Creating a tactic - what's the point?

WalkerRFC

Reaction score
Hi,

I have great interest in football tactics. If I was a manager I'd be a tactician. I like defence-first football. Mourinho, Simeone, Conte.

Relating this to football manager, I could have some fun creating tactics that suit my philosophy (and I have). But after reading Mr Langvatn's Tactics Centre and seeing that all the best tactics use 3 at the back, often with inverted wingbacks, thus proving the match engine has a clear weakness to such a shape - what is the point in creating a tactic that isn't 3 at the back using inverted wingbacks? As you'll never be able to reach the heights that your same team could with a 3 at the back tactic could use.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but that's the way I see it. I understand that - of course - you'll find it much more rewarding creating your own tactic. But I just feel constantly undermined playing a game whereby I know a different shape would yield better results almost as a cheat. Can we just label it a cheat?

Walker

Can we just label it a cheat?

You can say that. Yes, technically what those do this is the same as going into the editor outright and boosting the players. The means may be different, but the bottom line is that opponents in the game have no means to cope with that. Other than in multiplayer, where any newbie could steamroll your much superior squad by plugging in a download, this shouldn't bother you much. If this were a competitive multiplayer game, this game were dead though. If it had bothered me that you could break the game, I would have stopped playing long ago. There's two technically viable different modus operandi of playing, and this has always existed. The current influx of narrow3CB tactics is down to wide players sitting out wide in defending if you watch. Overload centrally, and poor players will be in space no matter what. Why it can be worth thus:

- Patches won't destroy you.
- You will have a better understanding of your results (there's a reason why 99.9% of rage quitters seem downloaders)
- Player quality / motivation / development / transfer market matters
- You would need to manage some, rather than click, click, drink a cup of tea

Essentially, you wouldn't pay full price for a game and then break the AI, engine, simulation from day one, basically 90% of the work and budget that goes into this every year. Seems a decent enough deal to me considering what you are looking for. Oh, and talking about MrLs, you would never ever have seemingly random match stats such as this, hiding a casserole of crapshots from defenders clearing over and over again when that one trick pony fails to create space.

dominationnogoals.jpg.572b922604179505afd2a961d5f37c07.jpg

Last edited: