The Liverpool Thread

Continuing the conversation of Klopp's staff the biggest influence has to be Andreas Konmayer. He is the reason why there has been no all-out press and a more reserved approach this season. Will defo help us in the long run as the squad or first 11 won't be burnt out come springtime.

It's boring though, as without that chaotic, high energy, you haven't exactly got Chelsea/City's possession based tiki-taka in your locker. Prefer the way you played last season. Not giving anyone a seconds peace, going at them hard. We'll see over time if you're right & your reduction in pressing will indeed prove beneficial.

Making some big assumptions there d.
You would have to be very very very naive to think Buvac is coming back mate. This oh he left for personal reasons is just cover, he and Klopp have had falling outs before but not on this level. Its common knowledge the level of significant input Konmayer has on Klopp, Konmayer is not only a very good in the fitness side but he just like Pako( for Rafa in case you forgot) is well versed in football coaching.

It's boring though, as without that chaotic, high energy, you haven't exactly got Chelsea/City's possession based tiki-taka in your locker. Prefer the way you played last season. Not giving anyone a seconds peace, going at them hard. We'll see over time if you're right & your reduction in pressing will indeed prove beneficial.
Its not sustainable though and I understand why Klopp has gone for it this way. You have players coming back from a world cup year plus a shortened preseason and the pressure of having to challenge City and co. without losing pace come January. We will see if it works out for us come spring time.

Its not sustainable though and I understand why Klopp has gone for it this way. You have players coming back from a world cup year plus a shortened preseason and the pressure of having to challenge City and co. without losing pace come January. We will see if it works out for us come spring time.

Not quite sure if this way is sustainable either tbh, if we're being real it's a little bit of a flattering unbeaten run. Mahrez missed pen & Sturridge corker vs. Chelsea away from sitting in 6th a couple ahead of Howe's Bournemouth on different days (I know if's & but's can be used in most matches, but those particular incidents were crucial & very late).

Take the heavy pressing out of it, you're just a direct team, and that isn't a slight, it's just your heavy pressing is an art. That's what you're experts at. To abandon/soften it might mean you're a bit fresher coming from midweek to weekend, but what use is that anyway when you're purposely not performing your natural A game?

You would have to be very very very naive to think Buvac is coming back mate. This oh he left for personal reasons is just cover, he and Klopp have had falling outs before but not on this level. Its common knowledge the level of significant input Konmayer has on Klopp, Konmayer is not only a very good in the fitness side but he just like Pako( for Rafa in case you forgot) is well versed in football coaching.

I was refering to you putting the change from the second half of last season and a lack of intense pressing on the fitness coach.

Along with Buvac ‘supposedly’ leaving as his inout leasoned.

Not quite sure if this way is sustainable either tbh, if we're being real it's a little bit of a flattering unbeaten run. Mahrez missed pen & Sturridge corker vs. Chelsea away from sitting in 6th a couple ahead of Howe's Bournemouth on different days (I know if's & but's can be used in most matches, but those particular incidents were crucial & very late).

Take the heavy pressing out of it, you're just a direct team, and that isn't a slight, it's just your heavy pressing is an art. That's what you're experts at. To abandon/soften it might mean you're a bit fresher coming from midweek to weekend, but what use is that anyway when you're purposely not performing your natural A game?
I'd agree with you but now we have an actual first team that can dominate matches and not rely on one or two players to show up and perform. I think to say we're just a pressing team is a bit far off, you think we play 90 mins of heavy all out pressing against the teams outside the top 6. Majority of games we are the side that has the most possession especially at Anfield. Do you really need to be constantly playing your natural A game when you have a spine of Becker, Van Dijk, plus the front three? I don't really think so. The reason for us being out of sorts is a Klopp constantly changing the midfield and trying to get Fabinho and Keita etc... up to speed.

Like you a lot Rh so I’m giving the ‘flatering’ line bunkum the respect it deserves and miving on.

You do need to watch us more closely and understand the continuing evolution of this side though reading some of your comments of late though bud.

Moving on .....

I was refering to you putting the change from the second half of last season and a lack of intense pressing on the fitness coach.

Along with Buvac ‘supposedly’ leaving as his inout leasoned.
All I'm saying is that Kornmayer has a significant input on squad rotation etc... plus he is also a very good football coach. Heavy metal football is not sustainable over a whole season hence why we struggled the season before last after topping the table during Christmas if my memory is good. I don't get your sentence about Buvac but heck even Klopp last night confirmed he isn't even contact with him when a question was put forward to him.

Can I take the first three for a line?

‘Not too fussed’: Really aren’t. Makes little difference to the group and sets up a cauldren of an Anfield night the last game Napoli.

’Boss Trip’: What its ALL about. L’pool being dog **** from front to back doesn’t impact on an absolute belter of a trip.

Berlin’s always boss. And Sunday night was no exception. Even if getting in at half 4 the morning when yers a half 7 taxi booked the airport wasn’t the best idea we’ve ever had. And for all the natural pre-trip worries, Belgrade put them to bed and WAY surpassed all that. Top people who coupdn’t have been more friendly, welcoming and helpful. Cheap as chips. Superb ale and scran. The meal Monday in an absolute dream of an arl place is in my top 5 restaurant experience ever. Honestly. Unseasonal weather in the 20’s with not a cloud the sky so shorts and sunnies. Although it did dip the evening. One of the great, traditional European grounds ticked off the bucket list. Which lived upto ALL expectations. Cracking atmosphere. Shame about no pyro displays but the threat of the UEFA ban hanging over them has hit hard. Loved the mad passion after too with them still in the ground a good hour after and a mutual sing song and respect bouncing from end to end. Who knew we are Red Star fans English team and the biggest foreign one in Serbia? (Partizan favour Chelsea apparently.) Mad the amount of RSB fans we encountered with mixed feelings leading upto the match. A real friendship has been cemented these two games.

Totally recomemd Belgrade as a place to visit. The polar opposite to how its portrayed on the news and the political periah its been made into. Not least the people who are belters. With the added bonus of most all speaking excellent English which you don’t often get in Eastern Europe.

For all the horrendous **** the absolute **** hole that Naples continues to be, Belgrade was the complete opposite.

Really enjoyed the last few days and no football result was dampning that.

’Onwards. Best Season Ever Redmen’: Well, it the clubs beat ever PL start which has them a game off City and nicely place the CL group.

So there is that.

What do I win? *Smiles.

All I'm saying is that Kornmayer has a significant input on squad rotation etc... plus he is also a very good football coach. Heavy metal football is not sustainable over a whole season hence why we struggled the season before last after topping the table during Christmas if my memory is good. I don't get your sentence about Buvac but heck even Klopp last night confirmed he isn't even contact with him when a question was put forward to him.

I know why we srarted to tone it back last year. But I think you’re being WAY too kind to Andeas and the sports sciemce guys and not a manager whos consrantly learning and tweaking to the rigours of the English game.

What’s not to get on Buvac? Nottin’s been naturally said from any party so its pure speculation but the rumour about him being narked about his input not being listened to and storming out HT I find utter fantasy as everything else has always suggeated he involves everyone and wants as much input as possible, not least on new ideas, from them all.

Fortunatey for us Pep returning totally offsets Buvac to all intents and purposes leaving.

Agree to disagree then Scouse I think your being to kind to Klopp in this regard. He has a team around him for a purpose and sure he might have figuered this all out by himself but I highly doubt that. Also Kornmayar isnt just a sport science guy he is the head of fitness which means he is involved heavily in the squads conditioning etc... That has a direct impact on squad selection and how it plays out over the season. Who knows perhaps im reading into this too much.

I know how regarded Andreas is in his field D. Prehaps that read wrong. By ‘Andreas and the sports sciemce guys’ I was refering to the fitness department. And add the girl nutritionist I’m too tired to look up into that. Both her and Andrea’s captures from a P Munich have been massive in terms of the fitness of the group.

Which all leads into Klopp taking onboard all that information naturally. Just personally think that change has been evolving for a while regardless the more hes gotten experienced in this mad league. (Sidenote: Mad how most opposition fans and the lazy media at large still think of us as a crazy mad pressing team thats all chaos three years in. But thats a whole other discussion not for 12:10 in the AM.)..

Mad stupid time to be thinking of going the match.

Frigging TV!

Up the back on top Reds!

To ensure we are in the title race for as long as possible. Champions league midweek games last year were followed by abject performances during the weekend.

A little perspective here, Liverpool are 2 points of top, unbeaten heading into the 3rd international break. 30/36 points taken in the league having played Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs away and potential banana skin fixtures of Leicester and Palace away. Also have the joint best defensive record in the division!

And our champions league qualification is in our own hands in a group comprising of PSG and Napoli.

I mean come on...

Has there ever been an unbeaten run that wasn't flattering in relation to actual game-to-game performance? The Invicibles had like 15 draws, all it takes is one person to take a chance and there goes your unbeaten run.

Last edited:
I never realised Barcelona got beat at home Sunday by Betis. Leaves L’pool with the longest current unbeaten home league record in Europes top 5 leagues:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...erpool-barcelona-anfield-home-record-15402376

For all those idiots the media and opposition fans who mocked Klopp taking the players down the Kop to thank the crowd after the West Brom draw back in 2015, COMPLETELY missing the point and taking that TOTALLY out of context; who’s laughing now?

Together, ‘Fortress Anfield’ has been restored!