Pep Guardiola loses his cool in the press conference

dasty

Reaction score
Pep Guardiola has hit back at Jose Mourinho in a foul-mouthed rant ahead of the Champions League semi-final first leg between Real Madrid and Barcelona at the Bernabeu on Wednesday.

In his pre-match press conference on Tuesday, Mourinho had referred to Guardiola's response to the officials' decision to disallow Pedro's effort during the Copa del Rey final, claiming he had created a category of coach by complaining about correct decisions.

"Up until now we've had two groups of coaches," Mourinho said. "[There's] a very small group who didn't talk about referees. Then there's a larger group, of which I'm included, of coaches that criticises referees when they make big mistakes.

"And with Pep's statements we've come to a third group, which is a one-person group, who criticises good decisions made by the referee. I've never seen this before."

Guardiola, at his press conference later in the day, issued a strong response.

"Tomorrow at 8.45, we will meet each other on the pitch," Guardiola said. "Off the pitch he has already won.

"In this room [press room], he's the f*****g chief, the f*****g man, the person who knows everything about the world and I don't want to compete with him at all. It's a type of game I'm not going to play because I don't know how.

"I won't justify my words. I congratulated Madrid for the cup that they won deservedly on the pitch and against a team that I represent and of which I feel very proud.

"Off the pitch, he has already won, as he has done all year. On the pitch, we'll see what happens."

He added: "If you think that his allegation that I always complain about the referees is true after you've all heard from me over the last three years, well, there's nothing I can do. Off the pitch, there's nothing we can do to fight that."

Guardiola does not believe the war of words between the coaches will have any influence on the players.

"Do you think the players will run more because I've spoken to Jose through the cameras? It's the Champions League semi-finals," he said. "The players won't be motivated by this - they know what I think about everything associated with this game."

Source: Pep Guardiola launches foul-mouthed Jose Mourinho rant - ESPN Soccernet

I have no idea where to post this but since this is CL related so I'll just post it here. Personally I think Guardiola had fallen into Mourinho's trap, unfortunately. I bet Mourinho will be grinning from chin to chin when he saw this news. People might argue that mind games between managers have no impact or whatsoever on the outcome of a game, but how many times had we seen a manager losing his calm and threw his whole season away? Even Benitez had yet to recover from his "facts rant" against Man Utd. His career had gone downhill since then.

I couldn't predict the future as I'm no sorcerer, but Guardiola had lost his cool and that is not ideal with the game coming up tomorrow. Mourinho had now managed to get into his head, and that will certainly affect Guardiola's decision making tomorrow.

Nevertheless, I expect one **** of a game tomorow.

Pep losing his cool, not something you should be doing when you're auditioning to replace Sir Alex...

Pep losing his cool, not something you should be doing when you're auditioning to replace Sir Alex...
Are you high? Pep is one of a few select who don't have to audition for any football management job...

What he said was completely correct, Jose is the king of the press, Pep just isn't that kind of person, and on the pitch, so far, Pep is the king.

Just before the press confrence started he rang Rafa Benitez up for a few tips on how to get his point accross about rival managers in press confrences without looking foolish. Bad idea i think.

This isnt just to do with Jose though, he's been looking haggard all season, and talking about new challenges,and spanish coaches dont tend to stay for a long time, normally about 4 seasons, maybe this was the straw that broke the camels back, its been coming

Last edited:
****, when mourinho win, his team win... Final, i'll dare, Manchester United - Real Madrid... and I hope CR will score, I want to see his face after.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Are you high? Pep is one of a few select who don't have to audition for any football management job...

What he said was completely correct, Jose is the king of the press, Pep just isn't that kind of person, and on the pitch, so far, Pep is the king.

Can you explain this a little bit more please :) ?

He has Jose Mourinho to contend with for the job, so yes, he does have to audition...afterall, he's only managed Barca; his CV pales in comparison to The Special One's.

There are far too many United fans that seem to think the manager's job at Old Trafford is the holy grail. Do you honestly think the Man Utd job is bigger than Real or Barcelona?

On topic: The special one draws first blood, I can't believe that Pep has fallen into the Mourinho web. Should certainly make for a cracking first leg.

Gordan Strachan >* at press conferences, shame he is a ***** manager though.
I thought Pep had a cool head aswell ahhh well

Mourinho is such a troll. I love him.

Scotts idol
OT: will be interesting to see if the game is any more fiesty that it would have been 2morrow and if there are any red cards

O Pep. tisk tisk tisk. This is why I miss Jose in the Prem. Such a wind up merchant bless 'im. Prob won't affect the result that much though, but it does make amusing reading/viewing. Still think Barcelona will go through but it'll be a feisty affair, with some oscar winning dives somewhere

****, when mourinho win, his team win... Final, i'll dare, Manchester United - Real Madrid... and I hope CR will score, I want to see his face after.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Can you explain this a little bit more please :) ?
Pep is a very good manager, one of the best right now and he is still very young. His reputation precedes him - that's what it means.

He has Jose Mourinho to contend with for the job, so yes, he does have to audition...afterall, he's only managed Barca; his CV pales in comparison to The Special One's.
I highly doubt Jose will ever coach ManU...would be great if he did, but having coached Chelsea already, he won't coach any other team in the EPL.

I'll post it here as well... the media have blown this way out of proportion, and the translation is a literal word-by-word translation, which fails to reproduce the intention of some of Pep's words - whose response was quite far from being a foul mouthed rant as this article will have you believe. Plus, he was as calmed as ever, he didn't go nuts or anything.

"And with Pep's statements we've come to a third group, which is a one-person group, who criticises good decisions made by the referee. I've never seen this before."

Amazing. <3

Classic Mourinho. What a hero.

This is why meeting Mourinho is the nightmare of all managers. Mourinho can stay calm, and he controls his mind games. This guy cannot play them. Mourinho is the best!