leboeuf

Reaction score
apologies mods, if this is in the wrong place.

saw the story of the new brad pitt film of the thread title...a coach who takes a baseball team with limited finances, signs journeymen, misfits and outcasts, and turns em into title winners.
i remember a good few years back when racing club of argentina did this, after they went into liquidation...was basically a whole new team, to the previous season's.

would be interested to hear if anyone has done this on FM...taken an unfashionable club with limited resources, signed journeymen and released players (not top players), and moulded them into champions.

could this work, say, by having a team of less than 3 star players, and become a winning team, as long as the tactics are right?

The Oakland A's had the AL MVP as well as the AL CY Young winner that season, so I don't think that team can be said to be fully made up of journeymen, misfits and outcasts. Just sayin'

If you're not playing FM like this then you're doing it wrong.

@ sweetchili...thats as maybe mate, but compared to most teams, they had nowhere near the wages to lay out etc, so it was a team of basically nobody's.

apologies mods, if this is in the wrong place.

saw the story of the new brad pitt film of the thread title...a coach who takes a baseball team with limited finances, signs journeymen, misfits and outcasts, and turns em into title winners.
i remember a good few years back when racing club of argentina did this, after they went into liquidation...was basically a whole new team, to the previous season's.

would be interested to hear if anyone has done this on FM...taken an unfashionable club with limited resources, signed journeymen and released players (not top players), and moulded them into champions.

could this work, say, by having a team of less than 3 star players, and become a winning team, as long as the tactics are right?

On FM11 I used to play Arles-Avignon a lot. They had awful finances, an awful squad (REALLY awful) and they couldn't loan any new players because they had already loaned more than allowed (And most of them sucked and were on high wages). I sold 3/4 of the squad, returned most of the loaned players to their clubs bar one (Jean-Alain Fanchone) and got a lot of players on frees. I didn't win the league, that's probably impossible with that team (Maybe with others) but I got to mid table and won the Coupe de France. Had to try several times though.

On FM11 I used to play Arles-Avignon a lot. They had awful finances, an awful squad (REALLY awful) and they couldn't loan any new players because they had already loaned more than allowed (And most of them sucked and were on high wages). I sold 3/4 of the squad, returned most of the loaned players to their clubs bar one (Jean-Alain Fanchone) and got a lot of players on frees. I didn't win the league, that's probably impossible with that team (Maybe with others) but I got to mid table and won the Coupe de France. Had to try several times though.

nice one mate, its good reading stuff like that.

He succeeded by using statistical analysis of players, to find players who would work well for him. It's nigh on impossible to apply the same principle to football, though.

He succeeded by using statistical analysis of players, to find players who would work well for him. It's nigh on impossible to apply the same principle to football, though.

wasnt suggesting stat analysis as such...just maybe a team of maybe not so good players, who do a simple role well, and the rest based on teamwork...thats why i said players less than 3 stars...could this work on fm in a top division?

wasnt suggesting stat analysis as such...just maybe a team of maybe not so good players, who do a simple role well, and the rest based on teamwork...thats why i said players less than 3 stars...could this work on fm in a top division?

Well that's just what LLM, which is what Lee was getting at, I think.

Well that's just what LLM, which is what Lee was getting at, I think.

oh yeah, i rarely ever play with big teams...on one save i got my palace side promoted to prem, and got tonked most games (i hold my hands up here and say, im useless at making tactics, have given up, and use d/loaded ones)...but if id had the right players and tactics, could i theoretically win the epl with an average side, or is it impossible to do unless i have the top players?

the best im doing so far, is my sporting gijon side...just over midway thru season, and punching above my weight in 6th place...obviously with no star no names in there.

well i have gone into editor and put all regional cup and league competitions and am playing as wolves casual prob never heard of them and well to cut a long story short a appalling amateur team with no money at all coz they are the lowest of the low in terms of ability and reputation and with them being amateur they play for free. no wages no club value til we turn semi- pro but i went 6 games not winning not even drawing a game then i got hold of this striker and he is not bad but with him on the pitch we win without him we lose.