Rangers facing UEFA charge

TrueBlue x

Reaction score
UEFA has confirmed Rangers face disciplinary action over alleged discriminatory chanting.

martinbaindisastermemorial20110103_275x155.jpg
Martin Bain feels Rangers have been unfairly singled out

The club's fans have been reported for chants during their Europa League last-16 first-leg tie against PSV Eindhoven on March 10. A UEFA spokesman said: "There is a disciplinary case open against Rangers. It will be discussed on April 28 by the control and disciplinary committee in Nyon."

Rangers get action taken against them when they chant songs which may be classed as sectarianism, but why didnt Celtic get punished when they chant sectarian songs eg. chanting " up the ra " at the Emirates Pre-season ?

Not a very good report on the story mate... Basically you have made this to single out why celtic haven't been punished. No offence but your giving rangers fans a bad name by just using the above.

The Official story from Scottish News paper: The daily Record. (In the spoiler.)

RANGERS fans are set to be hammered with a three-match Euro ban for singing sectarian songs.

Last night Ibrox chiefs were also bracing themselves for a "heavy" fine which could be as much as s100,000.

And there are now also fears that UEFA's determination to clamp down on Rangers' bigots could further delay, if not derail entirely, Craig Whyte's s25 million buy-out.

UEFA have told Rangers to expect the penalties because of sectarian songs and chants which the governing body claim were belted out during the Europa League match against PSV in Eindhoven on March 10.

The Ibrox club have until next Thursday to submit their defence - the hearing will be held in Nyon two weeks later - if they are to have any chance of avoiding a FOURTH European sanction.

But a UEFA source, who confirmed Gers had been pulled up again, also said it was unlikely the club could escape punishment.

Rangers only discovered they were in trouble yesterday and when contacted by Record Sport, beleaguered chief executive Martin Bain spoke of his "utter dismay".

But he stressed the Ibrox club would be defending their position "vigorously".

Rangers will try once again to convince UEFA they have done all they can to rid themselves of the bigots but it is almost certain all their fans will be banned from the next three away matches in Europe.

The club were fined s13,000 for discriminatory chanting and s9,000 for an attack on Villarreal's team bus in 2006.

UEFA also demanded they pay s8,280 after a UEFA Cup tie against Osasuna in March 2007 with the Spanish club receiving a s31,000 fine because of poor organisation.

Then, in November 2009, the club were fined s18,000 after a Champions League match against Unirea Urziceni in Romania. Again the home side were also fined (s7,200) for poor organisation.

A UEFA spokesman said last night: "For this kind of behaviour and the number of offences which is repeated the fine could be heavy - as much as 150,000 Swiss francs."

Bain said: "We are utterly dismayed to be informed by UEFA that they are to take disciplinary action. We will defend the club's position vigorously.

"UEFA have made clear in any previous disciplinary hearings that sanctions have been mitigated by the extensive work the club does to tackle sectarianism.

"We are not saying there is not a problem but we are saying that for many years we have made strenuous attempts to address it. We do, however, believe it is absurd to think only Rangers supporters sing offensive or sectarian songs. We are left to conclude there is a disproportionate focus on us.

"It has also become clear there are people who have been determined to undermine our club at any cost and have constantly lobbied for action against Rangers."

Rangers can point to their Euro record this season which will show five trips with no arrests for sectarian or discriminatory behaviour. They will also point out that they've been given a clean bill of health all season from delegates and security officers who have been specifically briefed by UEFA to look out for sectarian singing.

It is also believed they have letters from Greater Manchester Police and the British Vice Consul in Valencia praising behaviour.

The club will also question UEFA over whether or not they act on reports submitted by people other than official delegates and police but stress they won't be attempting to say they aren't tracked around Europe by morons.

This deranged and also dangerous element have refused to believe UEFA were prepared to take more serious action but they are now about to experience that reality.

The man trying to buy Rangers from David Murray will also have been given a reality check. Last week Whyte discovered there was an outstanding tax bill of almost s3m and now he finds the club he wants to own is in big bother with UEFA.

Should Whyte say, "no thanks" the consequences for Rangers could be much more serious than anything UEFA might throw at them.

I am led to believed on the Rangers Home | Home | Rangers that we will be fighting our case. Personally I don't know what the sectarian singing was so i can't say whether its deserved or not, In my personal opinion I can see why it would happen in Old Firm games but in any other games I don't know why however I dont see why UEFA delegates are watching this match to pick out sectarian singing as it is Rangers vs Psv - I'm not going to sit and say were being singled out.

The one question I ask and something I'm confused about is Rangers get punished for using words such as Fenian. Aimed towards Celtic fans however I don't understand why Celtic aren't punished for being Sectarian towards themselves ? As Celtic and Rangers fans will know Celtic Sing a chant about Northern Irish Player Paddy McCourt which the words are chanted "Paddy Mccourts Fenian Army"

So Rangers fans are punished for this slogan/chant/term call it what you may and many Celtic fans would complain about it being used to have our club punished yet they chant that song on matchdays so Why are they allowed to use the Derogitory word yet any other club get punished for it. However as I said I'm not sure exactly what were being punished for and the club will be fighting it.

But really this is a non story, I read it briefly in the paper and threw it down because I'm sure every every rangers fan only wants to see exactly what I want to see and thats why I never read it. I only want to see Rangers takeover complete. I don't want to pay attention to anything else until this deal is complete as its really make or break for my club!

Last edited:
Definition of fenian : A legendary Irish warrior from the 3rd and 4th centuries.
OR
A member of the fenian brotherhood who conspired against British rule.

I'm assuming that it's the Billy Boys that UEFA have their problems with, and in all seriousness, whilst it might not be the nicest song in the world, it certainly isn't sectarian. The only word that can be remotely described as sectarian in that song, is fenian, and fenian does NOT mean catholic. The song has never been challenged in court, and I reckon any court in the land would laugh it out, it's political, which the Celtic fans have used as a cop out for their IRA ditties for years.

Credit to Martin Bain as well, he's been accused of lying down before, and rightfully so, but he's came out fighting here. Hopefully UEFA come to the right decision.

Also seems weird that whenever theres a good story about Rangers, it's followed by a whole stack of negative stories, but then what to expect when cretins like Graham Speirs and Phil Mcgillivan are employed in Scottish media, as their sole aim is to undermine Rangers.

Republican songs are not sectarian they are political so that has nothing to do with anything tbh.

Bains attitude is pretty disgusting tbh. He is admitting that they are guilty but trying to pass it off as everyone does it.

Personally I don't know what the sectarian singing was so i can't say whether its deserved or not, In my personal opinion I can see why it would happen in Old Firm games but in any other games I don't know why
This

The one question I ask and something I'm confused about is Rangers get punished for using words such as Fenian. Aimed towards Celtic fans however I don't understand why Celtic aren't punished for being Sectarian towards themselves ? As Celtic and Rangers fans will know Celtic Sing a chant about Northern Irish Player Paddy McCourt which the words are chanted "Paddy Mccourts Fenian Army"

So Rangers fans are punished for this slogan/chant/term call it what you may and many Celtic fans would complain about it being used to have our club punished yet they chant that song on matchdays so Why are they allowed to use the Derogitory word yet any other club get punished for it.
Seems to be in the same boat as "******" black people can casually use it but if a white person says it then they are racist. Personally im not offended by Fenian at all. Fenian and proud tbh.

Republican songs are not sectarian they are political so that has nothing to do with anything tbh.

Bains attitude is pretty disgusting tbh. He is admitting that they are guilty but trying to pass it off as everyone does it.

This

Seems to be in the same boat as "******" black people can casually use it but if a white person says it then they are racist. Personally im not offended by Fenian at all. Fenian and proud tbh.

Please explain why then, it's ok for Spurs fans to racially abuse Adebayor, it's ok for Russian clubs to victimise black players, ok for Celtic to sing in support of an organisations that killed thousands of people, but Rangers fans sung a naughty song so we'll make an example of them ?

The club itself, can do no more than they have already done to kick the bigots out. Tbh, for me it's the easily offended brigade, that are ruining football. The songs that I can think of, are hardly the most viscious you'll ever hear, and I doubt you'll be tossing and turning in your sleep as a result of them being aired.

Bain is right to fight this, a **** of a lot worse goes on in italy, russia over racist chants in european games, yet **** all is done. Why pick on Rangers

I watched the game; I clearly heard the famine song & Billy Boys. Not that I am condoning this but I think it’s harsh, considering what a lot of European sides have escaped punishment for.

I watched the game; I clearly heard the famine song & Billy Boys. Not that I am condoning this but I think it’s harsh, considering what a lot of European sides have escaped punishment for.

UEFA picking an easy target, rather than trying to fight the deep-rooted problems in others

Exactly, I wouldn't complain about the punishment, However there are far more worse things that happen in football than sectarian singing such as one rule that was supposed to be implemented was that the use of flares in football grounds are banned and teams will be punished yet I have still seen flares in the ground and nothing has been done about it. Yes there is a sectarian bitterness so to speak in the old firm clubs but the one thing I look at is at least our fans are well behaved enough to watch games without sitting behind cages and fences like so many clubs have done before. To be honest I think the sectarianism in old firm games gives it the atmosphere its just part of living life in glasgow tbh.

@Shay I do understand and agree with your point about the racist part and also I don't get offended when being called an orange ******* or hun or anything because really most of the people who shout these things are either plastic supporters, people I don't care what they think of me and people who don't actually know what they mean. Such as for people to call me and Orange ******* is wrong because I am not a member of the Loyal Orange Lodge so therefore I am not an orangeman. And personally I think the famine song and the song go on home british soldiers are to the same effect. The songs are implementing that the people do not belong in the country and so on. But as I said already Rangers have more problems to worry about than having to play 3 matches without fans. way down on my worry list at the moment. But yes we are being harshly treated although it is 4 instances in the period of 5 years we don't help ourselves really.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

UEFA picking an easy target, rather than trying to fight the deep-rooted problems in others

And yes exactly, rather than sorting the real problems out in football.

Please explain why then, it's ok for Spurs fans to racially abuse Adebayor, it's ok for Russian clubs to victimise black players, ok for Celtic to sing in support of an organisations that killed thousands of people, but Rangers fans sung a naughty song so we'll make an example of them ?
It is not okay for any one to be abused because of there race, colour, religion or nationality. If any other clubs are found doing this they will be charged. Rangers have a history of it in Europe, im sure that didnt help them. Bains tried to shift the blame rather than accept responsibility which is wrong imo. As for the IRA, dont post about something you clearly have no clue about and stay on topic.

The club itself, can do no more than they have already done to kick the bigots out. Tbh, for me it's the easily offended brigade, that are ruining football. The songs that I can think of, are hardly the most viscious you'll ever hear, and I doubt you'll be tossing and turning in your sleep as a result of them being aired.
Maybe the Idiots will see they are doing there club more harm than and quit? unlikely I know but action still has to be taken.

No Pope in Rome, The Famine Song, Billy Boys(Up to our knees in Fenian Blood)
Pretty bad songs tbh.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Although others should be picked up on it as well, Rangers dont make it easy for themselves. They have history over the last few years.
What makes them an easy target?

It is not okay for any one to be abused because of there race, colour, religion or nationality. If any other clubs are found doing this they will be charged. Rangers have a history of it in Europe, im sure that didnt help them. Bains tried to shift the blame rather than accept responsibility which is wrong imo. As for the IRA, dont post about something you clearly have no clue about and stay on topic.

Maybe the Idiots will see they are doing there club more harm than and quit? unlikely I know but action still has to be taken.

No Pope in Rome, The Famine Song, Billy Boys(Up to our knees in Fenian Blood)
Pretty bad songs tbh.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Although others should be picked up on it as well, Rangers dont make it easy for themselves. They have history over the last few years.
What makes them an easy target?

shay do you watch european football? because it happens very very obviously all the time, take a look at the banner that Loco did for odemwinge

Rangers are an easy target, because Scotland is a small on the footballing stage. Image the UEFA trying t give out record fines and bans and such to italy/russia. Rangers are being picked on for a stuff that isnt even as bad as everything else thats going on, that UEFA turn a blind eye to

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

Rangers are getting hammered while trying to stamp it out

The russian federation turns a blind a eye to endemic racism and homophobic problems, yet UEFA say nothing

Same on italy and its racism

Last edited:
shay do you watch european football? because it happens very very obviously all the time, take a look at the banner that zenit did for odemwinge

Rangers are an easy target, because Scotland is a small on the footballing stage. Image the FA trying t give out record fines and bans and such to italy/russia. Rangers are being picked on for a stuff that isnt even as bad as everything else thats going on, that UEA turn a blind eye to
yes I do, but there is no point in deflecting the blame. All clubs should be treated the same and prosecuted if found guilty. He is disputing it because others havent been charged yet. I disagree with you saying it isnt as bad as others. All racism etc. is just as bad.

BTW Loco Moscow didnt even get a fine for that

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

yes I do, but there is no point in deflecting the blame. All clubs should be treated the same and prosecuted if found guilty. I disagree with you saying it isnt as bad as others. All racism etc. is just as bad.

you missed my point:

The russian federation turns a blind a eye to endemic racism and homophobic problems, yet UEFA say nothing

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Thats what bains is fighting, not the punishment but the inconsistency in chasing them and not others

The stamping out done by Celtic/Rangers and the SFA is very very poor atm. They say they are doing it yet they arent showing results to back this up.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

you missed my point:

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Thats what bains is fighting, not the punishment but the inconsistency in chasing them and not others

This, and the fact the Rangers support is one of the most divided in Europe, coupled with the fact we have a whole lot more to worry about than a sanction from UEFA, makes us a very vulnerable target.

you missed my point:

But Rangers shouldnt be excused because others havent been prosecuted. He should be fighting for others to receive there punishments if he feels like that.
Two wrongs dont make a right.

But Rangers shouldnt be excused because others havent been prosecuted. He should be fighting for others to receive there punishments if he feels like that.
Two wrongs dont make a right.

I agree with you 100%. I don't think either side of the OF are doing enough to stop it. Lennon & McCoist going at it or the Brown/Diouf thing hasn't helped either.

The stamping out done by Celtic/Rangers and the SFA is very very poor atm. They say they are doing it yet they arent showing results to back this up.

that i agree with, and dont take my stance for condoning it, but this is bit of a cop out from UEFA, an easy way to look like they are coming down on it, without going for the bigger fish

Personally I think Rangers and Celtic have both came a long long way in stamping out the sectariansim tbh. If you think about the way it used to be before it was tried to be stamped out it was coming from all sections of the ground now it only happens from a minority. Personally I think the old firm should be praised for their efforts because the amount we have stamped out is pretty remarkable considering both clubs are filled with bigotry and hatred towards each other on and off the field from supporters during old firm days. You can see the improvement we have made over the years. But I do agree we don't help ourselves with it, and people do get away with alot worse.

Not a very good report on the story mate... Basically you have made this to single out why celtic have been punished. No offence but your giving rangers fans a bad name by just using the above.

The Official story from Scottish News paper: The daily Record. (In the spoiler.)

RANGERS fans are set to be hammered with a three-match Euro ban for singing sectarian songs.

Last night Ibrox chiefs were also bracing themselves for a "heavy" fine which could be as much as s10

OK when did i say Celtic were being punished ? , and how am i giving Rangers fans a bad name , i didnt say i was condoning the chants did I ? and The Billy Boys ISNT sectarian

Last edited: