Recreating Sir Alex Ferguson's (2012) Counter Tactic in Football Manager 2015

agieluma

Reaction score
Finally, I created a tactic that works on FM15.
I decided to ditch possession-based football and embark on direct football; and what better tactic to recreate than Fergie's tactic.

This is based on turning defence into attack ASAP while also remaining tight at the back.
Here's an overview:
View attachment 327750I created this tactic (after numerous editing and evaluation...and some serious RAGE) in my first season (using Dortmund) and it was absolutely amazing. I won the Champions' League and Bundesliga and also had an amazing run of 10 consecutive clean sheets. I decided to delete the save and start a new one with a much weaker team; to evaluate the credibility of the tactic.
I started with West Ham and I'm really enjoying the ride. I'm not saying you'll definitely win all your games but you will like it.
I'm currently in mid-season.

Here are some screen-shots:

The counter version:
View attachment 327746View attachment 327744

The control version:
View attachment 327745
View attachment 327743

Results:

View attachment 327742View attachment 327737View attachment 327253I went unbeaten in the league but didn't do well in the cup competitions

My secret is to study the opposition

very well and maintain your players'

high morale. Also check their training

performances before choosing a

line-up. I'm open to advice on how to

make it better. If you feel I cheated,

Fine. I'm open to your criticism.

Some match stats:

View attachment 327736View attachment 327738View attachment 327741

League table (mid-season):

View attachment 327739

Goal types:

View attachment 327740

Goal assists:

View attachment 327732

Match Preparation:

Preseason:View attachment 327734

Rest of the season:
View attachment 327735

I left my assistant to handle individual training.

I use counter version more than the control version...almost 90% of the time

I did not make any new signings due to financial restrictions
I already set opposition instructions

Here are the files:

View attachment 327730
View attachment 327731

I repeat; I DIDN'T USE ANY EDITOR IN THIS SAVE.
I'm open to other suggestions to improve this tactic. Feel free to comment on my work. Thank you and GOOD LUCK

Here are the remaining screen-shots

A NEW ATTACKING VERSION:
I decided to ditch the previous "control" version (after 2 seasons) because I upgraded my team with some better players and wanted to play a more attacking way. I recreated my "Total Football" tactic from FM14 in FM15 and it's been doing wonders for me.
This is what my team looks like after 3 seasons
View attachment 327255View attachment 327254

Here's the DOWNLOAD link for the

new attacking version

View attachment 327251

Feel free to comment

Last edited:
Looks like a great one to try...direct style... As soon as I'm home :D

Looks very nice, will give it a try with my current Man Utd game when i'm home from work.

Looks excellent, exactly the way I want to play, hopefully it'll work for me.

If you've used this tactic please let me know how it's working for you

if i was to make the counter tactic into a 4-4-2, what player roles would i use? and would the team instructions etc still be the same?

if i was to make the counter tactic into a 4-4-2, what player roles would i use? and would the team instructions etc still be the same?

I would either use a "false nine", a "deep-lying forward" on support, or a "defensive forward" on support

I would either use a "false nine", a "deep-lying forward" on support, or a "defensive forward" on support

Ignore the quote just wanted to get you attention.

Any player instructions for this tac? going to try it later

Cant download as I have no internet at home so i was going to set it up myself.

GK- Goalkeeper(D): fewer risky passes, distribute quickly
DR- Wing Back(A): close down more, fewer risky passes
DCR- Ball-Playing Defender(D): mark tighter
DCL- Limited Defender(D): mark tighter
DL- Wing Back(A): close down more, fewer risky passes
DM(C)- Defensive Midfielder(D): none
M(CL)- Roaming Playmaker: none
M(R)- Winger(S): cross aim target man
AM(L)- Inside Forward(S): roam from position, sit narrower
AM(CR)- Attacking Midfielder(S): close down more, roam from position, move into channels
ST(C)- Poacher: move into channels

GK- Goalkeeper(D): fewer risky passes, distribute quickly
DR- Wing Back(A): close down more, fewer risky passes
DCR- Ball-Playing Defender(D): mark tighter
DCL- Limited Defender(D): mark tighter
DL- Wing Back(A): close down more, fewer risky passes
DM(C)- Defensive Midfielder(D): none
M(CL)- Roaming Playmaker: none
M(R)- Winger(S): cross aim target man
AM(L)- Inside Forward(S): roam from position, sit narrower
AM(CR)- Attacking Midfielder(S): close down more, roam from position, move into channels
ST(C)- Poacher: move into channels

thank you dude. I will let you know how i get on

Hi! As a Man United fan this is going to be fun to test out, Only one question, in which occasions do you use the Control tactic? :)

Hi! As a Man United fan this is going to be fun to test out, Only one question, in which occasions do you use the Control tactic? :)

"RARELY"

I only created it for the rare occasion when I'm behind in a match and i really need to score...and also when my opponent is sitting too deep, I switch to the control for about 5-10 mins and change back to the counter (just like Fergie)

How were your goals spread out?​

The whole team contributed. The player with the highest number of goals was my main striker with 17 goals but even the Central midfielders and to my surprise the full backs and central defenders all scored a few. James Tomkins (one of my CBs) had 10

So, I decided to replace the control version (after 2 seasons) with an even better attacking tactic from the "total football" tactic i created in fm14. It's in the main post.

I had some bargain signings and some free transfers...and also got more than 40 million pounds for transfers from new sponsorship deals which my club signed and also profit from player sales

Last edited:
Please post your screen-shots lemme know how it's going for you

i used the attacking version in the champs league with arsenal and it went quiet bad ended up drawing 2 - 2 with zenit but they dominated me