Re-Creating a genius, The Brian Clough Saga

Reaction score
Hello all, Brian Clough here, but you can call me Mr Clough! Ive come at the age of 30 that I must be thinking about what I should do after my footballing carear come to an end. After playing 274 games for Middlesbough and Sundlerland scoring 251 goals, I have decided to the make the leap to management football. After looking at which clubs were available to me, and after much thought I decided to apply for the vacent managers job at Hartlepool, not far from me. After several meetings with chairmen Ken Hodcroft; he invited Martin O'Neil, Gary Simpson and myself into the boardroom. Sitting next to Martin O'neil I thought I'd never get the job. However,after hours of talks it was decided that Ken Hodcroft' thought I was the man to take over the Pools. After much discussion with Martin O'Neil i had offered him a contract to be my assistant Manager but im still waiting for his reply. My aim in the first season, is to gain a mid table, mabye sneek into the play offs, and build from there. So here goes :)

I wouldn't say you are going to be one of the best managers of your time, but i would say you will be in the top 1 ;)

Right lads, pre seasonhas drawn to a close, and with my Hartlepool team contesting in 6 friendles, I have to say I was very pleased with them. We played correct ootball throughout. So here are our results.

Hartlepool United 2 Hartlepool United Reserves 0.

Two goals from Hartley on 55 minutes and 68 minutes secued the pools win at home to the reserves. very good football played by both sides, and i have some cracking young players in the reserves who could mature into something big. Attendance - 0.

Hartlepool United 2 Raith Rovers 1.

This is the first of 3 games I have played against scottish opposition. Adam boyd and Monkhouse scoring, 18 and 24minutes respectivly, either side of a Henderson equaliser. Raith had fast wingers, but my defence was up for the challenege. Good all round performance. Also it was pleasing to see new signing David Fernandez gelling quickly, creating two assists. Attendance - 924.

Hartlepool United 2 St Johnston 1

This game was against SPL oufits St Johnson. With them being in the top divison of scottish football, I had to wary of the threat they posed, but all credit to my lads as a Colin Nish brace ensured the home fans went away with a win they deserved. Attendance - 1018.

Dagenham and Redbridge 1 Hartlepool United 3

Last time these two teams played was last seaon in League 1, however Dagenham were relegated and the divison difference surtenly showed as Hartlepool rn out easy 3-1 winners at the London Borough of Barking & Dagenham Stadium. Poole, Horwood and Fernandez were the scorers on this plesent afternoon. Attendance - 902.

Hartlepool United 1 Dundee 2

For my final two friendles, I decided to give some of my reserves a run out. After impressing me during the reserves vs first team game, I thought it was only fair that they could prove themselves to me. The gamble paid off and after half time, Adam Boyd popped up for a glancing header just by the penalty spot. However, as tiredness anf atigue crept in, Dundee fought back and two goals from McKendrick and Weir ensured the Dundee fans they would be taking the short trip home happy. Attendance - 1006

Barnet 2 Hartlepool 0

This game was only 5 days before the start of my season, so I decided to play youth and reserve playersto ensure my first team was fit ready for the tough start we had been givin away at Preston. The lack of experiance showed and Barnet ran out easy 2-0 winners thanks to a Holmes header and Owusu strike.

Two signings were made during pre season and that was david Fernadez on a free. This experienced AMC ould give us that extra bit of bit in midfield. And also a young striker from Arsenal as they are my Parent club.

Well, the next time I write will be 10 games in, and that will include a tough first game against Preston and tough Carling Cup draw away at Oakwell.