Recreation Tactic: Catenaccio with Libero

maxy67

Reaction score
[video=youtube;B0wZPO7Kouk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0wZPO7Kouk&feature=related[/video] [video=youtube;SfxWp1XKsbY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfxWp1XKsbY&feature=related[/video] [video=youtube;tPRxmTtbnWg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPRxmTtbnWg&feature=channel_video_title[/video] [video=youtube;xfhApCrfp2E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xfhApCrfp2E[/video]

This thread is a series of tactics based on Catennacio a style of play created and played in Italy from the 1950's- 1970's.

Origins
Karl Rappan, the famous Austrian coach, had a dream. In that dream, he saw that if the opposing center forward went behind his central defender in the WM formation, the former was basically clean through to goal. To counter this monstrous vision, he decided to take off one of his attackers, and put another defender behind his central defensive line, in front of his goalkeeper. The plan was that this defender will clean up any ball that went behind the central defensive line. The “Sweeper” was thus born. Rappan called this system “Verrou” – the French for doorbolt.

Catenaccio Is Born
Rappan’s ideas struck a chord in legendary Italian coach Nereo Rocco. He devised what is essentially known as the classic Catenaccio, by modifying the sweeper into a free roaming “Libero” who would have a much larger area of impact, and added secondary playmaking duties. The system was further polished by Helenio Herrara for his La Grande Inter. The success of Rocco’s Milan and Herrara’s inter both domestically and in Europe started forging the myth of this footballing system.

Man Marking
– the key aspect to the defensive phase is that all opponents will be tightly man marked by the central defenders, the wing backs and the defensive midfielders, with the mobile libero double teaming wherever the ball approaches.

Counter Attacking
– The main creative thrust of the system were the fantasista, a central playmaker and sometimes the libero. Efficiency of the forwards was paramount since very few chances were created. It should be remembered that while Catenaccio was the primary defensive system in Italy, it was by no means the only one. Catenaccio was a “system” of playing, and not a hard formation. Many variations of Catenaccio existed, and a very popular use was switching tactics to protect a lead, or to avoid defeat. One very famous example involves the legendary Juventus player John Charles (voted the greatest foreigner to have ever played in the Serie A), who would very often start out as a Center Forward and then drop back as a Central Defender once the team started leading. Anyways, by the mid sixties, Catenaccio was, in the words of Gianni Brera, “The only way to play football.” But, far across Europe, in Amsterdam a Dutchman named Rinus Michels was plotting a revolution that will shake the very foundations of the footballing world

________________ ________________

Le Grande Inter "This is catenaccio - the sweeper system in full effect. The brainchild of the great Herrera, it might not have been pretty but it was effective. This defence was like a locked door. The team was not without creativity, with the spanish playmker Luis Suarez and great attacking midfielder Sandro Mazzola, but it relied on the counter-attack. The team on the left is the one that lined up for the European Cup Final in 1963. Inter were to reach two other Finals in the 1960s."

View attachment 217037View attachment 217038View attachment 217039View attachment 217040View attachment 217041View attachment 217042View attachment 217043

Last edited:
Nice one mate, I did a similar thing last year (also witht he scum of Inter :p )

Cool i think i remeber your thread it was zona mista right? Cheers for the comment man!

Cool i think i remeber your thread it was zona mista right? Cheers for the comment man!

Ended up as "Libero's Libido"

Haha, I always like to try out odd looking formations. Might have another crack some time :p I had a similar probelm with time that you said you have in the OP. Takes alot of time to sit there and tweek things! Might give your tactic a try one day :)

Ended up as "Libero's Libido"

Haha, I always like to try out odd looking formations. Might have another crack some time :p I had a similar probelm with time that you said you have in the OP. Takes alot of time to sit there and tweek things! Might give your tactic a try one day :)

Nice name for a tactic! Haha. That'd be great if you ever have time mate. Thanks.

Any Opposition Instructions? Pitch Size? Match Preperation?
My opposition instructions I leave to my assistant, match preperation I put it on teamwork up until the point that the team is fully comfortable with the tactic- after that it's up to you- you could focus on attacking movement to help score more or defensive positioning if you want to concede less. Pitch size, I would either choose normal or maximum since the tactic uses wide players but isn't neccesarily soley based on wide play. Hope that helps mate, tell me how it goes.

The tactic Egypt used to win the 2008 ACN is very much similar to this one, But unfortunately i wasn't able to recreate it.
Will be testing this.
Oh and good job :D

The tactic Egypt used to win the 2008 ACN is very much similar to this one, But unfortunately i wasn't able to recreate it.
Will be testing this.
Oh and good job :D

Thanks man- its working brilliantly with my Paris FC career at the moment, I changed the starting strategy to counter and the mentality to very rigid and it seems to work a lot better.

tactic

Hello, have you tried the tactic with other teams or only with the inter ......... thanks for the answer

I've tried it paris fc too

Last edited:
I've tried it paris fc too

just tried this with man united and lost to swansea. only 1-0 mind without any previous games with it. my question is how do i get my anchor man to man mark specific players? i cant seem to find it on screen?

Playing as PSG hasnt won a game for me, theres promising signs but theres no substance or end product, test with little teams not big teams!

I've just started using it and I've now played 4 matches one of these matches being against dortmund away where I won 1-0 and Slavia Prague 1-0 also. I have won 3 of those games by narrow margins as you did mention and I haven't conceded much either only 2 in those 4 matches . I can say I am thankful for this tactic and it does work for me at least so its not a '' big team tactic '' in my opinion .

Anyone had any success with the newest version?

Will be adding a whole series of the variants of catenaccio soon. And promise to make several successful versions!!