Recreation Tactic: USSR- Total Football

• Thread starter Thread starter maxy67
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 28K

maxy67

Reaction score
USSR total football

In this instalment of my series of recreation tactics I’ve decided to re create Valeriy Lobanovskyji’s Dynamo Kyiev team of the 70’s and the 80’s- a sort of USSR total football.

For more information on total football and other well known tactics I've written a thread here: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ing/86239-brief-history-football-tactics.html

A background on the tactic:
Like the great Ajax side of the early 1970’s the team of Dynamo Kyiev at a similar time also focused on a very fluid way of playing- what Lobanovskji called universality. He like Ajax wanted his forwards to defend and his defenders to attack; he did not see football as positions but about getting the ball back and keeping possession.
“Like Michaels Ajax, Lobanovskji’s Dynamo could press, seeking to pen their opponents in and win the ball high up the field, but they were also perfectly capable of sitting deep and hitting on the counter attack” Indeed Lobanovskji often would say that it is easier to counter attack in any sport than to attack from the start.

I've had many games using this tactic where I have won by more than 5 goals, using different teams of various levels including the Semi Pro- Paris FC.

I didn’t lose a game throughout my career with Dynamo Kyiev apart from two losses to Barcelona, and the same happened with Roma and Paris FC, as well as scoring a lot of goals as shown in the screenshots.

Roles:

Fullbacks- Attack

CB- Defend

Ball playing Defender- Defend

Two Defensive Wingers: Attack

Deep Lying Playmaker- Suppprt

Deep Lying Forward- Support

Advanced Forward- Attack

Last edited:
Hi maxy67 – well done on a great post and very good results!I’m going to use this in a new save in the Premiership… not sure of the team yet.Few questions for you:Do you use any shouts for any of the tactics?Do you use any opposition instructions at all… either by you or your assistant?What match preparation do you use?
Sorry for all of the questions!

Hi maxy67 – well done on a great post and very good results!I’m going to use this in a new save in the Premiership… not sure of the team yet.Few questions for you:Do you use any shouts for any of the tactics?Do you use any opposition instructions at all… either by you or your assistant?What match preparation do you use?

Sorry for all of the questions!

Thanks man, very nice of you to comment. And thats no problem asking questions anything I can do to help! I used teamwork and very high match prep up until the season started due to needing the team to get more familiar with the tactic than they were, after that I left it up to my assistant. A for Opp instructions and shouts I leave all that up to assistant I'm really not very good at that side of managing, what I would do is look up a guide to shouts and team talks if there are any up at the moment!

Last edited:
Max would you ever consider doing Michels Total football tactics?

Yeah I would- getting the wingers and full backs and wingers, and the Attack Mid and centre forward to change positions might be hard to do but I'll give it a go eventually man. Although this is very similar to Michels total football.

Yeah I would- getting the wingers and full backs and wingers, and the Attack Mid and centre forward to change positions might be hard to do but I'll give it a go eventually man. Although this is very similar to Michels total football.

Mate if you're ever think of giving it a go you should look into this

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ct-totaal-voetbal-dutch-emulation-tactic.html

Most 'total football' tactics on here (all of them except the link posted above) don't even use total football concepts. They play tiki taka football with creating space and keeping the ball and playing at a slow tempo. As you said in one of your other threads, they tried to score as quick as possible and were quite direct actually, they played long balls, crosses and played at an extremely high tempo. Their pressing was incredible as well, and that can't be implemented in the game tbh, because that kind of pressing worked due to their ridiculous fitness level relative to their competition, and most teams sat deep and counter attacked. They were the first team to truly implement the pressing game in modern football.

look at these pictures below....

Against Uraguay look how many men are pressing and there are no players even available for a pass...

View attachment 202606

Then look at Holland players pressing Brazil player on the ball, again hardly anyone for a pass due to the idea of when we get the ball 'throw everyone forward mentality' ...

View attachment 202607

It's impossible to ever implement this kind of multiple player pressing in current match engine.

The positional interchanging is described below

View attachment 202608

The thick arrows represent the players running out of position with the ball and as you can see this is just a simplified version of it as sometimes Cruyff played LB and Krol was in CM position. The interchanging positions and the ridiculous pressing is nigh on impossible, that is why no one has successfully done it. I will follow the tactic you create with massive interest. Cheers mate, and I hope you can pull it off.

(Sorry for the rant mate, I wasn't trying to give you a history lesson as you clearly know what you're on about but I'm fed up with people using total football in their tactics without implementing ANYTHING from it. :) )

Last edited:
Mate if you're ever think of giving it a go you should look into this

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ct-totaal-voetbal-dutch-emulation-tactic.html

Most 'total football' tactics on here (all of them except the link posted above) don't even use total football concepts. They play tiki taka football with creating space and keeping the ball and playing at a slow tempo. As you said in one of your other threads, they tried to score as quick as possible and were quite direct actually, they played long balls, crosses and played at an extremely high tempo. Their pressing was incredible as well, and that can't be implemented in the game tbh, because that kind of pressing worked due to their ridiculous fitness level relative to their competition, and most teams sat deep and counter attacked. They were the first team to truly implement the pressing game and pioneer...

look at these pictures below....

Against Uraguay look how many men are pressing and there are no players even available for a pass...

View attachment 202606

Then look at Holland players pressing Brazil player on the ball, again hardly anyone for a pass due to the idea of when we get the ball 'throw everyone forward mentality' ...

View attachment 202607

It's impossible to ever implement this kind of multiple player pressing in current match engine.

The positional interchanging is described below

View attachment 202608

The thick arrows represent the players running out of position with the ball and as you can see this is just a simplified version of it as sometimes Cruyff played LB and Krol was in CM position. The interchanging positions and the ridiculous pressing is nigh on impossible, that is why no one has successfully done it. I will follow the tactic you create with massive interest. Cheers mate, and I hope you can pull it off.

(Sorry for the rant mate, I wasn't trying to give you a history lesson as you clearly know what you're on about but I'm fed up with people using total football in their tactics without implementing ANYTHING from it. :) )

That will definitely help man thanks! Especially the diagram showing the positional interchange... I'll really give this a go at getting the players to swap goals like that.

That will definitely help man thanks! Especially the diagram showing the positional interchange... I'll really give this a go at getting the players to swap goals like that.

No problem mate. When do you reckon you will give it a go?

Well I've updated my Catenaccio tactic- and the defence with that is amazing haven't let in a goal with it yet, so when I've got some nice screenshots with that- then I'm going to spend time on total football. It might take a while since I'll have to train my players in the positions that they have to switch with etc, hopefully I can get the players to switch all the time. As you've said most of these tactics here aren't like the real Ajax total football so I want to be able to get it right which may take longer than other tactics.

Last edited:

Are you going to get them to swap when a player get's the ball? that's the hardest bit for me, the players occupying space, not just randomly putting swap...

Are you going to get them to swap when a player get's the ball? that's the hardest bit for me, the players occupying space, not just randomly putting swap...

I'm going to give it my best shot mate.

It works very well for me !
I take RC Lens at the 17th place in the French League 2 2013, in october
and at the end of the championship I'm the winner.

Thanks a lot maxy67 !

p.s : excuse my poor english

It works very well for me !
I take RC Lens at the 17th place in the French League 2 2013, in october
and at the end of the championship I'm the winner.

Thanks a lot maxy67 !

p.s : excuse my poor english

Glad to hear it!! Thats some turn around.

I like you tactic a lot :) One question - have you tried changing Standard to Attack or any other and have it worked for you. thanks!

so i joined this forum just now to show my appreciation....i too am using paris fc 2000 and things haven't been going so well in the league...i will use this tactic and give feedback asap...cheers

so i joined this forum just now to show my appreciation....i too am using paris fc 2000 and things haven't been going so well in the league...i will use this tactic and give feedback asap...cheers

Which league are you in with Paris FC? Hope it works for you!

I like you tactic a lot :) One question - have you tried changing Standard to Attack or any other and have it worked for you. thanks!

I'm going to do some testing with this today :) I haven't used it in a long time, so would be fun to do some more testing and updates.

im in championnate national...3rd tier of french football,i jus started the game...i played my first match wit this tac vs SAS Épinal and won 3-0 ^_^

Good result :) I got them up to the champions league then the game started going to slowly.

Any ideas which team to implement the total football tactic??
i was thinking of having a go my self but couldn't decide which team too use, maybe arsenal or at Madrid?

Back