Paatelainen leaves Killie for Finnish job

pistolped7

Reaction score
Kilmarnock manager Mixu Paatelainen has left his post at Rugby Park to become the new manager of his native Finnish national team. Paatelainen, who replaces Stuart Baxter, was also offered the Scunthorpe United job, but knocked it back to join the Huuhkajat. Paatelainen has been in the Killie job less than a year, but he has made an impact in the short space of time he has been in Ayrshire. He has had the Rugby Park outfit playing good football, and led them to 5th this campaign after they narrowly avoided relegation last year.
Baxter, who was linked with Celtic's job in the summer, departed a while ago, with numerous caretakers handling recent games, including Tuesday's 2-0 friendly loss to Portugal. Paatelainen's first game will be away to Latvia in August.

A number of names have been thrown in the hat to be the next Killie boss, including former St Mirren boss and Killie player Gus MacPherson and former Hibs manager John Hughes.

Assistant manager Kenny Shiels will be in a caretaker position, starting off with the trip to Perth on Saturday to play St Johnstone.

SSN article: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_6844331,00.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad news for Killie, Paatelainen was good for them. :S

Last edited:
Shame Killie were playing some excellent football

But you cant reject when your country comes calling

Hopefully he will bring improved results for us.

shame he has left killie were playing well, but when his country came looking for him , he cant really reject.

Yeah, maybe we could even qualify for the Euro 2016 :F

Would've liked to see him finish his job at Kilmarnock though.

Departure of Stuart Baxter was earlier, temporary replacements were handling latest games. I'm sure that "Mixu" will bring some succes to our national team. He was coach of my home team TPS a few years back, with some good results.

I wonder why somehow he has got himself a reputation of playing direct and "ugly" football, altough that is not the case.