rfcgreg

Reaction score
Rfcgreg’s 3 Back Tactic Pack

I have been a silent viewer for the most part on this website though I have recently been inspired to share this tactic that I have created. I would not describe this tactic as a plug-and-play, I have tweaked it countless times and I would imagine that you guys who download it will put your own stamp too.​

View attachment 344984
This tactic is inspired by the philosophies of: Antonio Conte, Roberto Martinez and Marcelo Bielsa. Each of these managers look to employ a 3 back system yet they all encourage different styles of play. I have taken parts of each of these styles and combined them to create a system of my own.

The Main Tactic

View attachment 344985

The system is based around a high pressure. The players are encouraged to close down all areas of the pitch whilst the back 3 hold a high line. There are no passengers in the team with everyone being required to put in a shift. With this tactic the team will play out from the back and look to launch attacks through the deep-lying playmaker (who is also the holder) in the midfield. The mentality is to take the game by the scruff of the neck and attack from the outset. With this system the lack of full backs can leave the team susceptible to overload situations on the flanks and exposed to counter attacks though after all aren't you always exposed when the other team is on the counter?

This is a much more conservative system which I have had great success with in European games. The defense will look to sit deeper than they would in the main tactic and overall the team has a much more solid shape. They will look to absorb pressure and hit the opponents on the counter. The complete forward will provide an out ball and will look to release other players into the game as the break at speed. If I was coaching a team in real life I would try to implement this formation as my main tactic, but with FM the AI loves an advanced playmaker in the AMC spot!

My Success with this tactic:

View attachment 344988
View attachment 345006
Decent first season finishes with both Parma and Dnipro. With Parma I went on to finish 3rd again, then second for 2 consecutive seasons and then win 5 titles in a row. With Dnipro I won the league in my second season and have yet to return to the save.

The Player Roles

The Sweeper Keeper

View attachment 345011

All you need to cover this position is a solid keeper who comfortable with the ball at his feet. A bit of pace doesn't go a miss either as he has to be quick off of his line. Most Spanish keepers fit the bill.

The Ball Playing Centre Backs
View attachment 345017
Again they need to be solid and good on the ball. Pace isn't essential, though it helps. I look for passing, creativity and technique to all be greater than 9. Don’t be afraid to try converting physical midfielders and full backs to play this role.

The Leader (DC)

View attachment 345033
This role is similar to what Gary Caldwell plays for Wigan. He is the spare man in the back 3 with the wide centre backs picking up the men. His job is to step out of the defense to block shots and win the ball in the air. He also offers cover in behind if it is needed and should be able to play a bit too. I like this guy to be my captain, he should play with his heart as well as the arm-band on his sleeve.

The Deep Lying Playmaker

View attachment 345037This guy is an integral piece of the puzzle. He holds the midfield when the team are attacking and acts as a pivot if they are looking to spread the pay. He will also look to pick the ball up from the defense and launch attacks.

The Box-to-Box Midfielder

View attachment 345045
This is based on the role that Marchisio and Vidal play for Juventus. They should be fairly combative in their style while good on the ball and in front of goal. An all-rounder is the best way to describe this player.

The Wide Men

View attachment 345059
The main attributes I look for in these guys are Dribbling, Crossing, Technique and Pace. Marking is also important and they need to do their fair share of tracking back. Defensive wingers are fairly rare so converting wing backs is often the best option.

The Advanced Playmaker

View attachment 345062
I have tweaked this role to be half advanced playmaker, half inside forward. This player looks to create when on the ball. When not in possession they will try to drag defenders out of position and generally cause problems. They will also arrive late into the box to try and get on the end of crosses so finishing and heading are stats that could turn this player into a goal scorer.

The Deep Lying Forward

View attachment 345071
Similar to the role that Vucinic plays for Juventus and Kone plays for Wigan. They drop off and look to receive the ball into feet. They will then either lay the ball off to a team mate or run at the defence. Creativity and First Touch are important stats.

The Complete Forward

View attachment 345082
This player is the focal point of the attack. They should be technically gifted, good in the air, a clinical finisher and have a strong physical presence.

Match Preparation

View attachment 345083

My Tips

· When coming up against a team that plays a lone striker change the middle defender from cover to stopper.

·
When trying to run the clock down, slow down the tempo and use the pass to feet and retain possession shouts.

·
Train players to play other positions at any opportunity. The more utility players the better with this tactic.

·
If you want to play a more direct game change the advanced playmaker to an inside forward and the complete forward to an advanced forward.

This is the first tactic I have uploaded on here so you feedback and constructive criticism is much appreciated.:D

Very nice OP, well done. Tactic looks interesting as well.

Very nice OP, well done. Tactic looks interesting as well.

Thanks, I tried to make it as in-depth as possible.:)

I will test this tactic with the Spurs :).

I think it would work well with Spurs. Players like Vertonghen, Bale and Lloris are perfect, even Sandro as a CB. I haven't tested it in England yet so let me know how you get on.:)

Do you use any shouts with these tactics? I like to use shouts so was wondering what you'd recommend

Last edited:
Do you use any shouts with these tactics? I like to use shouts so was wondering what you'd recommend

I don't have anything particular set. If I notice something in game that I feel needs changing or tweaked I'll use shouts. When trying to hold on to a narrow lead in the last 10-15 minutes I will normally stick on Retain Possession and Pass to Feet while bumping up the time wasting to often.