way. The reason that those games felt so good when they came out is because they were so good - when they came out.

I still play Zelda, although it's mainly just fishing these days. Something about Ocarina of time makes it stand out from anything else I have played, the storyline and fantasy behind the game is so gripping, I am still yet to play something that has me easily, and deeply, engrossed in.

Although saying that, I really got into RDR, until the end, when I finished it and got bored, but up to that point, I enjoyed it more so than any other game in recent memory.

I disagree the basis in which your point stands on to be honest, you say 'games like the original Metal Gear Solid that you can play for 100 hours and not get bored ... have sequels that are nowhere near as good'.

Well, only someone very special would be able to play MGS1 for 100 hours without completing it enough times to know the entire script. Not to mention that Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is the best MGS game in almost every way. The reason that those games felt so good when they came out is because they were so good - when they came out.

Completely agree, MGS3 and MGS4 are both superior to the original MGS. The reason you could play the first MGS over and over again was because it was really short. As an 11 year old I was able to complete it in a single sitting taking me about 6-8 hours.

had a nostalgia urge so reinstalled Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 :p still as addictive as I remember ;)

had a nostalgia urge so reinstalled Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 :p still as addictive as I remember ;)

**** you, now I want to reinstall it! Maybe I'm actually finally old enough to understand how to make an epic rollercoaster.. Although, I highly doubt it. XD

Completely agree, MGS3 and MGS4 are both superior to the original MGS. The reason you could play the first MGS over and over again was because it was really short. As an 11 year old I was able to complete it in a single sitting taking me about 6-8 hours.

No way, The original MGS had the best storyline, and the fact that they just gave you stealth at the end made the fun endless, unlike MGS4 where you need like 1000000000000000000000000000 credits to buy it.

MGS3 is dull and repetitive, worst in the series, IMO. MGS4 is great, but it's about 20 hours of video and 5 hours of gameplay, I've completed it on Big Boss Hard in less than 6 hours. I can still play MGS1 now on PS3 and love every second, even with the blurry faces. I don't know if you've MGS4 without watching all the cut-scenes, but it's very short. That, coupled with the fact that they've continued to recycle the bosses over and over, boring.

Don't get me wrong, I love MGS, but you cannot say the original isn't the best. It's contender for best [and best written] game ever.

Most of this comes from the increase in development costs. Titles used to take a year or two to make at the cost of (at the top end) a couple of million. Now SWTOR has come out with a development bill of half a billion dollars and a 6 year development period. The titles must succeed, companies cannot stomach a loss that large, so they dumb the games down, tick all the boxes, and stop taking risks which made the original titles 'work'. It's really unfortunate that this is the way of things now, but perhaps the original retro style gaming may reappear on portable devices in the 2D format.

nostalgia clouds a lot of things. come on guys.

**** you, now I want to reinstall it! Maybe I'm actually finally old enough to understand how to make an epic rollercoaster.. Although, I highly doubt it. XD
I wonder if this will make you want to install it again even more....
[video=youtube;CVvS61sQyL8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVvS61sQyL8[/video]

Haha, nice, Jak, unfortunately I cannot find my disc for it ): May have to consider downloading it..

I am so installing Rollercoaster Tycoon tonight! I have 1, 2 and 3 lying around somewhere. Probably play three. :)

bossed the first 2 beginner parks :p I'm as good as I'm as good as my ten 10 year old self :)

Pssh, we have the midas touch of Bethesda, stop complaining.