Rangers suffer shock defeat as title run-in begins

Who will win the SPL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pistolped7

Reaction score
Dundee United came from behind to win at Ibrox and deny Rangers the chance of going top of the Scottish Premier League table.

Nikica Jelavic headed Rangers ahead but David Robertson levelled for United on the stroke of half-time.

Steven Naismith volleyed Rangers back in front after the interval and United came back again when Johnny Russell nodded powerfully into the net.

And David Goodwillie snatched victory for the visitors in the 89th minute.

In a week dominated by headlines about a proposed takeover of the Ibrox club and the possible impact of a potential tax bill, the more immediate task for Rangers was to try and take advantage of Celtic's match with Inverness being called off.

Long-range efforts by David Goodwillie, Barry Douglas and Danny Swanson were off target as United looked to put their midweek Scottish Cup exit behind them.

And it was Rangers who took the lead on 19 minutes when Jelavic bulleted home a header from El-Hadji Diouf's free-kick.

The goal failed to ignite the contest, however, and there were few clear-cut chances in the remainder of the first half.

But, just as it looked like Rangers would take their lead into the break, United equalised.

Danny Swanson drove at the Rangers defence and released an excellent pass to David Robertson, who finished well past Allan McGregor.

Rangers were eager to get back in front at the start of the second half and were almost gifted a second goal when Sean Dillon's mishit clearance spun over the crossbar.

And from the resulting corner, United failed to clear their lines and Maurice Edu headed down for Naismith to fire into the net.

United went in search of a second equaliser and Swanson continued to be a thorn in Rangers' side with an excellent run and shot from a tight angle that slipped past the post.

The game was beginning to open up and Steven Whittaker and Jelavic lifted shots over the visitors' crossbar.

Diouf's inventive backheel shot brought Dusan Pernis into action, the United keeper well placed to clutch the ball.

Dundee United's second equaliser came 13 minutes from the end when Russell got across his marker to connect with Paul Dixon's cross and beat McGregor with an excellent header.

And the Tangerines almost went in front moments later as Goodwillie's swerving cross was touched onto the crossbar by McGregor.

Jelavic headed straight at Pernis after meeting Wylde's cross as Rangers pressed for a winner.

But it was Peter Houston's men who would claim all three points in a dramatic penultimate minute of regulation time.

Whittaker headed against the United crossbar at a Rangers corner and the visitors broke quickly to put Goodwillie through on goal.

The striker bore down on goal and finished with style past McGregor and Rangers could not find an answer.

Rangers remain two points behind leaders Celtic, with both sides now having played the same amount of games, while United consolidate fourth spot.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9442789.stm

---------------------------------------------------------------

Well, there goes the game in hand that Gers fans kept waving in our faces. Level on games player, and now the run-in can really start. Confident of winning the league now, and I'm certain Rangers will give us a good end of the year to watch.

I thought they where playing tomorrow for some odd reason *facepalm*

The title is defiantly ours to lose atm.

Goodwillie is still a C**t though ;)

looks like its celtic's title to loose

Hardly Celtics League to lose, when if Rangers win all their games they win the league is it o_O

Yes but if we win all our games we win, so it is ours to lose 0_o

Hardly Celtics League to lose, when if Rangers win all their games they win the league is it o_O

You said a vital word there. If.

And it ours to lose. The only way we will lose the league is if we drop points. Therefore, it is ours to lose.

You said a vital word there. If.

And it ours to lose. The only way we will lose the league is if we drop points. Therefore, it is ours to lose.

You also said a vital word there. If.

The Old Firm game will decide the league.

Hope Celtic win it. Just wish Hooper's as good in game as real life...

Hope Celtic win it. Just wish Hooper's as good in game as real life...

when i did a celtic save, Hooper was ok in the first season and one of my best players in my 2nd season and scored a lot of goals

Was at the game today. I'll start by saying The referee and linesmand couldn't tell there **** from there elbow seriously! The ref was ***** the whole game. One point the referee pointed for a Dundee Utd Throw in, The linesman called a rangers throw in then changed his mind because the referee said different then eventually resulting in a rangers throw in. What the **** ? We should have had a penalty also but anyway **** happens

The referees performance wasn't why we lost. We were **** poor during the game not pushing forward lettnig dundee utd play football, Edu is the most useless pile of wank ever even worse than lafferty seriously!! Wylde today was off the ball with most of his crosses finding the first dundee utd defender 90% of the time I'd say. Credit to Dundee Utd they never gave up and battled away. We never made any subs and I do not know why, How hutton and ness sit on that bench and edu plays the way he does is beyond me. The first DU goal was due to our two centre backs Weir and Stand in Whittaker both diving into tackles and missing which gave them the chance to slot the ball into the far corner. Second goal again both defenders let their man go and the ball from around 40 yards was an absolute screamer and the header was outstanding aswell. What a goal it was honestly! And the third goal was just unlucky that we hit the bar and they hit us on the counter not much we can do at least we actually pushed players forward to try get that winning goal. Gutted about the result though as now as everyone says we have put Celtic in the driving seat, personally I do not think the Old firm game will be the winner as I do think both teams could slip up against anyone at anytime tbh. Celtic playing Caley up there is never an easy game and also we don't know where we will be playing in the split and Dundee Utd are the new Aberdeen against Rangers they always seem to up their game! Will be an exciting end to the title race again. Most worrying thing for us now is will Mr Whyte "Step up and Pay" especially after that performance I'd be having second thoughts. But still - Keep Believing! p.s Ped I hate you for putting this up :( lol

Was at the game today. I'll start by saying The referee and linesmand couldn't tell there **** from there elbow seriously! The ref was ***** the whole game. One point the referee pointed for a Dundee Utd Throw in, The linesman called a rangers throw in then changed his mind because the referee said different then eventually resulting in a rangers throw in. What the **** ? We should have had a penalty also but anyway **** happens

The referees performance wasn't why we lost. We were **** poor during the game not pushing forward lettnig dundee utd play football, Edu is the most useless pile of wank ever even worse than lafferty seriously!! Wylde today was off the ball with most of his crosses finding the first dundee utd defender 90% of the time I'd say. Credit to Dundee Utd they never gave up and battled away. We never made any subs and I do not know why, How hutton and ness sit on that bench and edu plays the way he does is beyond me. The first DU goal was due to our two centre backs Weir and Stand in Whittaker both diving into tackles and missing which gave them the chance to slot the ball into the far corner. Second goal again both defenders let their man go and the ball from around 40 yards was an absolute screamer and the header was outstanding aswell. What a goal it was honestly! And the third goal was just unlucky that we hit the bar and they hit us on the counter not much we can do at least we actually pushed players forward to try get that winning goal. Gutted about the result though as now as everyone says we have put Celtic in the driving seat, personally I do not think the Old firm game will be the winner as I do think both teams could slip up against anyone at anytime tbh. Celtic playing Caley up there is never an easy game and also we don't know where we will be playing in the split and Dundee Utd are the new Aberdeen against Rangers they always seem to up their game! Will be an exciting end to the title race again. Most worrying thing for us now is will Mr Whyte "Step up and Pay" especially after that performance I'd be having second thoughts. But still - Keep Believing! p.s Ped I hate you for putting this up :( lol

It's a conspiracy! F.T. SFA! :p

In all seriousness, this is proof that Goodwillie is probs the best Scottish striker in the league, and I expect that Gers will sign him in the summer. That is, of course, if Mr Whyte decides to buy you. If not, I see him going down south.

Really looking forward to the next OF game now! :D

P.S. Love you :wub:

You also said a vital word there. If.

The Old Firm game will decide the league.

The 'if' I mentioned being the only way we'd lose the league. Therefore, ours to lose.

I agree that the OF game will more than likely decide where the title goes.

It's a conspiracy! F.T. SFA! :p

In all seriousness, this is proof that Goodwillie is probs the best Scottish striker in the league, and I expect that Gers will sign him in the summer. That is, of course, if Mr Whyte decides to buy you. If not, I see him going down south.

Really looking forward to the next OF game now! :D

P.S. Love you :wub:

To be honest mate id prefer him to go to england, Yes hes superb but we really can't pay £3 mil minimum on a striker. We need to concentrate on getting a bigger squad defenders and midfielders more than anything. I'd love him in our squad but can't see it happening even if we do get bought over. Going to be a nervous week for us blue noses now. and yep Conspiracy! lol as i said thought its inexcusable our performance was poor.

Celtic best not win the league, don't want Commons to have the satisfaction! :(

To be honest mate id prefer him to go to england, Yes hes superb but we really can't pay £3 mil minimum on a striker. We need to concentrate on getting a bigger squad defenders and midfielders more than anything. I'd love him in our squad but can't see it happening even if we do get bought over. Going to be a nervous week for us blue noses now. and yep Conspiracy! lol as i said thought its inexcusable our performance was poor.

Yeah, and with ******* McGregor and Badwillie in the same team, the SPL's WAGs wouldn't be safe anymore.

The defence is your biggest flaw. Weir isn't good enough. Full stop. No top level side can have a forty year old who was average when he was 30 in their defence. Bougy isn't bad, if a bit inconsistent, and Papac is usually solid. Whittaker is a joke though. If Whyte comes in, I'm sure he'll get a couple of defenders in, and maybe a midfielder to replace your midfield 'soccer star'.

I pray for our 'Soccer Star' to leave he really is a pile of wank I hate the guy. And yeah did you see the joke about that

What ******* scored into another in ibrox - Goodwillie into Mcgregor. Something along those lines anyway is going about haha.And the wags will have chastity belts on by all the other players if thats the case lol locked up in hiding. Weir isn't good enough anymore and Bougherra is a liability with his runs forward especially leaving Weir at the back pretty stupid. Hoping we can keep Bartley and Weiss for another year. Need to bring in someone to replace Papac as I can't see him staying and I don't want foster to stay either.

I pray for our 'Soccer Star' to leave he really is a pile of wank I hate the guy. And yeah did you see the joke about that

What ******* scored into another in ibrox - Goodwillie into Mcgregor. Something along those lines anyway is going about haha.And the wags will have chastity belts on by all the other players if thats the case lol locked up in hiding. Weir isn't good enough anymore and Bougherra is a liability with his runs forward especially leaving Weir at the back pretty stupid. Hoping we can keep Bartley and Weiss for another year. Need to bring in someone to replace Papac as I can't see him staying and I don't want foster to stay either.

Aldo Kemp for Rangers gaffer.

Someone should make a poll.

This result was a bit of a pain in the backside for us. Should be ok though, providing we beat Motherwell this week.

As for the title, you never know what will happen. Hoping for a Rangers victory. The thought of that cuntbag Lennon winning the league makes me sick.