Bren98

Reaction score
Been looking at the possibility of bringing Coutinho back in. Probably going to cost a massive fee, but if I can afford it, I'd be more than happy too.

However, I do face a few issues. If I'd buy him back, he'd slot in on the left centre mid spot (mezzala). However, that would mean that Keita would go into the defensive midfielder (Deep-Lying Playmaker) slot.

Then there's also the possibility of letting Keita on the left centre mid role and bring in a different defensive midfielder.

Like to hear your opinions on it, lads.

Do please bear in mind that I don't have a bid in for Coutinho yet, just thinking of the possibility and researching it.

Been looking at the possibility of bringing Coutinho back in. Probably going to cost a massive fee, but if I can afford it, I'd be more than happy too.

However, I do face a few issues. If I'd buy him back, he'd slot in on the left centre mid spot (mezzala). However, that would mean that Keita would go into the defensive midfielder (Deep-Lying Playmaker) slot.

Then there's also the possibility of letting Keita on the left centre mid role and bring in a different defensive midfielder.

Like to hear your opinions on it, lads.

Do please bear in mind that I don't have a bid in for Coutinho yet, just thinking of the possibility and researching it.
Keita would be wasted in the deeper defensive position. When building a midfield balance is more important than sticking good players in positions that dont suit them. You're better of in bringing in a different defensive midfielder.

It depends really, what is your whole tactic - particularly the right CM slot, if you have one - and squad like?

It depends really, what is your whole tactic - particularly the right CM slot, if you have one - and squad like?

I play a 4-3-3 with a DM and 2 Inside Forwards.

My right CM is Milinkovic Savic. Against weaker teams, he and the other CM both play as Mezzalas with an attack duty while against weaker or equal teams, he plays with a support duty to help out the defensive midfielder.

Back 4 consists of Virgil, Gomez, Robertsen and Trent with Alisson behind them.

Interesting, I'm surprised the Mezzalas and Inside Forwards don't try to take the same spaces.

It depends on which options you have for central midfield and defensive midfield - if you don't have much depth for DM then I would say that should be your priority, and vice versa if you don't have enough options for CM. If your fullbacks are very attacking it might be better to go with a more defensive midfielder for your DM rather than relocate Keita there, but if one or both are holding back then maybe you can afford a more progressive player there.

Worth considering that Coutinho can also play as your left inside forward if you choose to sign him

Interesting, I'm surprised the Mezzalas and Inside Forwards don't try to take the same spaces.

It depends on which options you have for central midfield and defensive midfield - if you don't have much depth for DM then I would say that should be your priority, and vice versa if you don't have enough options for CM. If your fullbacks are very attacking it might be better to go with a more defensive midfielder for your DM rather than relocate Keita there, but if one or both are holding back then maybe you can afford a more progressive player there.

Worth considering that Coutinho can also play as your left inside forward if you choose to sign him

Yeah, the fact thay my RB and LB are on support duty instead of attack is the only reason I even considered placing Keita there. The Inside Forwards are also on support so they track back and one Mezzala against equal or better teams. (And even then, Keita has some decent defensive stats.) Should I really need a more defensive midfielder, I also have Hendo walking around.

That, combined with the fact that a Coutinho-type of midfielder works really well as one of the two middle players (a dribbler with lots of flair), gave me thought.

Kind of moved on from the Keita as DM thing, but your point of view makes me doubt again, haha.