Conceding from crosses and counter attacks.

ellyot

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is this some sort of issue in FM 17 beta? No matter what tactic I use or download from the internet I can't stop the opposition scoring goals from counter's or crossing.

My CB pairing is Eric Bailly & Simon Kjær.

LB Haïdara RB Cédric

Is this some sort of issue in FM 17 beta? No matter what tactic I use or download from the internet I can't stop the opposition scoring goals from counter's or crossing.

LB Haïdara RB Cédric
Without seeing your complete tactical setup, no one can say. Post the tactic in full please.

You have all 4 wide players on Attack duty, so from a defensive point of view - they are going to vacate the flanks completely in favour of bombing forward when you have the ball. You're leaving the flanks wide, wide open against counter attacks or any attack.

If you didn't concede from crosses and counters - that would be an issue.

You have all 4 wide players on Attack duty, so from a defensive point of view - they are going to vacate the flanks completely in favour of bombing forward when you have the ball. You're leaving the flanks wide, wide open against counter attacks or any attack.

If you didn't concede from crosses and counters - that would be an issue.

Ah!

I see that now, I will change this and I will see what happens, thank you for the reply sir.

Hello Ellyot, unfortunately this is a known problem and you can't do anything relly efficient. Try just to score one more goal than your opponents

What helps a lot with throughballs was getting defenders with high anticipation, positioning, accelleration+pace and marking.
For your defender setup I would use Simon Kjær as CD "Defend" and Bailly as the cover.

Last edited:
This is a bit of an issue, but your tactical setup isn't helping you either. Wingbacks on attack opens up the channels for counterattacks. Defending very narrow invites crosses. And finally I find that closing down 'much more' draws your defence up the pitch and is much more harder to do in this version - especially away from home.

Plus you're playing without a holding midfielder to break up the oppositions counter attacks.

This is a bit of an issue, but your tactical setup isn't helping you either. Wingbacks on attack opens up the channels for counterattacks. Defending very narrow invites crosses. And finally I find that closing down 'much more' draws your defence up the pitch and is much more harder to do in this version - especially away from home.
Very Narrow is an on the ball instruction. Defending width is automatic.

I think the only thing that would make you defend narrow would be if you set your full backs PI to sit narrow

I think the only thing that would make you defend narrow would be if you set your full backs PI to sit narrow
It'll have the same effect. They'll be narrow in possession.

Would they defend narrow as well?
As I said, defensive width is automatic. Mentality can affect it though, I think, but it's been a while since I last checked.

Hi guys,

LB Haïdara RB Cédric

I don't have FM17, but I know enough about tactics in FM generally to make these observations about your set-up:

- You have two centre backs who are both on Cover duty. I can see what you're thinking - you want them to cover behind the wing backs - but the role is described in-game as covering "behind the defensive line", so they're trying to cover each other! If you have one on the cover, you can have the other operate as a Stopper or detail him to man mark a specific opponent.

- As has already been pointed out, you have all four wide men going Gung-Ho attack. Hitting you on the counter attack and getting crosses in to your back posts is exactly how I would set my team up to play against you! I prefer an attacking left-back with the left winger on Support; an attacking right winger with the right back on Support. That way, you can break the lines on both sides without leaving yourself wide open at the back - and that staggered set-up comes into its own during your own counterattacks.

- Box-to-Box Midfielders will vacate the centre of the pitch from time-to-time, so you're leaving Anita with a lot of defensive work to do all on his own.

- With no defensive influence in your midfield - no M(C) on Defend duty and/or no DM - and both centre backs playing on the Cover, you're giving the freedom of St. James's Park to the opposition No.10 or any player who strolls into that space.

- Two False-9s; similarly to your centre back situation, you've put two players in a role that is designed to complement other roles. A False-9_Support who is good at long range passes can really help you to stretch the opposition by playing angled passes out to your wingers or over the defence for an Advanced Forward_Attack to use his pace and get into one-on-one situations with the goalkeeper. If you don't have an AF, a Target Man can also work well alongside an F-9 (F-9 passes wide to the wings; Target Man heads in the cross).

- Try to play as many players as possible in their best positions/roles/duties. Your goalkeeper is the only player in your whole team who is doing what he is best at (as indicated by the Trivial Pursuit style green circle-o'wedges). Consider that when scouting and signing players; what do you want this player to do in your team? What will his role/function be? Improve them further by training them on PPMs that complement your style of play. For example...

- Do you have a strong centre back who Marks Opponents Tightly?
- I get my central midfielders to Switch Play to Opposite Flank Often so we can quickly exploit the space when it opens up.
- A strong forward who can Play With Back to Goal can hold the ball up and give your other attacking players time to make attacking runs.
- I like my Advanced Forward and whoever plays closest to him to be good at one-twos, so they can pick their way through a crowded defence. If the AF can also Try First Time Shots and/or Shoot With Power then your chances of getting something from your front two increases that little bit more.

Last edited:
They need to fix it. I've tried multiple clubs, multiple seasons, you ALWAYS concede on some counter attack or center.

It's impossible to stop and it's annoying. Either the cross comes in short and the player pushes it in since the keeper is in the middle and somehow can't cover the angle.

Or a through ball. My defender ALWAYS misses the tackle, or simply decides to let the attacker by even if i try to press or put an aggressive style of play.

You just have to score more than the other team sadly, which isin't great since FM already has the problem where you can have 20 to 30 shots and only 2 or 3 goals when the opponent has 3/4 shots and gets 2 in.

I'm done playing till its fixed. Its especially annoying when you play a good game, but you take a goal from that unstoppable cross or over the defense through ball. I rarely see my defender stop it even if they are top class. They often tackle and fail, or even if you want them to press the defense to slow them down, they let them run around and it ends up being the unstoppable cross goal.

"You just have to score more than the other team sadly"....... Yeah that's the idea loool

Maby you should stop cheating also how can you have all these players in Newcastle?

i dont think people watch football, also, i started with arsenal and won my first three and with CLEAN SHEETS....but Arsenal conceded 2 to ludogorets and Madrid conceded 3 to legia this week, so its not totally unrealistic, people should be upset that they cant easily win 5-0 every game, you ask for a realistic game and moan when it gets realistic....football these days everyone concedes to everyone

They need to fix it. I've tried multiple clubs, multiple seasons, you ALWAYS concede on some counter attack or center.

It's impossible to stop and it's annoying. Either the cross comes in short and the player pushes it in since the keeper is in the middle and somehow can't cover the angle.

Or a through ball. My defender ALWAYS misses the tackle, or simply decides to let the attacker by even if i try to press or put an aggressive style of play.

You just have to score more than the other team sadly, which isin't great since FM already has the problem where you can have 20 to 30 shots and only 2 or 3 goals when the opponent has 3/4 shots and gets 2 in.

I'm done playing till its fixed. Its especially annoying when you play a good game, but you take a goal from that unstoppable cross or over the defense through ball. I rarely see my defender stop it even if they are top class. They often tackle and fail, or even if you want them to press the defense to slow them down, they let them run around and it ends up being the unstoppable cross goal.

I don't understand the bolded at all. You always concede on some counterattacks....? Well of course you do. If you conceded on every counter-attacking, that might be wrong.

Do clubs concede in real life? Of course. They concede goals to sides they dominate, outclass, and shouldn't concede against. Yet it happens. Look at how often the "lesser" side in a Prem match will "nick" a goal on a counter, a mistake, or a set piece. Keeping a really low goals against thru the season isn't easy in any league unless its a really unbalanced league, and typically requires both talent and tactics focused on defending.

If you don't want to concede on counter-attacks, don't give them up. You are vulnerable to counter attacks when you are forward with a lot of players in attacking positions, stretched out, etc. So avoid putting yourself in those positions.

As well, are you watching matches on Extended highlights? Full matches? Because plenty of counter-attacking opportunities get snuffed out early, before it becomes a real attacking chance. But because they aren't a scoring chance, you really only seem them on full match. Something to consider.