Semi-Finals - Algeria U20

The last time was back in 2003 when Ivory Coast advanced to the knockout stage in an African Youth Championship.Algeria played convincingly in the group stage, and as i feel we got the toughest opponent. There wasnt a real stake at this game, we achieved what we want, just enjoy the game. They took the lead so early in the 3rd minute after a corner. Our defense opened as we tried to find a way back to the game, and after a counter attack Algeria extended their lead in the 58th. In the 83rd minute they secured their win. The better side won no doubt about that. We can still fight for the third place and our opponent will be Egypt.

View attachment 241394

Third Place match - Egypt U20

After an exciting match in the group stage we met again, but this time the bronze medal is at the stake. The guys are completely tired, we gave them the lead in the 6th minute, and slide deeper after their second goal in the 27th minute, and after 33 minutes they led by three after a penalty. 5 minutes later we scored as well, two goals down in the half. After the break we came back to one in the 50th minute. After the 87 we got two red cards, but that didnt affect the result, we got the 4th place this year.

View attachment 241393

After this busy month, i had some time for myself, so i can check my personal messages, voicemails, and everything. There was an e-mail what really surprised me. Of course my little speech leaked out, but i never thought that will made my idols attention.

View attachment 241344

The funny thing that hes managing one of the richest club on the world, and he share my ideas? Okay, thats true that he won the Champions League with Porto back in 2004, and that team was financially a mess fair to say.

John called me after the tournament as well.

"Buddy, you did a very good job in Africa. Now you can show yourself and your capabilities on the World Cup."

"Woah John, thanks... I mean that was a very busy month, and i have to say im still so tired."

"Dont worry man, you have two months to regenerate. I guess you want to make some surprise in New Zealand as well."

"Well... That would be great, but there will be the best 24 teams of the world... As i feel we would need a good draw if we want a chance to advance."

"24th April buddy... The date when you will know your opponents. Good luck there, and dont let me down"

"I wont John, i wont."

I have to say we were lucky on the group draw. Maybe ours is the easiest group on the World Cup. My aim is the knockout stage, we have to make it.

View attachment 241341

Unlucky in the African U20's - is always tough managing the international youth sides!

That World Cup draw doesn't look to bad... will be nice to select your own squad as well!

What does your best player look like ability wise?

Im planning to do a preview before the start, and there will be my expected top 3. ;)

PfHsihG.png

View attachment 241131View attachment 241130View attachment 241129

Upleft Adama Guidiala, a 19 years old AM, who plays in Empoli. (9 app. 4 goals)
Upright Cedric Gondo, 18 yo, Striker Fiorentina. (16 app, 4 goals, 1 assist)
Down, Center: Daniel Soungole Soune, 20, DM, Taborsko. (8 app, 2 assists)

View attachment 240617

View attachment 240616

We got the chance to start the group stage against an easy opponent. If we want to advance, we have to take it, and i sent the guys to the park with that in their heads. As i asked, we started the game very well. We took the lead in the 18th minute, and two minutes later, we were already up by two. After the half hour mark after a long shot, we extended our lead to three. In the second half we tried to rest, and we kept our three goal lead until the end.

View attachment 240615

View attachment 240614

China lost their first game by one against Austria, so with a win we could secure our spot in the top two, because Austria will possibly win their game against New Caledonia side. In the 10th minute we lost one of our key men Soune, but we can keep up the pressure on China, and after 38 minutes Kouakou broke the ice. In the 79th minute Ouanni scored after a header, and Sanoh secured the win, and our spot in the knockout stage in the 86th minute.

View attachment 240612

View attachment 240611

The game had no stake at all us. We did what needed, but after our two last games the boys are hungry. Its obvious that we need some rest before the second round game, because we had some problem with condition on the African U20. I used the game for some practice and tried out some guys in new position. In the 17th minute Traoré took us the lead, but two minutes later Pellegrini equalised. Before half-time whistle Austria scored twice, so we were down by two. In the 88th minute Kreuzer scored again, so we lost our last game 1-4.

View attachment 240610

View attachment 240609

Our opponent will be Hungary, my own nation in the Second Round, we can play without any pressure, but its a interesting matchup, and it will be an interesting game.

View attachment 240571

I can say i had the advantage because i know the Hungarian players well. In the 14th minute Koffi took us the lead, and after 20 minutes after a penalty we were up by two. After that the whole game were completely open with so many chance without goal, but in the 90th minute, just before the whistle Thome scored after a free-kick and secured us a comfortable win.

View attachment 240570

With that win, we made history, the Ivorians never been in the Quarter-Finals on the U20 World Cup, and our opponent will be hosts team New-Zealand.

View attachment 240553

The guys have lack of match fitness, so they became tired and tired with every game, so as we go further we have to fight against the tired legs as well, and its always hard against the host. The game didnt started on our favour 1-0 for New Zealand. Two quick goals from Bakayoko gave us the lead, and after 29 minutes we were up by two. 3-1 in the half-time. Right after the restart Bakayoko scored his own third, but almost 10 minutes later the hosts came back to two. We didnt have to wait too much for the next goal, two minutes later Gondo scored, our lead was three again. Nothing happened in the last 30 minutes, the final result: 5-2

View attachment 240552

After a penalty shootout South Korea beat Portugal, so in the Semi-Finals we will meet with the Asians. The other game is an European one where Ukraine meets Germany, but we have to focus on our game.

View attachment 240541

Because of the "long" campaign we picked up some injuries, so three of our key men will miss the rest of our two games, and it hits me hard. After a defensive error the Koreans took the lead in the 21st minute, and we were down by two after 40 minutes. After half-time we came back to one, and after a penalty in the 51st minute it was all draw again. Unfortunately we gifted a penalty in the 72nd minute for the Asians, but 3 minutes before the end of the game we fought our way back to the game. In the extra time we took the lead after three minutes. Right after the start of the second half we were up by two after a long range shot, but 7 minutes later it was a close game again. It was the last moment, after a thrilling game we reached the Final where we meet with Germany.

View attachment 240540

View attachment 240533

We would have an easier job today if we could avoid the extra 30 minutes in the Semi-Final, but we have to do our best, its the World Cup Final, but if we lose i will be completely proud of the guys. Just after 30 seconds we were already down by one, and it became worse after 21 minutes 0-3. They scored another two, and Bakayoko had an answer in the 43rd minute, but it was a knockout in the half-time. We had some nice moments in the second half but Germany played like they came from a different world.

View attachment 240532

All in all we finished on second place and we went further as anyone expected. Bakayoko won Golden Shoe and Golden Ball of the tournament.

"Today we will talk with the Ivorian U20 Manager, Patrik Gregor who led his team into the second place on the World Cup. Hello Patrik."

"Good afternoon everyone!"

"You came from nowhere... You were not on the radar before this world cup, and now we can say youre ready for big things."

"Yeah, i did my job quietly and behind the scenes in Romania, and i know the African U20 Championship is not in the spotlight either."

"But your arriving gave some for Ivory Coast"

"I guess you think about my speech... Well yes, I made some good results in Suceava, but everyone forgot it after my sacking. It was a bad time, and all of that stuff just broke out from me."

"I think theyre happy that youre leading their young players. Lets talk about the World Cup"

"When we arrived we were just happy that we can be here. The guys trully deserved it, but we wanted to make some noise as everyone else."

"You advanced from the group after the second game, and the results shows that was easy."

"I couldnt say that. We started with the easiest game, we picked up the rhythm of the tournament. We expected a tough game against China, because Asian teams are always tough opponents. The last game against Austria was all about enjoying football."

"But after that a heartbreaking draw came..."

"Yes, i had to beat my own nation if i want to advance. It was great to see them that far, its a big achivement for our country."

"In the Quarter-Finals a relatively easy opponent was in your way."

"If you play against the hosts, its always tough. Almost 46000 fan on the stands, and most of them want to see you lose. We can say they had a 12th man on the field."

"But that didnt affect your team and scored five."

"In the first 10 minutes they were really surprised. We conceded a goal, but after that the guys realized thats just another game"

"Semi-Finals against another Asian side"

"Yes, and we had experience against each other. Right after the African U20 Championship we played a friendly with a 2-2 result. I knew that will be a hard game."

"And it became an absolute thriller..."

"When we were down by two i started to give up... But when you step into the dressing room and you can see the fire in your players eyes... You cant say its over. 6 minutes later it was draw again, i think it tells everything about our biggest strength."

"What about the Final?"

"We were outplayed by Germany thats all, but we scored 3 goals in the World Cup Final, and that makes me proud."

"Bakayoko had an incredible tournament.. Golden Ball, and Golden Shoe award goes to him."

"He is a big talent, like everyone in this team. A long road waiting for him, but i wont be surprised if he will be in a top league someday."

"What are your plans now? We can say youre a successful manager."

"Well... I dont have contract with the FIF. I love to work with these guys, but if a good opportunity comes my way i will take it."

"Thank you for your time, and congratulations for the second place."

"Thank you!"

After the World cup, i spent a week on New Zealand for a holiday. I have nothing to do until September, when we will have two friendlies on the beginning of the month, so i travelled back to Hungary. The Hungarian press was wrote so many articles about me, because i was unknown at home as well. My phone rang, John called me.

"Hey buddy! The European leagues are close to the start,and some of them running already, but after you mentioned youre not under contract... You got some offers."

"Woah, thats great John. I have really nothing to do and thats killing me... I feel a new job would be needed and these offers come in handy."

"I have something for you in Finland. TPS already sent me a contract offer. Theyre in the second league and underachieving this season. They were expected around 3rd spot, and with eight games remaining theyre laying down on 8th place only one point clear from the relegation zone."

"So i guess i have to fight against the relegation this season."

"Uhh, the board wants to see the team above mid-table."

"Im watching the table... 4th place just four points away, so we can make it."

"Alright, i tell them youre ready to sign the contract, you just have to go there, and you can start the work."

2015. August

View attachment 240016

MP scored two goals in the first ten minutes, but luckily both of it disallowed by the referee because of offside. It was visible that we need some stability on the midfield because that part of the team was so bad on this game. We had some promising moments on both side. The result is a goalless draw, what is good for us. We need every points, and as a start it can be promising.

View attachment 240015

View attachment 240014

Both team hit the post in the first half. That week meant a lot, our midfield is looking much better on the game, they just have to keep it up. In the 78th minute PK-35 took the lead, but three minutes later Jakonen equalised. I can be proud after this game. The second place came to our home, and they cant took all three points as everyone expected. We are getting better and better with every week.

View attachment 240013

View attachment 240012

On the last game of the month we faced 9th placed FC Jazz. We need all three points so badly, becuase they are two points behind us, and we have to climb on the table if we want to achieve our aim. We started the game well, after 7 minutes we had the lead, and the guys are looked so sharp. A defensive error in the 18th minute gave them the chance to equalise. After the half our mark we lost the ball on our own half, and they scored again. Luckily we came back to the game 3 minutes later, but just before the whistle Lindroos secured them the win.

View attachment 240008

Table

We slide back to the relegation zone. 4th place is still just six points away, but thats too far. Its clear for me that we can hit the top four. Five games left and my goal is to keep the team in the second league... but if we play like we did on our last game, we dont deserve to be here honestly.

When i started this story i wouldnt think that will hit 1k views, especially not that quickly. I appreciate you are reading/following it, and i hope you guys are enjoying as well. :)

2015. The Run Home

On the last day of the transfer window we signed the French striker Adam Nkusu, who is only 21 years old, but i feel he will be a big help in our fight against the relegation.

View attachment 239672

View attachment 239671

I picked Nkusu into the starting 11, after 45 minutes i can say its worth to sign him. It was good to see that he know his role very well just after five days. He scored two in the first half, and he helped so much for his striker partner to create chances as well.In the second half Aalto scored in the 71st minute, just before i subbed him off. His substitution Ainasoja scored in the 88th minute. We needed this game for two reasons. Firstly after our last game we had to bounce back, and secondly we needed some morale boost.

View attachment 239670

View attachment 239669

Our next opponent was the 3rd placed Haka. A win would be a big result against them, and before the game my aim was to bring a point home. The first five minutes was all about attacking, both team tried to take the early lead unsuccesfully. Haka tried to control the game, but in the 40th minute after a corner Nkusu scored again. That goal arrived just in time, they have something to think about in the half-time. Their fans didnt have to wait too much for the answer. Six minutes later the result was all draw again. Nkusu had an another chance to score ten minutes before the end, but after Hrádecky's sent off in the 84th minute we sat back on the result, and take that one point what we wanted.

View attachment 239668

View attachment 239667

With three games remaining JJK is on the 4th place, six points ahead us. This game will decide that we can reach the fourth place what we wanted when im arrived or we have to give it up permanently. We started the game just like against Haka. We almost took the lead in the 14th minute, but the header ended on the crossbar. Nkusu was the one who broke the ice again in the 31st minute. In the last five minutes of the half we hit the post twice again, so it could be a bigger lead after 45. We extended our lead in the 64th minute after JJK's offside trap failed. After that they collapsed and we hit the back of the net twice again.

View attachment 239666

View attachment 239665

The first placed team is coming our home, and honestly a draw would be more than big result. Oulu is dominated the second league first half of the season, but on the last few games they are on a downhill.
I sent the lads out without any pressure because the last game will be more important if the results wont go on our favour this round.Both team had many chance to score, but we cant, while Oulo was capable to do, so we went to the half down by one. In the second half we had so many chance as well, but their defense was to strong for us.

View attachment 239663

We had to watch VIFK's game, because if they cant win, they cant overtake us in the last round. The 1-1 draw means we will be in the second league next season!

View attachment 239661

On the last game we faced last placed, and already relegated PS Kemi. Mathematically we can step up onto the 6th place, but honestly i dont care. Nkusu took us the lead early as i expected, and after 11 minutes we were up by two. Right after the whistle Nkusu scored again after a header. After Kinnunen's sent off Kemi scored in the 87th minute, but we finished the season with a comfortable win.

View attachment 239660

Table

We finished on the 8th place, far below the expectations, but i can be pleased. It wasnt easy to avoid the relegation, but we did it. The next season starts on the end of April, but im starting the preparations already. I have to make the squad stronger, and i have almost 6 months for it.

View attachment 239657

Good work avoiding the drop! You were only 2 points off 5th place, with a better goal difference.

With the right additions to the squad, I think you have a chance of top 3 next season :)

Thank You!
The club has some financial problems, but we have some promising youth talents. I will have a brand new squad next year, so i will have to choose wisely. :)

Last edited:
Signings

After the end of the season i let the players and the staff for a short holiday, because i planned a long preseason. The league starts on the end of April, but for us the season will start with the 3rd Round of the Finnish Cup, and i have to be sure that the players will be ready until that, so i call them back early December and we started the preparations.

While the players were on the training ground with the coaches i had several meeting with the scouts. We called so many players for trial to see how they work with the team. On the end we signed five players, made the squad younger, and i believe there will be healthy competition for each spot in the starting 11.

View attachment 236655

Jani Backman is a 27 years old Central Defender, who came from first league side HIFK for free. He played 10 games last season, but mostly he played with the reserves. I believe he can show his skills here in the second league and give some stability for our back four, if he is on the field.

View attachment 236652

Atte Hoivala is 24 years old Right Back. He came from lower side MYPA, after his contract expired. He has really great potencial, if he improves as i wait he will one of our biggest stars.

View attachment 236651

Haci Cicek came to the midfield and only 21 years old. Spent the last season in loan with a lower league Turkish team. He is the man of the future, he will get some games in the league, but i think he will play with the reserves mostly this season.

View attachment 236650

Lucas Pessanha is a 24 years old Brazilian striker. On the end of the last season Nkusu was our only scorer and i needed some addition if he is struggling. His skills are looking great, and i think he will score some goals in our campaign.

View attachment 236649

Samuli Kaivonurmi is a 24 years old Finnish striker. He spent the last season in the first league with KTP. On 16 appearence he scored 6 goals. As i think now he can be Nkusu's pair in the starting 11, but i can't be sure before the end of the preseason.

The preseason is already stared, as we started to play our preseason friendlies, and we already know our Finnish cup opponent, who will be lower league side TUS. We still have a whole month for prepare this game.

After the morning training Oskari Forsman wanted to talk with me, so i called him into my office.

"Take a seat Oskari. What is the problem?"

"Boss, i have slight concerns about the size of our squad, i think we need deeper squad if want to achieve something in this season."

"Maybe you are right, but i think the depth of the squad is just fine, i dont want to bring more players here"

"I disagree, i believe the deeper squad would be better."

"Listen Oskari, our youth system is quite great, we have some promising players who will get the opportunity if its needed, just dont worry"

"As i can see youre rebuilding the squad, but i dont have time for it... These are my best years."

"What do you want exactly?"

"I dont want to waste my time here in this case, so i just ask you to let me negotiate if an opportunity comes."

"Alright Oskari, if someone pay a fair price for you, i wont stand to your way."

"Thanks boss, i really appreciate it."

I have to say that hurts to let him go. He is one of our best players, and gives stability for the whole team. The main reason why i let him go is that the board wants to see a harmonic squad, and i cant risk his morale dropping because of our disagreement. Its a big risk to sell him as well, but i still think its a smaller risk, but only time can tell.

A week later our league rival offered a fair price for him, and as i promised i let him talk with them. They agreed, so we lost our first keeper 5 days before the Cup game.

View attachment 236426

After our meeting i started to look after a possible replacement, and the best candidate is a 24 years old keeper from Netherlands, named Yannick Derix. Three days after Forsman's departure Derix signed his contract.

View attachment 236424

2016 Preseason/March

With the third round of the Finnish Cup our season has been started, but from the start of February we played some friendlies to be prepared for the long campaign.

View attachment 236383

A win against lower side Atlantis, a draw against a Swedish second league team, just like against the actual Finnish champions HJK. We finished the preseason with a loss against First leage side SJK.

View attachment 236381

It starts again. We got a relatively easy opponent TUS in the Third Round. The half of the team is completely new, and i have to admit that we are not ready yet. It took more than 60 minutes to break their defense, when our new signing, Lucas Pessanha scored on his debut. 5 minutes later we extended our lead, but the TUS' fans didnt have to wait too long for their team first goal in the season. In the 82nd minute another debutant, Juha Lehtovaara scored as well. He is only 17 years old, and looks very promising. In the extra time Pessanha scored his second, and that was the last moment of the game.

View attachment 236380

View attachment 236379

In the Fourth Round of the Cup we faced league rivals MP. We are unbeaten against them and that was a good sign before the game. The game started slowly, both teams are still in their preseason form. Autio took the lead for MP after 26 minutes, but Pessanha continued where he left off, and equalised in the 38th minute. We were struggling in the second 45, so we had to play 30 more minutes. Pessanha scored twice in the first 15 minutes of the extra time, and finished the game with a hat-trick.

View attachment 236378