Sepp Blatter considers scrapping extra-time or reintroducing the failed 'golden goal'

Which is better?

• Golden Goal

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • Extra Time

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Differen

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

MFC1992

Banned
Reaction score
FIFA president Sepp Blatter is considering scrapping extra-time or reintroducing the failed 'golden goal' in attempt to promote attacking football.

This summer's World Cup was criticised for its negative tactics, with many teams deploying two holding midfielders and just one striker. That led to many cagey games, especially in the group stage when the first round of games saw the fewest number of goals ever scored in the finals.

Blatter now believes that scrapping extra-time, meaning games would go directly to penalty kicks, would force teams to play offensively. But opting for a return to the 'golden goal' would seem a retrograde step. The 'golden goal' was introduced by FIFA in 1993 and first used in an international tournament at Euro 96. The first ever 'golden goal' scored in a senior final was by 1995 Auto Windscreens Shield Final where Birmingham beat Carlisle United 1-0 thanks to a Paul Tait goal.

Then at Euro 96, Oliver Bierhoff netted the 'golden goal' at Wembley which defeated Czech Republic. France also beat Italy at Euro 2000 on the rule.

The 'golden goal' was eventually scrapped in football after Euro 2004 amid claims it actually promoted defensive, rather than offensive play. UEFA tried out the 'silver goal' which gave teams until the end of a half of extra-time to equalise, but that too failed to prove popular.

Blatter told FIFA.com: "We have to try to find a way to encourage free-flowing football in tournaments like the World Cup, with teams playing to win. We plan to take the opportunity to look at the concept of extra time as well. Often we see teams set themselves up even more defensively in extra time, in an attempt to avoid conceding a goal at all costs.

"To prevent this, we could go directly to a penalty shoot-out at full time, or reintroduce the golden goal rule. We'll see what emerges from the committee meetings. Football has become such a strategic game, with teams moving as a unit. It can be an impressive sight; gone are the days of simple tactics where you attacked then defended.

"But in the first few matches of the group stage in South Africa, we witnessed some teams that went out to avoid defeat, that were playing for a draw from the outset. This is a topic that I would like to discuss at upcoming Football and Technical Committee meetings.''

Blatter stressed that Spain's triumph was well-deserved and he also praised the quality of Argentina, Germany and Ghana: "For several World Cups now, we've been expecting a new champion to emerge. There was an element of hope that the champion would come from a continent that hadn't produced a winner before. South Korea came very close for Asia in 2002, while this time around, a couple of centimetres were the difference between Ghana making the semi-final and being eliminated.

"That said, Spain's success was well-deserved; in my opinion, they along with Argentina produced the highest quality of play. On top of that, they're both young teams, just like the German side that finished third, and Ghana. That's a good sign.''

I like Golden Goal.

That said, shouldn't he be using this time to introduce goalline technology?

I like Golden Goal.

He's a stubborn **** though, don't expect to see it until there's a new president (who doesn't follow his mindset)

This story is from ages ago :S but i would rather extra time than golden goal :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Golden Goal.

I agree he should be using his time for the intoduction of goalline technology not sitting on his **** trying to think of pointless things to put into the game.

Saying that though i wouldn't like to see a match go straight to penalties so i think if he is going to do something then bring back the golden goal.

Golden goal would be better in terms of excitement and this is why I would be in favour of that over extra time as it is now but I certainly dont think they should get rid of it.

Didnt this guy want to scrap the offside rule? dont listen to him anymore, talks ****

but on topic, i dont believe he should scrap the extra-time rule, but sure the golden goal will bring excitment but i dont know i just perfer extra time, the tension is enough, golden goal and you'd literally be crapping yourself if the opposition will get near the goal, dont think i could handle that personally.

Last edited:
Didnt this guy want tot scrap the offside rule? dont listen to him anymore, talks ****

but on topic, i dont believe he should scrap the extra-time rule, but sure the golden goal will bring excitment but i dont know i just perfer extra time, the tension is enough, golden goal and you'd literally be crapping yourself if the opposition will get near the goal, dont think i could handle that personally.

Scrap the offside rule? Blatter is stupid but not that stupid. :p

Extra time risks injuries, as tired players mistime tackles & aching muscles are more likely to rupture.

How many times have we seen negative teams shut up shop in extra time hoping to win the penalty shoot out ?
Golden goal would force them to go for it. Will the ultra conservative Blatter implement it ? Probably not.

golden goal easily, after penaltys its the worst way to lose a game. proper heartbreaker.

Golden goal is good, because everyone attacks from the start, and make extra time enjoyable, instead of wasting half an hour on watching teams trying not to concead a goal.

Silver goal followed by Cross-bar challenge - at least there's a bit of skill involved in hitting the crossbar :p

Golden Goal should be clearly the option, but with a few changes in regards to the previous rules.

Before, teams were playing even more defensively, because nobody wanted to lose, and both teams wanted penalties.

Golden Goal should be applied, until the goal arrives, no penalties involved. And its up to team, if they want to risk all the injuries involved and the tiredness. If you really want to pass through a stage, fight for it. If they want to play for 3 hours, so let be it. Just like in the NHL during the playoffs.

I dont think any serious manager would want such a risk...

Also, I would also like to see no draws in the group stages. Because that is also another thing that brings a lot of speculation to the third round of the group, calculating who is first or second in the group, and technically can choose who to play in the 2nd round. Something like this happened between Russia and Greece in the Basquetball world cup.

golden goal easily, after penaltys its the worst way to lose a game. proper heartbreaker.

cough cough champions league final ;)

but i enjoy penalty shootouts because they are so tense