From playgrounds to sell-out stadiums - A tale of 6 players

MWEST94

Reaction score
This is a story about 6 players; who are friends, from youth all the way up to retiring. They each played alongside each other at school and county level, but want to make the step up to professional football. They will each start with 90 CA and -9 PA. I have decided to do this as there are not many stories about the players, themselves. Before I start I will introduce the players:

Matthew West (myself): A 17 year old from England. A centre/ attacking midfielder who likes to dictate the tempo and control the game. He is more attack minded and will try to link up play between the midfield and strikers, and will pop up with the odd goal.
Positions: MC, DMC, AMC, ML
Similar players: Modric, Iniesta

Daniel Andersen: A 17 year old from Norway. He is a tall, skilful striker who loves to dribble past players. However, this is not the only attributes he possesses; he is strong and a team player and always looking to link up the attack.
Position: ST
Similar players: Leandro Damiao, Llorente

Christian Okafor: A 16 year old from Nigeria. A versatile two footed winger who can also play at fullback. He is an effective dribbler, who will work hard for his team, making sure his team doesn’t lose.
Position: LM, RM, LB, RB, MC
Similar players: Gutierrez, Ji-Sung Park

Halmi-Nestor Mihai: A 16 year old from Romania. He is a very aggressive attacking right winger. He is strong and speedy but can sometimes lack the composure to swing in the final ball. However, he makes up for this by being an effective team player.
Positions: RM, AMR
Similar players: Walcott, Hulk

Solid: A 17 year old again, from Romania, however he is also eligible to play for Germany and Italy. He is an attacking winger renowned for his creativity, making him effective in the final third. He also possesses the trickery and pace to be an out-and-out winger.
Positions: AMR, AML
Similar players: Douglas Costa, Gaston Ramirez

Lukas Eiffel: A 17 year old from Germany. He was originally an attacking midfielder but has been converted into a striker. He possesses great pace and skill, making it difficult for defenders to catch him. He also has a lot of flair and is a great poacher. However, his height makes it difficult for him to score headers. Playing alongside, Daniel at school level has allowed him to thrive as the poacher and allowed him to express his creativity.
Positions: AMC, ST
Similar players: Luis Suarez, Tevez

As we gathered in the living room, watching a ‘Die Hard’ marathon and munching on some snacks, we noticed Lukas get a phone call. He immediately dashed into the adjacent room while we sit there confused by what just happened.
images

After 5 minutes, he strolled into the room with a big smug look on his face. “What’s up with you?” Christian asked. “It’s Valencia, they offered me a contract” he replied. We all looked gobsmacked by his sudden announcement. We were all decent youth players playing for our local school team and getting trials with lower division clubs but none of us were expecting this. “My flights in 2 days” Lukas murmured. We all looked him, he was a good mate. Could he leave without us? “You got to take it” I told him. “It’s the opportunity of a lifetime” Solid intervened. “But we are going to do this together, what about our pact we were going to be on the same team” Lukas said. “It’s your chance now mate, take it” Solid exclaimed.
180px-Valencia_Cf_Logo_original.png

We were all at the airport; myself, Christian, Solid, Daniel and Halmi, to support Lukas. His parents had said goodbye at home and couldn’t deal with the emotional goodbye at a busy, crowded airport. We all took our time saying goodbye, knowing we might not see him again. We were all jealous, but he was our friend and we only wanted the best for him.
115964011_42447bda8d.jpg

As the plane jetted off, we slowly walked back towards the entrance. It was completely silent and kind of awkward. Was it jealously or was it Lukas parting that made it this way? We suddenly stopped and Daniel put his arm around our shoulders, “Don’t worry boys our time will come.” Good old Danny, trying to make a bad situation good!
paa325000037.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic idea, brilliant start

6 months had passed, me, Christian, Solid, Daniel and Halmi, were sat in the same place Lukas got his big break. We all had various trials at different clubs, ranging top leagues sides all the way down to Hereford. Even Halmi got a trial with Arsenal to be later turned down.
9937446-sad-group-of-young-men-looking-at-television-sitting-on-a-couch.jpg

While this was happening, Lukas was thriving in Spain. He was playing for the reserve side, Valencia Mestalla, just off their main striker Paco Alcacer. He was doing brilliant with 12 goals in 18 appearances as well as many assists. His creativity and finishing made him a fan favourite.
ALCACER31MAYO10_jpg_1494554400.jpg

View attachment 271075
We stayed in touch with him through Skype; he had picked up the language and culture very quickly. We all wanted to be in his position, but nothing!​

Brilliant start! I'm Lukas Eiffel so happy with my start!

This is so awesome!Keep it up!
Too bad Arsenal didn't signed that...good player,charming,awesome guy Halmi

Opportunity arises...
A few weeks later, me, Solid and Daniel got our opportunity to shine. Martin O’Neil had called us up for a trial with Sunderland, a Premier League club! He was impressed by our footage playing for our local team.
[video=youtube;4T-pJEvQZMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T-pJEvQZMs[/video]
As we got to the training ground, there were at least 20 other youngsters eyeing for a place. O’Neil quickly showed, “Alright boys, there’s a lot of you here today and I cannot guarantee you will all be signed up. So give it your best shot.” We all looked at each other, looking at our competition. We nodded to each other – at least we knew someone here.
images

O’Neil, “Alright boys get warmed up, we will be training with the first teamers.” Everyone gasped; everyone had that same look of excitement and dread across their face.

As we warmed up and got the ball moving about; O’Shea, Mignolet, Sessegnon, and Cattermole, raced onto the pitch. “Alright everyone we have a little match to see your strength and weaknesses”, looking at me when saying ‘weaknesses’. He pointed at each of us and told us to go to a side. Me and Solid were on one side and Daniel was on the other.
133441hp2.jpg

As the practice match kicked off, Solid immediately worked his socks off, trying to win the ball back and dribbling forward. He jinxed past one payer when Cattermole came sliding in, forcefully. “Welcome to the Premier League” he whispered into Solid’s ear.
images

About half an hour had gone, I was starting to dictate the play in the middle of the match, allowing Sessegnon and Solid to make runs through the centre. Solid was having a decent game showing his passing ability and trickery. However, Daniel was having a bad game, he looked like he never played football before, he had two left feet and fluffed his only opportunity over the bar.

It was near the end of the first half. The opposition had a corner but we managed to clear it and start a counter ourselves. I picked up the ball near the halfway line, and quickly shifted it to Sessegnon. He immediately darted past his player and it was 3 against 2, with Solid joining us in attack. A defender quickly went to cover Sessegnon, while me and Solid where against a defender. Sessegnon switched the play with a lovely through ball Solid, who buried it past the helpless Mignolet. GOAL!

As we got into the second half, it was similar to the first half. I was controlling the game, and Solid and Sessegnon were making dangerous runs and confusing the defenders while Daniel hardly got a sniff of a chance.

In 73rd​ minute, we got our second through a raging Sessegnon run who then played it through to one of the strikers who simply netted another easy chance.

As the game dragged me and Solid were playing at the top of our game, while Daniel was having the worst game of his life.

Suddenly, the 83rd​ minute Daniel got his chance. O’Shea swept his clearance away and Daniel picked it up. He was one-on-one against the defender, he quickly wrong-footed the defender and he was in against the keeper. All he had to do was place it past the keeper. As the ball left his foot, going for the top right corner, the keeper dived to his right, pulling off a miraculous save with his fingers; as he knocked it over the bar. That was Danny’s chance. He placed his head in his hands, as the goalkeeper smugly looked at him. Peter Deephole I think his name was, well his name will be imprinted in Daniel’s mind forever.
healey_801936c.jpg
155-sport-photo.jpg

As the game ended me and Solid went to consolidate Daniel. We knew deep-down he wasn’t getting a youth contract. We began walking back to O’Neil and he quickly came to congratulate us. “Well done lads. Solid looks like you are going to be a Sunderland player. West can I speak to you privately?” he asked. This didn’t sound good.

I sat down in the office with him, nervously sipping on a glass of water. “Look West, you a great footballer, but your style of play doesn’t suit the club. One day you will join a great club, but unfortunately it won’t be with us.” I heard those words ringing in my head, I thought I’d done enough.

I quickly left to get the train back home alongside a depressed Daniel and a happy Solid, who was trying to cover up his emotions.
2409983-895358-football-manager-and-team-with-head-in-hands.jpg

We sat down at the train station in silence. On the other side of the platform, was Peter Deephole – the guy that stopped Daniel’s certain goal. “Did he get a contract?” Daniel asked murmuring it. “Yes” Solid replied. “One day I’m going to score with my new club and wipe that smug look off his face.” Daniel exclaimed. We all laughed and got on the train. Now two of us had professional contracts, only four of us left.​

Great story mate really enjoying this, wish I was a player.