Playing Football the Glasgow Celtic Way ;)

Reaction score
After receiving sufficient interest on this thread:
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f81/story-thread-proposal-t26192.html#post268885, I've decided to start a FMstory about my celtic save. Hope you enjoy reading :)

----------------

30th June 2009:
Novice Scottish manager Christopher McLaughlin is unveiled as Celtic manager, saying: " I'm delighted to have the fantastic opportunity to manage the football team I've supported all my life. I will try to bring as much success to this football club as I possibly can."

-------------

Squad assessment:
Decent enough to do well domestically, looking for younger player to try to be European champions within 6 years.
*See first screenshot*

----------------
1st July:

Intra-Squad friendly vs. Reserves. Lost 2-1, though scoreline flatters them and my side looked more like the Reserves.

*See screenshots 2&3*

-----------------

Transfer Update:

Looking to remove ( what I see as ) deadwood and invest in quality young(ish) players for my champions league aim.
*See 4th&5th screenshots*

-------------------------

That's all folks ( for now ). About to play Sao Paulo in a friendly. May update later as I'm off to christmas eve mass :) Tara and merry christmas! ;)

Good luck. Strange formation you have, and a bad loss against the reserves ;)

playing the celtic way?

having *** with choir kids? ahh i kid (A)

playing the celtic way?

Kris that's the funniest thing I've heard all week XD

Unlucky with the reserves, and I like your arrow shaped formation...

lmao Kris :D thanks for the comments guys but as you can see I played a second-string side. I am fully aware of what the McGeady's of my team can do and wanted have a look at the likes of Mizuno. At mass, will update later. ;) :)

I'm a big fan of bonkers formations. Just a tip if your playing a team considerably better than yours, play 6-3-1 (2 sweepers). Works a treat :D

Do you get alot with Celtic? Whittnam who you may or may not know from the forums went them on our net game and Fortune was the daddy. Won him the league

£8M Kris. Thanks Jamie, was a bit of a random choice but is probably the best way to accomodate all my best players, with the exception of Hinkel, who I am considering selling.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

playing the celtic way?

Also, I've noticed Sean has been a lot quieter since he came north here to visit you.... :p ;) (6)

Hey guys, sorry that the promised pm update hasn't materialised.

Having a few teething problems with my new laptop.

i) Unable to transfer save-game file from house computer to laptop, and
ii) Failing to download and impliment patch 10.2.0

Good luck mate.Wishing you luck.Not sure about the formation though.3-2-2-2-1? What an "interesting" formation :p

Might want to consider changing it before you get going...

Hi all, great news! FM now fully functioning on laptop and I have continued with my save. Played Sao Paolo so far, and will update after a few more friendlies.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 08:22 PM ----------

Hey guys, thanks to LukeT on here I have been able to continue my Story:

Pre-season is over and I have played the 1st ( away ) leg of my CL 3rd. Round qualifiers.
----------------------------------------------------
Results: (Friendlies unless stated)
Celtic 0-2 Sao Paulo: Still refrained from a full-strength line-up, but Boruc returned in goal and played very well dspite the scoreline.

Albion Rovers 0-4 Celtic: Walk in the park, basically

Celtic 3-1 Trabzonspor: Great comeback after trailing 1-0 at half-time.

Red Star Belgrade 0-2 Celtic: A Campbell header and a superb McDonald strike capped an excellent second-half performance

Celtic 2-1 Newcastle Utd.: 2-0 up at half-time but a Ryan Taylor free-kick on 81mins caused a scare.

CL 3rd Q. - Sparta Prague 1-0 Celtic: Deserved a lot more from this encounter. See Screenshot 1.

--------------------------------------------------
Squad and Tactics, etc.
Barry Robson and Stephen McManus have been out since the off and are still up to 5 weeks from recovery.
Shaun Maloney suffered a thigh strain against RedStar but will be fit for return, Home, leg against Sparta.
Marc Crosas has recovered from a small knock sustained against Newcastle but could only make the bench for the defeat in Prague.

Gary Caldwell has been named new Celtic captain, stepping up from vice-captain to replace Stephen Mcmanus. Artur Boruc will fill in Caldwell's previous role, but Christopher McLaughlin has denied that McManus wil leave the club.

As you will see in the screenshot (2), I have moved one of the AM's in my formation up-to a CF berth, in the hope that we can now create and put away a few more chances. This change came into effect at half-time in the Trabzonspor friendly and has been working well since then.
---------------------------------------------------------
Transfers. ( See screenshot 3 )
IN:

Sol Campbell has been brought in for free after impressing on a trial. He joins South-American attacker Giovanni Dos Santos, who join on a 12-month loan for a fee of £2.2M. South-Korean midfielder will link-up with his new team-mates at Celtic in January, completing a £1.7M move from FC Seoul. Australian Rhys Williams, a 21 year-old versatile defender/midfielder has arrived at Parkhead on £350K season-long loan move from Middlesborough. Zimbabwean striker Benjani has been acquired on loan for the forthcoming campaign, with a set future fee of £1.4M. Brazilian centre-back Miranda has also signed, with Celtic paying £9M to Sao Paulo over the next 48 months ( 2 years ).

OUT

A clutch of youth players have left on a free after gaffer McLaughlin decided that they did not feature in his plans.
Glenn Loovens departed for Merseyside with Everton splashing out £2.5M on the Dutch defender. Keeper Zaluska joined Arsenal on a £150K loan, while other reserve goalie Scott Fox joined Watford for a 6-month loan deal at Vicarage Road. Samaras left for Lyon, with the French side facing an outlay of £2.2M for the Greek striker, which is also roughly the cost for the sissy ******* to shave his lassie-mop. Lee Naylor left for £1.5M to Fulham - a deal in which all parties benifited as Naylor will now play whereas at Celtic, McLaughlin prefers not to use full-backs. Sevilla also benefited from the manager's tactical strategies, regaining German right-back and former player Andreas Hinkel for a sum of £3.3M. In other news, Ryan Conroy left for Notts County while Danny Fox has departed, on loan, to West Ham for £40K.

----------------------------------
Domestic Competions. ( See screenshot 4 )

The board expect me and my Bhoys to triumph in a league and cup double. The consider the League Cup unimportant, so I will therefore do an Arsene Wenger and give my youngsters a run-out. They will be content with dropping into the Europa League after the CL group stages but I'm hoping for a little more than that. First things first however, we still need to negotiate our way past Sparta Prague at Celtic Park, aiming to overturn the 1-0 deficit.

---------------------------------
Miscellaneous.

Veteran tea-lady Bobelina has been relieved from her duties with immediate effect after being caught giving Bobo Balde more 'playing' time in one steamy night than he's had on the park in the last two years..... she's 68 by the way.

--

Thanks for your patience while I was having difficulties with my laptop. Any thoughts and opinions are welcome. :) Thanks, Chris ;)

*** UNABLE TO POST SCREENSHOTS A.T.M. - WILL DO SO ASAP ***

Last edited:
playing the celtic way?

no scoring there only 2 shots on target in the last 10 mins!

but ye, good luck mate shouldnt be to hard with that joke of a rangers team!

:p

A few good buys could be Sergiy Kryvtsov, Otamendi and Vaclav Kadlec. Maybe even Romelu something from Belgium.

Hope you do well, doing a Celtic save with much the same goals.

Evening all, the promised update has arrived :)

---------------------------------
Results: ( Personal Highlights in bold )
( Cup macthes in italics, either LeagueCup, CL, EuropaLeague )
Celtic 2-0 Sparta
Aberdeen 1-0 Celtic
Sporting C.P. 2-0 Celtic
Celtic 6-0 St. Johnstone
Celtic 1-0 Sporting
Hibs 0-1 Celtic
Celtic 2-2 Dundee Utd.
Celtic 0-2 Panathinaikos
Celtic 3-1 Hearts
Celtic 5-1 Morton
St. Mirren 1-2 Celtic
Dinamo Bucharest 1-5 Celtic
Rangers 3-4 Celtic

Celtic 3-0 Motherwell
Kyrlja Sovetov 3-2 Celtic
Hamiton 0-1 Celtic
Hamilton 1-4 Celtic
Celtic 1-0 Kilmarnock

-----------------------------------
Transfers:

All signings doing well with the exception of Benjani, whose only goal has come against Morton.

-------------------------
Screenshots

Screenshot 1 = League Table
Screenshot 2 = Fixtures and Results Screen
Screenshot 3 = Transfer Centre
Screenshot 4 = Transfers History

Sorry that update is not very in-depth. Hoping to update more regularly and therefore give a little more detail. ie, scorers, my post-match insights, injuries and more.
Thanks, Chris :) ;)

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Bump. :)