Cheers Neavie, I honestly have no idea. I think sheer desperation and persistence eventually saw the chairman show pity on me.

Thanks DeathBall!

Gui_zpsss8zjisl.png

Goodbye Non-League Football!

Having scrapped and battled my way to turning the Lions into a National League force, its time to make my way to the glitz and glammer of League Two...

Before I make my way to the scenic city of Grimsby there is sometime to take a look back at what I achieved during a short but sweet spell with Guiseley.

2016/17
Vanarama National League
16170.png

Apr17_1.png

Things started off in dramatic fashion. With the entirety of my debut year in management coming down to the final ninety minutes of the season, the Lions pulled off one of the biggest upsets of the season to scrape their way to survival and ensure I remain employed for longer then one season. Flying start.

2017/18
Vanarama National League
17180.png

Apr18_1.png

Having signed nearly every teenager in the country with a slight degree of talent the boys restarted their careers in the basement of English football in fine style as they drag the club to its highest ever finish in the clubs long history, taking the entire league by surprise by not just avoiding the relegation dog-fight but securing a respectable mid-table finish.

2018/19
Vanarama National League
18190.png

Feb19.png

Staying with the Lions until February the club was once again on course for its highest finish with the club trying its utmost to grab a top half position. Having made some fine early running the boys even found themselves within the playoff spots until falling away towards the finale. Fortunately for me I would still find my way into the football league regardless...

With two and a half season almost under my belt, I've actually made a rather healthy start to my career.

With a quick arrival into the football league, a club with big ambitions awaiting my arrival and a welcome chance to boost my mediocre reputation on the big scene ahead of me, It's time to bid farewel to the Lions.

Time to ruin my previous hard work, embarrass myself and sabotage Grimsby's hopes of establishing themselves in the football league.

Last edited:

I've got bad news Godfish, I'm already failing. The Imps aren't exactly having a good time of it this season.

The Promised Land awaits.

Despite breaking my way into the Football League in relatively short time, my reputation and qualifications remain painfully low.

With the Lions unable to stump up the cash to send me to get my badges and only a mid-table finish in the National League to my name, I've certainly got a lot to prove with the Mighty Mariners...

Grimsby.png

From Yorkshire to Lincolnshire and the lovely fishing town of Grimsby...

It might not rank up beside the beautiful surroundings found alongside the likes of Barcelona or Inter Milan but Grimsby still has plenty to offer....mainly fish.

Non the less I'm not here to view the surroundings, I'm here to play football and earn money...

Gri-Con1.png

A one hundred and fifty pound pay rise. My third in three seasons. No stopping me now.

With my contract now dangerously close to the one thousand pound a week mark, I'm already closing in on a wage more befitting of a manager within the Football League.

With just one solitary season to ensure I hang around long enough to hit that magic marker, it's time to see what I've got myself into...

Gri-Fix.png

Gri-Table.png

Having been briefly in the running for nearly every League Two club that found itself in the bottom half of the table, I remarkably have landed a job with a club seemingly managing to avoid the battle at the foot of the standings and an unwelcome return to the National League.

With just a handful of games remaining to ensure the clubs survival and hefty gap between ourselves and those towards the safety of mid-table, I've got little time to waste to ensure I keep the club out of the relegation dog-fight.

Let's get going...

Grimsby.png

Fifteen games left in the season and a clubs League Two status in the balance.

With no time to truly evaluate the squad and with my tactical ability stretching about as far as one shoddy formation and a lot of luck its time to take a quick glance at the Grimsby squad before we dive head first into League action...

Gri-Squad.png

With a relatively strong but imbalanced team at my disposal it takes little time to workout quite why the Mariners have struggled this season.

The club finds itself with just one solitary striker on the books...and he isn't even permanent.

With some of the most talented players to be found among the clubs numerous attacking midfielders I at least have some hope of working the ball towards the oppositions goal however I certainly know where my attention will lie should I survive until the transfer window.

Before I can dream of bringing in a lower league sharp shooter its time to show-case some of the clubs most talented stars...

Gri-Star1.png

The Italian maestro. Having arrived from his home nation just one season ago Cali has emerged as the most important player within the entire team. With a neat eye for a pass and the mental abilities that will see him thrive at this level, the young work horse will certainly be crucial to my current and future plans.

Gri-Star2.png

With a number of attacking midfield options in the squad, Tom Barkhuizen emerges as one of the best. As one of the paciest wingers in the entire division and a finish that will hopefully see him make up for our lack of options upfront. I will be hoping the right winger will be able to add to his nine goals for the season to keep my League Two career alive.

With the squad briefly greeted and a rather half-hearted attempt at a formation scrubbed up, it's time to get these boys into the action.

Don't let me down gents!

Thanks Neavie, I will try and up the pace a bit. Sorry for being so slow recently!

February 2019

Feb19-z1.png

20th February 2019
League Two
Feb19-a1.png

First game at the helm of the Mariners and within the Football League see's us ****** a hard earned point following an end to end game against a Blackpool side also keen to distance themselves from the relegation dog fight. With the boys very fortunate to claim the draw with a goal four minutes from time its safe to say I didn't entirely thrill the home crowd with my arrival.

23rd February 2019
League Two
Feb19-b1.png

Final game of the month see's me quickly pick up my first win in League Two after just two games as the boys waste little time in putting bottom of the table Eastleigh to the sword. A well earned three points, goals raining in from across the pitch and an unbeaten start to my life in League Two. God bless you Eastleigh and your National League bound campaign.

February 2019
League Two
Feb192.png

Two games in to my career with Grimsby and despite being unbeaten I have somehow managed to take the club down a position into nineteenth. Solid Start. Despite my mixed start to life in the football league I head into the final three months of the season eager to pick up from my emphatic start.

Mate I am loving this story! hope you get past the dizzy heights of Dortmund this time around!!!

Can I suggest posting your entire team at the end of each season so we can see things like highest rated player.. most used players ETC as we only see goalscorers at the moment.

Keep it up !!

Cheers Wanderer, fingers crossed!
Not a bad Idea, I'll give it a go but might have to wait till next season as I'm a bit further head then here unfortunately! Thanks again!

March 2019

Mar19-z.png

2nd March 2019
League Two

Mar19-a.png

Having kick started my League Two career in decidedly average style, I head into the second month in disappointing style. A tight game against a Hartlepool side only narrowly ahead of us in the standings set the tone for the remainder of the fixtures for March as we slip up sending myself and the Mariners further down the table.

6th March 2019
League Two

Mar19-b.png

Having lost to a team just above us in the league we continue a stellar month of football with a defeat to one of the only clubs beneath us in the shape of the mighty Imps. Having snatched the lead just before the break, through our stylish winger Barkhuizen I was confident of snatching three points until a second half collapse saw the points quickly disappear.

9th March 2019
League Two

Mar19-c.png

Its safe to say I wasn't exactly enjoying the most magical of honeymoon periods with Grimsby and another disappointing performance certainly had me pining for a return to Yorkshire. I can however take some slight comfort from the fact that the Hatters are closing in on a place in League One. It counts for something....right?

16th March 2019
League Two

Mar19-d.png

Yeah it just goes on... A brief attempt at a fight back gave me a glimmer of hope from the start of the second half but before I could even calm myself down following the much needed equalizer, Carlisle soon put me back in my place with two quick fire goals and an injury to Davison, who apparently jumped from the some form of height in despair, capping a sensational day.

Mar19-16th.png

23rd March 2019
League Two

Mar19-e.png

Should I just pack my bags already? My fifth defeat in a row has us once again lose to just the one goal as this time The Gas fire in an early goal to grab the points. It's almost as if the team only has one striker upfront... who has yet to find the back of the net this month... and is now out for the remainder of the season. Brilliant.

27th March 2019
League Two

Mar19-f.png

It's over. It's finally over. On the back of what might quite possibly be one of the worst starts to a managerial career in recent history, Albanian winger Ador Gjuci smashes home a long awaited winner to give me a much needed three points against a Cambridge side who must be wondering just why the footballing gods hate them. I'm back!

31st March 2019
League Two

Mar19-g.png

Well that revival was short lived. On the back of our narrow victory over the U's, we make the long journey to the middle of no where for a painfully boring draw against Yeovil. Despite the entire journey being essentially a waste of just about everyone's time, I was more then happy to claim a point!

March 2019
League Two

Mar19.png

Yup. I'm back to my best.
Having apparently ridden my luck to actually gain some genuine and surprising respect from the footballing world, it seems I have run out of good fortune in style. With the club now sitting just above a relegation zone thankfully all but taken care of, my time in League Two hasn't exactly got off to the brightest of beginnings.

You didn't have much to work with but you should keep Grimsby in league two this season. A bit of wheeler dealing over the summer and you will have a mid-table team on your hands.

Based on the last few years I think it might actually be just how I play the game Neavie...

I hope so Woolly, god knows what would have happened had I arrived earlier in the season. I'll hold you to that! Thanks!

April 2019

Apr19-z.png

6th April 2019
League Two

Apr19-a.png

We manage just two games without defeat as a frustrating game against Oldham has us returned to our pointless ways with the home crowd once again growing increasingly despondent with my tenure. A second half red card sums up a disappointing weekend for the Mariners with Italian midfielder, Cali sent to the stands.

13th April 2019
League Two

Apr19-b.png

Thankfully the boys soon have us back on the right track as the sneak a victory over the perennial yo-yo club, Barnet. For once the Bees actually don't find themselves among the relegation dog fight but that didn't stop them from falling to an early defeat as a seventh minute goal proves to be enough for us to ****** the points.

20th April 2019
League Two

Apr19-c.png

Having just snuck past Barnet, hopes were high that we could make it back to back victories for the first time since arriving in the club as we go toe to toe with a seemingly National League bound Aldershot. Unfortunately it seems the boys are determined to make me the least popular man in Grimsby with another disappointing home performance and a red card for the hot-headed Cali.

22nd April 2019
League Two

Apr19-d.png

Thankfully on the road, the boys do however manage to claim another away victory with another fine solo effort securing the victory as Honeyman slams home a second half winner to ensure the travelling support at least make their way back to the East Coast with their heads held high.

April 2019
League Two

Apr19.png

Just two games left in the season and I've actually managed to take the club up the table for the first time since arriving. That achievement is slightly less impressive from the depths of Twenty-Second place but non the less it's something! With only six points up for grabs I'm desperate to ****** some late additions in the final month to make our finish look slightly more respectable.

Good luck with Grimsby DJ! Another step forward thats for sure!

Thanks Dan, Might not be glamorous but it counts!

May 2019

May19-z.png

4th May 2019
League Two

May19-a.png

With the sole aim for the final month of the season to finish as high as possible we get off to a rather sluggish but all too familiar start at home as we are left frustrated in front of the loyal Mariner fans by a ten man Leyton Orient. Safe to say I'm going to have to improve our home form next season...

11th May 2019
League Two

May19-b.png

Rounding off a bruising but thankfully safe debut season in League Two comes another lackluster performance as we let Shrewsbury pick up three points to help them on their way to claiming a play off spot. Generous. With the boys unable to match up to the early pace its clear i have some work to do to get myself and the club up to the challenge of League Two football.

May 2019
League Two

May19.png

Not exactly the rampant early rise up the table but non the less at least we managed to finish clear of the drop zone...by goal difference. With another season fast approaching and League Two football not about to get any less brutal in the forth coming months, there is little time to waste in bringing in some Football League saving talent.

Delighted to see you survive, but nice to see Lincoln up there despite that shocked goals against column...

Well done on surviving! that was a tough battle. You inspired me to try this mate and I am doing it as Bolton Wanderers currently with a transfer fee of 10k.... how do you get a decent team with that amount of money. I am getting destroyed in the finances too I am losing 500k a month with no way to stop it, I have sold most of my players to the barebones so my overall money is at 1.1 mil but losing 500k a month will have me in the red very soon!!
Any tips??

good to see you survived! promotion next season??

Loving the story

Hey Derby Jack,

Followed your story in FM16 and loved it, glad I found that you're doing a similar task again. (Hopefully no need for time travel).

Loving the story so far this year.

Looking forward to seeing you achieve your goal of highest paid manager in the world and the first few seasons appear to be promising.

I have a question, when you do interviews with prospective employers, do you say what they want to hear or go with your own philosophies?

Regards,

Nosibor

Thanks Godfish, not going to lie they are looking pretty wobbly with the most generous defence in the entire country...

Cheers Wanderer. I'm honestly probably the least qualified person on this entire website to give advice. I mainly just sign anyone with a slight bit of potential who was released by the Premier League giants. Sometimes you land a gem and more often then not their willing to work for apprentice wages!.Bargain! When it comes to a club deep in debt, I tend to have jumped ship before it's too late! Abandon all hope!

Cheers Naterr, I'll settle for just being employed!

Thanks SeanKeaney, glad to hear it!

Hi Nosibor, Thanks very much for joining me again, hopefully go a bit further then last time. I try to go with my own philosophy but usually when I get more frustrated it just comes down to me begging as much as possible and hoping someone shows some pity. I'm not exactly gifted...

It's been a season of change.

From Non League football to the fierce battle in League Two and I'm not the only one getting used to new surroundings...

1084516d1478303800-football-managing-mercenary-man17-1.png
Man13.png
Man17-4.png
Carlo AncelottiDiego SimeoneLuis Enrique
Bayern MunichAtletico MadridBarcelona
£250,000 per week£180,000 per week£150,000 per week

The Special One has gone.

Jose and Manchester United suffer a season to forget with Luis Enrqiue soon taking advantage as his Barcelona earnings see him slide into the top three.

Meanwhile Carlo and Diego remain steadfast at the top of the game.

Ancelotti continues to impress within Germany as he scoops a domestic double with the mighty Bayern Munich, whilst Diego Simeone joins him with two Spanish cup trophies and narrowly misses out on the La Liga title and the Champions League trophy, finishing runner up in both of them.

Whilst Diego might be dreaming of loading the Atletico trophy cabinet to the brim I am left merely dreaming of eventually scooping something....

1084519d1478303826-football-managing-mercenary-man17-0.png
Derby Jack
Grimsby
£900 per week

Three months into my career and having guided the club to safety I still remain below that one thousand pound mark.

Some thanks I get.

It's almost as if I managed to somehow drag the club into a seemingly impossible relegation battle and won only two of my first ten games in charge of the club.

As if I could sink that low...

I was a bit late to enjoy your FM 16 series, but seeing as theirs this one il be keeping up on this as it goes along :)