For Hodgson, success won't come easy in his step up to Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
He started his career as a RB, was swiftly moved to DM though.

Also, did you know Torres was initially a GK?

Gerrard was a centre mid as a young boy. He played RB in his first few games for Liverpool when Babbel and Heggem were injured, Houllier was fully aware he was a CM.

Stevie's a lovely player but, yep - that's his achilles heel (H)

Yeah, it's all wrapped up in how he is and it's a weakness as well as a strength.

Remember when Rafa substituted Gerrard and put on Lucas, and we went on and won the derby? And after the match Rafa said he wanted a player who'd think more on the pitch.

That's kind of the problem. Gerrard always wants to be involved. (You see the same with a few players - Rooney's another good example of a player who does his shift and then goes looking for more).

Sometimes it's exactly what the team needs - someone who'll grab the ball, never hides away and is trying to make something happen. At other times it's totally the opposite to what is needed.

Rafa tried to solve the problem by pushing Gerrard into a floating role - he can go where he likes, and he'll get his goals and create room for Torres.

How Mr.Hodgson approaches the problem will be interesting.

Trying not to read too much into the friendly, but what was very, very obvious was just how deep all of our back four were and just how many long balls into the channels we were punting forward. One of Rafa's big problems was the distribution from the back when Agger was out and how seemingly undroppable Carra is combined with how vulnerable he is getting to raw pace.

It might be Mr.Hodgson will show a side of himself that he's not demonstrated in 30 years in management. I hope so given the strengths of the team currently. Going back to the Houllier years would demonstrate on the pitch just how much we're regressing currently.

And Sol Campbell, a striker?

Heskey definately a 'Keeper.

Almost if he tries to stop the ball going in sometimes.

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

Gerrard was a centre mid as a young boy. He played RB in his first few games for Liverpool when Babbel and Heggem were injured, Houllier was fully aware he was a CM.

Or that.

Wasn't old enough at the time to differentiate between standing in or natural position.

Yeah, it's all wrapped up in how he is and it's a weakness as well as a strength.

Remember when Rafa substituted Gerrard and put on Lucas, and we went on and won the derby? And after the match Rafa said he wanted a player who'd think more on the pitch.

That's kind of the problem. Gerrard always wants to be involved. (You see the same with a few players - Rooney's another good example of a player who does his shift and then goes looking for more).

Sometimes it's exactly what the team needs - someone who'll grab the ball, never hides away and is trying to make something happen. At other times it's totally the opposite to what is needed.

Rafa tried to solve the problem by pushing Gerrard into a floating role - he can go where he likes, and he'll get his goals and create room for Torres.

Trying not to read too much into the friendly, but what was very, very obvious was just how deep all of our back four were and just how many long balls into the channels we were punting forward. One of Rafa's big problems was the distribution from the back when Agger was out and how seemingly undroppable Carra is combined with how vulnerable he is getting to raw pace.

It might be Mr.Hodgson will show a side of himself that he's not demonstrated in 30 years in management. I hope so given the strengths of the team currently. Going back to the Houllier years would demonstrate on the pitch just how much we're regressing currently.
the balls into the channel, now i see why you're linked with remy...

the balls into the channel, now i see why you're linked with remy...

Mr.Babel also makes an admirable road runner - meep meep!

We'll see though. Got to judge him over a fair period of time. My fear is that a lot of the numpties who thought Rafa was boring will be all over him like a bad rash if we get a bad start to the season and he sets us up as he has set up pretty much every team he's ever managed. Hope not, as I've said for a while, even prior to him being our manager, he comes across as a decent bloke. Not right to see him being castigated by A.Numpty of Leamington Spa for not being Paisley.

I couldn't agree more. I am very interested to see how ol' Roy handles Gerrard and what sort of role he gives him. I really hope he does go back to the more 'box to box' role rather than the advanced 'amc' if you will.

I did not see your friendly, what you say about the back four makes me wonder about Glen Johnson.

He isn't one for restricted movement.

A fine read madsheep.

Dark horse this year.
Out of all the teams who are going to be competing for honours, apart from Chelsea, Liverpool under Hodgson concern me the most.
I think he will do very well.

Trying not to read too much into the friendly, but what was very, very obvious was just how deep all of our back four were and just how many long balls into the channels we were punting forward.

Oh Lord, from this style of play please deliver us, thy long-suffereing LFC fans.

Amen

I did not see your friendly, what you say about the back four makes me wonder about Glen Johnson.

True that Kris. Actually looking forward to seeing what Mr.Hodgson's got planned to be honest. Hoping that it will be something a little more free wheeling as a norm, although equally fans will also have to appreciate that we may end up losing more as a result. The team is capable of fantastic football (there was a lovely move against Atletico Madrid which didn't end up as a goal but provides some evidence of just what lies under the surface if the elements click together: YouTube- Liverpool vs Atletico - amazing passes 2-1 ).

Would be a waste to not keep on building upon that.

I couldn't agree more. I am very interested to see how ol' Roy handles Gerrard and what sort of role he gives him. I really hope he does go back to the more 'box to box' role rather than the advanced 'amc' if you will.

A fine read madsheep.

I'll think you'll find a lot movement from the full backs because during his time at Fulham, that is really where most our attacks came from, especially from Konchesky so you'd think that whoever goes left back for Liverpool will have to display some kind of attacking flair. To the reason of a deep defence, that has always seemed the case under Hodgson because the team defends as a unit, this means the the midfield and striker will be deeper while defending than they were under Benitez so it means the defence also has to push back.

I'll think you'll find a lot movement from the full backs because during his time at Fulham, that is really where most our attacks came from, especially from Konchesky so you'd think that whoever goes left back for Liverpool will have to display some kind of attacking flair. To the reason of a deep defence, that has always seemed the case under Hodgson because the team defends as a unit, this means the the midfield and striker will be deeper while defending than they were under Benitez so it means the defence also has to push back.

That's interesting Jack, because under Rafa we were focused on short spells of intense pressing very high up the pitch based on the theory that the last third of the pitch is the best possible place to win possession.

Know any place where I can download some full Fulham matches (if you lot are anything like us Liverpool fans, you may have somewhere with them all uploaded for Fulham fans to download)? Want to really go over how he sets up his teams.

Same if there's any Inter supporters reading this - any full matches (not highlights though lads) of Inter playing under Hodgson? Don't care what language the commentary is in ;)

PM me if any of you lot know of any anywhere (torrent links, direct downloads, whatever). Appreciated and thanks in advance to any and all :)

True that Kris. Actually looking forward to seeing what Mr.Hodgson's got planned to be honest. Hoping that it will be something a little more free wheeling as a norm, although equally fans will also have to appreciate that we may end up losing more as a result. The team is capable of fantastic football (there was a lovely move against Atletico Madrid which didn't end up as a goal but provides some evidence of just what lies under the surface if the elements click together: YouTube- Liverpool vs Atletico - amazing passes 2-1 ).

Would be a waste to not keep on building upon that.
That, is top class football. Although I sadly don't think you'll any of that with Old Woy in charge.

That, is top class football. Although I sadly don't think you'll any of that with Old Woy in charge.

You'd be surprised, the main idea of Hodgson's tactic is to retain the ball which we was demonstrated perfectly at the emirates in the 2008/2009 season when we drew 0-0. However, some of our players are just not to good at keeping it unfortunately. It should be very effective at Liverpool though because from all the games I've watched them, there main strength in dominating pocession of the ball which allows them to dictate the pace and tempo in which the game is played at.

You'd be surprised, the main idea of Hodgson's tactic is to retain the ball which we was demonstrated perfectly at the emirates in the 2008/2009 season when we drew 0-0. However, some of our players are just not to good at keeping it unfortunately. It should be very effective at Liverpool though because from all the games I've watched them, there main strength in dominating pocession of the ball which allows them to dictate the pace and tempo in which the game is played at.
Good point, he always seemed to have hard working players in the first 11, like Baird for example, he turned really quite good under Roy and he worked pretty well in the system. But yeah I see your point, if he has the right players at his disposal it could work for him, but it depends on their attitudes towards his sort of style really, like Simon Davies said in an interview, it was the same thing every day in training, and it got boring, so he'll need a professional squad and no slackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.