From War To Success - Shaawary's Story

bigvic67

Reaction score

View attachment 219477

My Family and I were all lined up, facing the living areas wall, We were held at g
unpoint by Gaddaffi's men. I could hear screams from every direction, then gunshots, and more screams. I turned round too see what was happening, when a man in military uniform hit me across the temporal, and knocked me unconscious. I woke up minutes later, and still my family where at gunpoint. I heard more screams and more gunshots. I was terrified, death was staring at me straight in the face. Then all of a sudden, A huge burst of gunfire came from nowhere, breaking the windows in our home, but killing all 3 of the soldiers, I rose from the floor, too see a NATO tank and soliders approaching our home. We were saved i thought to myself. Me and my family were rescued, and were re-located to a refugee camp in Morocco, from which we escaped from. And ended up here, in Montpellier, France. In a new co
untry, it was time for a new start, no more war. It was time to do something with my life, leave a legacy. Somewhere, somehow...

Last edited:

View attachment 219478

I've been in Montpellier for 6 months now, i'm pretty fluent in the lang
uage now. I recently took some coaching courses over at the Montpellier HSC training facilities, I have been to watch them a couple of times if there has been nothing to do, they're a really talented bunch with lots of potential, but even I know that the manager isn't using the teams strengths properly. I have settled really quickly over here, a lot quicker than i expected. I have a small job in a 5 star restaurant in the square. The pay is pretty good compared to back home, it does for just now. But i haven't been able to leave any legacy anywhere yet ...

View attachment 219479View attachment 219480View attachment 219481

Last edited:

View attachment 219476
I'm just back from my latest coaching course over at the training gro
und, I got my Uefa A badge, which means i could manage any professional team in Europe, i'm so proud of myself. I was staring death in the face only 9 months ago in Libya, but now i can dream about doing something i have always dreamed of, becoming the manager of a football team. I did take the local team before Gaddaffi's forces got a little out of hand and destroyed our pitch, We were probably the best team in Libya, and at 26 years old i was considered one of Africa's hottest prospects. But when war broke out I was totally forgotten about. I haven't applied for any jobs as of yet, but the future is looking bright and i may be able to leave a legacy somewhere after all ..

Last edited:

View attachment 219340

View attachment 219346
"The Cl
ub and I are in different places"

"Montpellier Hera
ult SC are saddened to announce, that manager Rene Girard has resigned as manager of the club, revealing he thinks himself and the board are in different places. In a statement made this morning, Club chairman Louis Nicollin stated "We are deeply saddened by the resignation of Rene Girard, but the relationship between manager and board has been deteriorating slowly over a period of time and both parties have decided to go their separate ways. All applicants for the vacancy will be strongly considered and would welcome anyone qualified for the job, The only way is up for Montpellier"

I was j
ust having a quick look too see who Montpellier where playing in pre-season friendlies over the summer, when I stumbled upon this in the home page, I was shocked. Reme led the lads to a solid finish last season, but i guess that's football. Then a though appeared "apply for the job, you have nothing to lose" So, i got an application form and filled in my CV, although there was nothing there. I have no chance i thought. But i put a brave face on and sent it off ...

I just returned to my apartment, after a long day at the restaurant. When my phone rang, it was an unknown number. I reluctantly answered...

View attachment 219347

"hello"
"hi, there, is this Akhmed Hansoon-Shaarawy?"
"yes, who is calling please?"
"My name is Roger Prouget, I am a director at Montpellier"
"oh hi there, is this about my application for the managers job?"
"yes, despite a lack of experience I would really like to give you a chance, so how would you like to come in for an interview"
"That would be fantastic"
"If you could come to the stadium tomorrow, at 3pm. I'll be there waiting for you. The other board members think i'm crazy but i believe in you. Don't let me down"

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, This is my chance. I burst into tears, my dreams were coming true. And thinking about where i was a year ago, to now is really hard to take in. I'm off to the tailors to get myself a new suit. First impressions are everything.

View attachment 219349

View attachment 219351

I arrived at Stade De La Masson at around half past 2, and was greeted by the man who had phoned me the previous day, Roger Prouget - One of the directors at the club

View attachment 219352

"You must be Louis"
"Ah Mr Shaarawy, How are you?"
"Please, call me Akhmed, I'm very nervous, this is the biggest day of my life"
"You will do just fine, now come inside and wait here"

I was shown to a seat by the lovely cl
ub secretary, who was a regular at the restaurant i worked in. In the same room as me where 2 people I had seen before, but couldn't name their faces. It turns out one was the manager of Nancy, and the other the Rennes. Both seemed confused as to why I was there, and not a single word was said, just awkward silence which stressed me out even more. I was the last to be called in. The sweat was dripping from my face, i was so nervo
us.

View attachment 219357

"mr Shaaraway, how nice of yo
u to come and meet us"
"The pleasure is all mine sir"
"So, What do you think you would bring to our great club?"
"In one word...TROPHIES"
"We all share your enthusiasm in this instance, If you were to be appointed as Head Coach, Where do you see our club in 5 years time?"
"If i am honest sir, I could see us having a 80,000 stadium with world class training facilities for senior and youth players, with a fantastic youth recruitment system. And of course, to have that trophy cabinet filled"
"Wow! i wasn't expecting that. You are a very ambitious man, I like you Akhmed, You have something the other managers don't have. But i don't quite yet know what it is. We'll be in touch Mr Shaarawy.
"Thank you Mr chairman, i hope to hear from you soon.

I thought the interview went fantisticly, but i'm not sure whether they took me seriously or not, maybe i was being a little unrealistic with the eighty thousand capacity stadium and the world class youth facilities. But i do strongly believe this can be achieved. I want Montpellier to go places, they are the first football club I've ever loved. It would mean so much to be able to be head coach and show fans how I like football being played.

View attachment 219363View attachment 219364View attachment 219365
WHO WILL BE THE NEXT MONTPELLIER MANAGER ?

View attachment 219486

I had j
ust started my shift at the restaurant, I had been acting weird lately, or so everybody said. I hadn't heard from the guys at Montpellier for over 2 weeks now, and the anxiety was finally kicking in, When all of a sudden my mobile started ringing.

View attachment 219485

"hello"
"hello, Akhmed. It's Roger"
"oh Roger, are yo
u ringing to tell me the bad news?"
"no Akhmed, yo
u got the job. You are the new manager of Montpellier Herault SC. And may i add yo
u deserve it, well done son."

I hung up the phone in disbelief, it surely was a prank. The phone rang seconds later, and the only words spoken where :

"Be at the training gro
und tomorrow at 9am, don't be late"

Maybe it wasn't a joke, this was reality. I, Akhmed Hansoon-Shaarawy am the new manager of Montpellier. These words kept ringing in my ear. Til it finally clicked "I am the new manager of Montpellier HSC" Tears of joy and disbelief started strolling down my cheek, i am an emotional man, after all thats happened this year, to end up here is nothing short of a miracle. The only thing was, I had noone to share this moment with. My brothers and sisters live in Spain, and both parents never made it out of Morocco. I was lonely in a big city ... But the whole city will be behind me when we are the best in Europe.

View attachment 219487

View attachment 219501

Montpellier anno
unce unknown manager

View attachment 219502
View attachment 219503
Akhmed Hansoon-Shaawary​

Montpellier today announced Libyan rookie manager Akhmed Hansoon-Shaawary as Head Coach, replacing Rene Girard who left after a bust up with the board. Protests against the appointment are already underway as fans are gathering o
utside Stade de la mosson. Just a couple of hours after a two year deal was signed. A club spokesperson says "We aren't happy at all with his appointment, noone has ever heard of him. We are an ambitious club, but it looks like the board have went with the cheapest option, this is 5 steps backwards for the club. These protests will go on and on, til he finally resigns or the board wakes up" Shaawary turned up at the clubs training ground too see just over 2000 angry protestors. And now all have turned their attention to the stadi
um and are now against the board. Akhmed's first press conference will be at 3pm.

View attachment 219504

nice start look forward to this montpellier are not a bad side they took my lille team close in a league game

Shaawary's First press conference as Montpellier Head Coach

View attachment 219505

"Mr Shaawary, you sit here as new manager of Montpellier, How does it feel ?"

"It is an unbelievable feeling, it's s
uch an honour to be here today"

"The s
upporters of the club don't seem to be happy about your appointment, how will you try and get them on your side?"

"It's easy, bring them trophies home. Get the cl
ub reputation up, give fans something to cheer, and entertain them with an attractive brand of football"

"Yo
u lack experience in this field of the game, Will it take you a while to settle?"

"not at all, i plan on hitting the gro
und running and winning as many games as possible, in the shortest space of time possible"

"How will yo
u go about things when it comes to the transfer market?"

"The board and myself haven't yet set an initial b
udget for players to bring in, but i will look to bring in some players with experience, but also some fantastic youth prospects for the the future"

"What are the minim
um expectations for your first season in charge?"

"I wo
uld like a top 10 finish, but to finish in a European place would be magnificent, a good run in the cup would also be a dream.

"This is yo
ur first big job in management, You must be very grateful to the board regarding your appointment"

"Yes, this is the best thing to ever happen to me, i will forever be gratef
ul. And its my job to pay them back for it"

"Co
uld you give us a short background about yourself and personal life?"

"well I am from Libya, i was at gunpoint only a year ago by Gaddafi's forces. Then we were saved and taken to a refugee camp in Morocco, from which I escaped with my brothers and sisters. Then i ended up here, I was working in a
restaurant to pay my rent and bills. Football wise i coached a team in Libya, but the military destroyed our pitch. We were probably the best in the country. Now i am here, Manager of Montpellier, it's nothing short of a miracle. Its really hard to take it all in"

The press officer then intervened
"that will be all for today thanks"

Pre-Seaon at Montpellier

2.7.11v
Winterthur
View attachment 219527
"Selected a weak team for this friendly, despite the opposition have more of the possesion, we were better in every other aspect of the game. We managed to score 3 great goals aswell. Left Swizterland a happy man.

6.7.11 v Berchem
View attachment 219528

"Played a m
uch stronger side in Belgium, Dominated every aspect of the game, very proud of the lads today. We deserved all 7 goals

12.7.11 v Feyenoord
View attachment 219529
"up against class opposition, but what a result. The lads were absolutely fantastic, also it was our first game at home. The fans are the best i've heard. Went back to my apartment buzzing. What a night !

14.7.11 v PAOK
View attachment 219530

Played another really good team, b
ut the team stepped up another gear with another amazing performance. Kept the ball fantasticly all game, very disappointed with the goal we gave away though. Still exstatic with the result.

22.7.11 v Estudiantes
View attachment 219531
"up against a hard working Estudiantes team, we once again dominated the match i most aspects of the game. Some superb passing and top class finishing sealed the win for us.

TRANSFERS

We were pretty b
usy during the transfer market, bringing in 6 players, and offloading 6 players.

In: Pierre Wome - lwb - free
Biel Ribas - Gk - free
Luis Ernesto Perez - cm - 3.6 million
Samdi Salihi - ST - 4.6 Million
Jonny Magalon - CB - 3.7 million
Szabolcs H
uzsti - AML - Loan fee 350k7

O
ut: Joris Marveaux - Leicester - 2.2 million
Souleymane Camara - Vitesse - 2.4 million
Benjamin Stambouli - FC Metz - Loan
Cyril Je
unechamp - Novara - 130k
Gregory Lacombe - Novara - 725k
John
utaka - wolfsburg - 2.5 million

Some pretty good business during the transfer window. Happy with all players who came and went.

View attachment 219535

Last edited:
First Competitive Game in Charge

View attachment 219548View attachment 219549View attachment 219550

View attachment 219551
View attachment 219552
STADE DE LA MOSSON

Both teams lined in the tunnel, the pressure started to get to me. I was sweating, alot. The noise coming from the fans was incredible, then the referee ordered the players onto the pitch. A friendly handshake between me and the man I beat to the job and i went to my dugo
ut. And the game kicked off ...

6.8.2011 v A
uxerre
Stade de la mosson
View attachment 219553

"Wow, what a result. So proud of every single player who took part in this memorable victory, we were dominant from the first whistle. The fans were also amazing, i think they are starting to get right behind me as their beloved clubs manager. It was a great day to be associated with Montpellier"

Rest of
August Report

14.8.11 v lille (A)
View attachment 219557
"to beat the champions of France on their own turf is absolutely amazing, an achievement in its own. We played some superb stuff right from kick off, I am raging at the referees decision to send one of my players off for next to nothing, it was a poor decision. 6 points from 6. Superb start !

21.8.2011 v Rennais
View attachment 219558
"it was a pretty even game at our home ground, but it was an excellent victory, despite not playing at our best we still managed the victory, Giroud was superb this afternoon. And rounded his performance off with a magnificent finish from 35 yards. A clean sheet is also very pleasing, the defence has been a rock so far.

27.8.11 v Lyon
View attachment 219559

"What a result!!! I wasn't expecting anything from this game, but the lads gave it their all and it paid off. I played a 4-3-3 to have a right go at the Lyon defence and it worked. Younes gave a special performance, one of those you get once or twice a season. He was magificent. The clean sheet was a bonus.

30.8.11 v A
uxerre (coupe de la ligue 3rd round)
View attachment 219560
"Shocking performance today, but at least there are still hopes of a cup run. Auxerre deserved the victory but a lucky own goal puts us into the 4th round of the cup

It has been a fantastic month for the club. Sitting at the top of the table after 4 games. And we are in the 4th round of the c
up.

Player of the month : Mapou Yanga Mbiwa
View attachment 219561

SEPTEMBER REPORT

11.9.11 v OGC Nice
View attachment 219577
"we were no where near our best today, we had quite a lot of possesion throughout the match, Couldn't complain about the goal they scored. 25 yard screamer right in the top corner. We played some pleasing stuff. But best of all remain unbeaten in all competitions.

17.9.2011 v stade brestois 29
View attachment 219580
"we defeated a very hard working Brest team, very shaky start and they took full advantage as they took the lead after 4 minutes, then we started to play our football and we were helped on the way when they got a man sent off. We scored 2 great team goals and one excellent individual goal. Overall a great day at the office.

21.9.11 - AC Ajaccio
View attachment 219585
"An excellent victory as we glided through the match without any problems. We dominated the whole 90 minutes with numerous attempts on goal, the football we played was superb at times and it couldn't have went better.

24.9.11 - PSG
View attachment 219586
"Next was big spenders PSG, what an amazing scoreline, their Arab based owner has invested millions already but no money could buy this victory, it was a stunning performance from every one of the lads. I am so proud of them, we went at them from the off and played with an attacking mentality and it worked

We still haven't been beaten in any of the domestic competitions, yet another month of fantastic scorelines and performances. I hope there is more to come!

Player of the month: Mapo
u Yanga Mbiwa
View attachment 219587

OCTOBER REPORT

1.10.11 v
Bordeaux
View attachment 219588
"really starting to believe we are amongst the best teams in France, managed to beat all the big names in the league. We weren't great today but managed to pull of a victory and a clean sheet, that's the sign of champions (managing to win games despite not being at the top of their game)

15.10.11 v Dijon
View attachment 219593
"The scoreline doesn't tell the story of the actual match, we should have won maybe 6 or 7-1. Dijon were very poor defensively and going forward. But we let them off the hook. our finishing was very poor. 3 points is the most important thing. Still got a 100% record in the league.

22.10.11 v Caen
View attachment 219594
"Worst performance of the season by a long way. Our passing wasn't crisp, it was very flat indeed. We missed many sitters. And worst of all, they got a man sent of early in the first half. Which shouldv'e spurred the lads on. Still we remain at the top of the table, but I returned home very disappointed"

26.10.11 - Lille (
coupe de ligue 4th round)
View attachment 219600
"very tight match in the cup, we had alot of the possesion but some solid Lille defending see some chance go astray. I encountered my first penalty shoot-out as a manager, and i didn't like it. I was so nervous i never watched it. But nevertheless i am delighted we are through..

29.10.11 v Nancy
View attachment 219605
"We thoroughly deserved this victory, we knocked it about well and scored some fantastic goals, the Nancy goal was completely avoidable and that was today's only fault.

Another fantastic month in charge here, still top of the table and loving life here at the Stade de la Mosson.

Player of the month : Garry Bocaly

View attachment 219606

Really nice story, I like the free signings you got!
If my team were a bit richer, and Mbiwa were a bit better passing player, I might've bought him. But I'm trying to get a more technical team. A nice read, and good luck!

Really nice story, I like the free signings you got!
If my team were a bit richer, and Mbiwa were a bit better passing player, I might've bought him. But I'm trying to get a more technical team. A nice read, and good luck!

his personal training regime is currently passing, so hopefully he will be technically sound in the future

November Reports

6.11.11 v Saint-Etienne
View attachment 219629
"Really good performance today, Saint-Etienne put up a very good fight and made it difficult for us at times. Tried a new tactic in a 4-2-3-1 and it worked pretty well. Won't be sticking with it though

19.11.11 v Marseille

View attachment 219633
"Fantastic performance from the lads today, despite having the less possession, we used the ball well when we had it, The never say die attitude also looks to have finally been installed into the players.

27.11.11 v Sochaux
View attachment 219635
"Really had to fight for the 3 points today, sochaux dominated for most of the match, They played some great stuff. That Marvin Martin is an oustanding talent, he bossed the midfield and controlled the tempo of the game. I will need to send scouts out to keep a close eye on him.."

100% record this month, some really hard fought
victories. Seen some players i sho
uld make an attempt to sign during the transfer window in January. Half o
ur lads are away to Africa.

Player of the month : Mapo
u Yanga Mbiwa
View attachment 219639