Rangers to sign winger Salim Kerkar this week

Gaffer

Reaction score
Rangers hope to complete the signing of French-Algerian winger Salim Kerkar this week after a successful trial.

_49153636_kerkar282.jpg

The 23-year-old free agent, who spent three seasons with French club Guegnon and had a loan spell with Calais, has impressed manager Walter Smith.

And Smith said: "We are just trying to get the full background before we go on and complete that deal.

"He has has been looking good so hopefully we can get a resolution to that in the next few days."

Smith signed Vladimir Weiss on loan from Manchester City but believes he is still short of wingers.

"He gives us options in the wide areas," the manager said on his club website.

"He can play either side and he has done well in the bounce games he has featured in.

"It will be a relief to the lad once things are sorted because he has been around us for a while now and I think he will be glad to get everything over with."

Kerkar, who played for Guegnon in the Championat in France, is the younger brother of the Algeria international Karim Kerkar and is also friends with Rangers centre-back Madjid Bougherra.

The 33-year-old Karim, presently with Emirates Club in the UAE Football League, had spells with Manchester City, Clyde and Dundee United.

He rejected moves to St Mirren and St Johnstone before returning to the Middle East.

I've never heard of him before. He's coming in on a free, and I completely trust Walter Smiths judgement. What do you guys think?

(Original Article here)

Last edited:
ive heard hes quality and well suited to the spl, but we'll see. Will keep an eye on him

He had a trial at Motherwell a few weeks back aswell

Tbh, in the theoretical world where Dundee go bust, I wouldn't mind us signing Griffiths, free tranfer and probably low wage, can't argue with it. And also, good luck to Kerkar, you hhave now signed for the greatest club in the world.^^)

Hope he is ***** (6) , only kidding , Bougherra recommended him to Walter i think oO)

Hope he is ***** (6) , only kidding , Bougherra recommended him to Walter i think oO)

We signed another Algerian guy actually as well, though that one went under the radar, it was on the Follow Follow, I'll see if I can get a link.

From what I hear ... he was an absolute beast at the U-17 level but his a string of injuries and bad luck ruined his move to a good club, still I think he will ligt up the SPL and revive his career

could be a hit or a miss but for a free transfer there isnt too great a risk. would you bears not have preferred to have seen someone from the reserves take a step up though? think thats the way to go from now on in scotland

could be a hit or a miss but for a free transfer there isnt too great a risk. would you bears not have preferred to have seen someone from the reserves take a step up though? think thats the way to go from now on in scotland

Unless your reserves are a load of bollocks. Bear in mind Weiss is back to city next year, so if we give him a few appearances this year, then next year he could be good. Walter Smith is very good with bringing up youngsters.

Unless your reserves are a load of bollocks. Bear in mind Weiss is back to city next year, so if we give him a few appearances this year, then next year he could be good. Walter Smith is very good with bringing up youngsters.

agreed mate but do you not find it frustrating that both celtic and rangers have spent a lot of money in recent years on youth development and still need to sign young foreigners?

agreed mate but do you not find it frustrating that both celtic and rangers have spent a lot of money in recent years on youth development and still need to sign young foreigners?

Our youths will get their chance this year anyways, we have too small a squad for them not to

Tbh, in the theoretical world where Dundee go bust, I wouldn't mind us signing Griffiths, free tranfer and probably low wage, can't argue with it. And also, good luck to Kerkar, you hhave now signed for the greatest club in the world.^^)

Please don't take him :p

Not every person who comes through our youth system goes onto great things, but the Rangers youth system has done pretty well in recent years. Examples? Danny Wilson, now at Liverpool. Steven Naismith, really coming along this year. John Fleck, enough said. Jamie Ness, he's already made a few promising appearances, as have Andrew Shinnie and Greggy Wylde, to name a few. I don't know much about Celtic's youth. So yeah we won't get our whole team from the youths but we do get a fair amount of promising youngsters.

Not every person who comes through our youth system goes onto great things, but the Rangers youth system has done pretty well in recent years. Examples? Danny Wilson, now at Liverpool. Steven Naismith, really coming along this year. John Fleck, enough said. Jamie Ness, he's already made a few promising appearances, as have Andrew Shinnie and Greggy Wylde, to name a few. I don't know much about Celtic's youth. So yeah we won't get our whole team from the youths but we do get a fair amount of promising youngsters.

yeah i did say there were a few just not enough in the first team though. naismith was brought from kilmarnock and im still to be convinced by fleck. forrest is about the only one good enough for a first team place at celtic.

yeah i did say there were a few just not enough in the first team though. naismith was brought from kilmarnock and im still to be convinced by fleck. forrest is about the only one good enough for a first team place at celtic.

Yeah bought from Kilmarnock but Rangers made him good.