Schalke vs Manchester United - UCL Semi-Final 26/4 & 4/5

DMF

@dmf180593
Reaction score
Manchester United travel to Schalke for the first leg of the Champions League Semi-Finals, looking to break their hoodoo over German Clubs in the knockout phases.

United haven't beaten a German side over 2 legs in Sir Alex Ferguson's long reign as manager, but they'll have to break that if they want to get to a third final in 4 years.

Manchester United OFFICIAL Line Up:

VDS
Fabio - Ferdinand - Vidic - Evra
Nani - Carrick - Giggs - Park
Hernandez - Rooney

Schalke OFFICIAL Line Up:

Neuer
Uchida - Matip - Metzelder - Sarpei
Farfan - Papadopoulos - Jarudo - Baumjohann
Edu
Raul

This game is on Sky Sports 2 with K.O at 19:45GMT.

Thoughts? Can see us nicking it getting a few away goals, but no clean sheet.

Schalke 1-2 Manchester United

Last edited:
As posted in the Manchester United discussion thread, I find it stranger that SAF has named an out and out striker on the bench despite Michael Owen being match fit and looking sharpe after the recent games against Newcastle Utd and Everton. Nani is however on the bench so United have the option to change the formation to 4-3-3 if we wish to go more attackive.

Haven't seen the bench so didn't know that. Maybe he knows that we don't have to win tonight and another striking option isn't necessary.

Looking forward to this game greatly though I must say..

From what i've seen, Valencia starts and Nani is on the bench.

Van der Sar, Fabio, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Carrick, Giggs, Valencia, Park, Rooney, Hernandez
Bench - Kuszczak, Anderson, Smalling, Nani, Scholes, Rafael, Evans

Going for a 2-0 win for Man Utd :)

Haven't seen the bench so didn't know that. Maybe he knows that we don't have to win tonight and another striking option isn't necessary.

Looking forward to this game greatly though I must say..

PIG, Rafael, Smalling, Evans, Scholes, Anderson and Nani have been named on the bench.

2-0 for Schalke, a Papadopoulos header from a corner and a Raúl goal in the 88th minute.

Schalke 2-3 Manchester United - Raul, Farfan/Huntelaar - Rooney, Hernandez, Giggs

Giggs as a CM in a European away tie, never thought of this. Hope we get few away goals as well as win this game..

Schalke starting 11:

Neuer, Uchida, Matip, Metzelder, Sarpei, Farfan, Papadopoulos, Jurado, Baumjohann, Raul, Edu

Schalke bench:

Schober, Escudero, Plestan, Kluge, Charisteas, Karimi, Draxler.

Injuries to both Howedes and Huntelaar will be a huge blow to Schalke. Hopefully they're both out next week as well.

I haven't got the foggiest idea of the formation Schalke line up in - anyone shed any light so I can put it into the OP?

4-4-2:

Neuer;
Uchida--Matip--Metzelder--Sarpei;
Farfan-- Papadopoulos--Jarudo--Baumjohann;
Edu--Raul

(according to skysports)

4-4-2:

Neuer;
Uchida--Matip--Metzelder--Sarpei;
Farfan-- Papadopoulos--Jarudo--Baumjohann;
Edu--Raul

(according to skysports)

it'll play 4-4-1-1, its about as 4-4-2 as us

Done, thanks lads.. Any more predictions?