Newcastle v Swansea - Dec 17; 1500 GMT

StuW

Why So Serious?
Reaction score
Newcastle v Swansea​

P7jUf.png
5YdQ4.png

Newcastle will be keen to capitalise on Swansea's poor away form and get their Premier League campaign back on track when they host the Welsh side at St James' Park on Saturday.

After a storming start to the season which saw Alan Pardew's men sitting second in the table just over a month ago, the Toon have let things slide in recent weeks. Injuries and suspensions, coupled with a tough run of fixtures, have seen the Magpies go four games without a win, losing three of those encounters.

Recent losses against Manchester City and Chelsea, as well as a 4-2 defeat at Norwich last time out, have left Pardew's side seventh in the table and five points adrift of the UEFA Champions League places. The Magpies will look to address that winless streak at St James' Park this weekend, where they have lost just once this season, against Chelsea a fortnight ago.

The visit of Brendan Rodgers' promoted Swans could be an ideal opportunity to do so, with the Welsh side yet to win on their travels this term. Despite their woeful form on the road, Swansea currently sit in mid-table thanks to an impressive home record.

Rodgers' men enjoyed a 2-0 triumph over Fulham at the Liberty Stadium last weekend, during which in-form goalkeeper Michel Vorm saved a Clint Dempsey penalty to keep the Cottagers out. They will be desperate to carry the momentum from that win into Saturday's game, but their history on Tyneside suggests they could struggle.

The Swans have lost on their last three trips to the North East, failing to score on any of those visits, with their last victory coming in 1980 when they secured a 2-1 win.

Newcastle boss Pardew will make late decisions over a trio of players as he attempts to bolster his options for the clash. Skipper Fabricio Coloccini (thigh), fellow central defender Mike Williamson (ankle) and midfielder Cheick Tiote (knee) will all be assessed on Friday before the manager names his team. Midfielder Dan Gosling is suspended following his sending-off at Norwich last weekend, while Steven Taylor (Achilles) and Danny Guthrie (groin) remain on the injured list.

Swans manager Rodgers welcomes back midfielder Joe Allen to the squad after he served a one-match ban for his sending-off at Blackburn. The return of Steven Caulker and Danny Graham from injury last weekend provided a welcome lift for the Welsh side, with both expected to feature.

Possible starting XIs:
Newcastle: Krul, Simpson, Perch, Coloccini, Santon, Obertan, Cabaye, R Taylor, Gutierrez, Ba, Ameobi.

Swansea: Vorm, Richards, Williams, Caulker, Taylor, Britton, Gower, Allen, Sinclair, Dyer, Graham.

Nice thread, mate! I think this game should be a fairly good one due to both team's being fairly on form and also having good team spirit. Are you allowed to make threads for single matches, or not, though? I'll definitely be watching this game on Match of the Day, though probably not live as I rarely watch other teams, apart from Arsenal, live.

I'm personally predicting a 3-1 win for Newcastle United at Saint James Park, in a game which is action-packed, end-to-end and between two determined teams with great spirit. I hope the weather's rainy and nice and wet, because it is always a spectacle in the rain (slide tackles, pure grit and also a more even game) rather than just the more technically gifted players dominating it all.

I think that Newcastle will score first early on with a scrappy goal to get the game started - possibly from Demba Ba. After the opener, Swansea should be very worked up and attack Newcastle furiously. For me, Demba Ba, Yohan Cabaye and Jonás Gutiérrez will all net for Newcastle whilst Swansea will score through Danny Graham (who is currently on quite good form and is quite a talented goalscorer).

Wow, after so many days finally match thread.

I would go for Newcastle win, but more likely both teams will score.

Perch starting... Be afraid. Be very afraid...

If you're a Newcastle fan, that is.

Atleast we have Colo back. Perch can get ****** though. Willamson played a reserves game in the week so hope he will be back sooner rather than later.

Think we will sneak it 3-1. Ba with 2, Taylor with the other, Graham to score for the Swans.

Atleast we have Colo back. Perch can get ****** though. Willamson played a reserves game in the week so hope he will be back sooner rather than later.

Think we will sneak it 3-1. Ba with 2, Taylor with the other, Graham to score for the Swans.

I though Colo was a 50-50? Newcastle have really missed him and Tioté though.

I hope we can win this game.

People say we are on a bad run of form. We got one more point that anyone expected of us against the three top teams we played and we lost to Norwich with no centre backs. We are still doing well, we still have Ba and I think we'll win.

3-2 for me. We'll concede two goals, as Colo isn't fully fit, if he's playing and Perch is ****. But with Shola infront, you'll never miss scoring goals.
Ba with the hattrick again.

Colo is only 50-50, as is Tiote...Kadar will play if Colo is out, and Smith will replace Tiote.

Coloccini, Tiote and Santon all start, Haris Vuckic and Mehdi Abeid make the bench.

Wonderful tribute to Gary Speed, just shows how much he means to the Toon Army, and football. And the East Stand sign with '11' is incredible.

Wonderful tribute to Gary Speed, just shows how much he means to the Toon Army, and football. And the East Stand sign with '11' is incredible.

It really was a beautiful rendition. Absolutely stunning tribute-nothing less than I expected from Newcastle. Very very moving

Newcastle dominant so far, just the presence of Colo and Tiote has lifted the team, there has always been an option to the player in possession, and Cabaye's passing is a joy to watch, as is Tiote's combative play.

how come Ryan Taylor isn't playing? he's in my fantasy team! Hoping for a 0-0 :p